My first day as a teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by smpeterson77, Dec 6, 2010.

1. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

As I drove down the road towards my school for my first day, I saw what looked like fire works up ahead. As I got closer, I realized that a car had hit an electric pole across the street, and the wires were in flames. The school lost power and heat and all the parents had to be called to pick up their kids. So my first day was entertaining the kids from 8 to 10 until all the parents came. Oh well! There's always tomorrow! I am a little disappointed that it wasn't fireworks in honor of my first day :lol:

Samantha

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Dec 6, 2010

Good luck tomorrow then!

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 6, 2010

Wow, what will the encore to that be? Tough to top that one!

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2010

Well, I guess you immediately experienced how anything can happen, and to always expect the unexpected. We just never know...Better luck tomorrow!

6. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2010

See, too bad that didn't happen when you really needed a break from the kids!

(Of course, I hope no one was injured.)

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

I guess that gives new meaning to the term "trial by fire". With pre-Christmas antsyness, a new teacher, then a event as exciting (for the kids) as that, they're sure to be WONDERFUL tomorrow. :D

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

I suspect the trial by fire's actually tomorrow...

9. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

Luckily the kids know me already, I've been putting in a few hours here and there over the past two weeks to get acquainted with everyone. And not too many were there yet since it was a little before 8 when it happened. It was funny that every time the wires sparked up, and the lights in the school flickered on and of, the kids turned into screaming running banshees. One of them asked if the man in the car died. Happily he was completely okay, and standing in our parking lot talking to police, so I could show them that he was fine!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Dec 7, 2010

mmmmmmmmmm So many car crashes to reinact in the block area and on the playground..........drink a lot of coffee on your way to work tomorrow?

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

wow!

My first day of teaching, I had a chipmunk that ended up finding its way indors to my classroom that was running around for almost a half-hour until animal control got it bribed outside.

You win :)

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2010

Our first day in this building was an interesting one. We had been in the building for 2 days (yes it was a quick move in and open house), so we were still getting used to everything. In the afternoon we were practicing how to get home, so our kids were spread out everywhere on the 1st floor. Then we were told to get in certain spots of the building because a we were under a tornado warning. So here we sit huddled up in the hallways, trying to get kids to their teachers a few at a time, waiting for a tornado. Since it was near the end of the day we had parents trying to pick up their kids early and we suggested that they all come inside. Luckily our building wasn't damaged, but we ended up have 3 vehicles smashed by trees and our entire front parking lot full of mud from the hill beside us. The tornado was gone by 4:00 (we get out at 3:00), but we had kids until about 7:30 that night.
    It was a very interesting 1st day of school!