My First Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by newteachfl, Jul 10, 2007.

1. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Jul 10, 2007

I'm a first year teacher (3rd grade) and I'm trying to figure out how to get my classroom set up. I read the threads with all of the different theme ideas, but I was planning on doing something different. I have four bulletin boards in my classroom, and I was going to do a different theme on each one (one for math, reading, student work, ect.) I've been looking at stores and I found lots of cute themed bulletin board stuff. I also got a cute "leap into learning" frog for my back to school with all the kids names on it. Has anyone ever set their room up like this? Do you think it will look alright? With all the cute stuff out there, I didn't want to limit myself to just one :)

Also, I want a cute reading area, and I was thinking about getting bean bag chairs for the kids to get comfy and read. Any other suggestions on chairs I can use? Or where I can get them (I haven't seem any bean bags throughout my shopping).

Last questions :) I want my kids to have book baskets so they can "book shop" on Monday and pick out 5 books and keep them at their desk all week. Any ideas on where I can buy these. I'd like the colorful plastic ones, not cardboard. And although I don't want to spend a lot of money, I will if I have to.

Sorry about all the questions, but thanks for the help :)

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

Book boxes- check out dollar tree store. Reallygoodstuff.com also has them.

Bean bags- I've seen them at Cosco and Target. I've been looking to buy one this year and haven't seen any yet, though. Maybe Walmart?

Pillows might be good for your reading area.

Regarding BB, I found a great site that gave me some ideas. I don't know if you already found this one yet. http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/
    She has some GREAT ideas for BB.

4. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Jul 10, 2007

First of all...congrats on your new job! I also teach third grade. Here's what I do with self-selected books. Instead of having book boxes, which take up lots of space that I don't have, I bought a large crate that holds hanging file folders. Each student gets to save their book in a file folder with their name on it.

Honestly, I only let them choose one book at a time. 5 may be a bit much, unless I misunderstood your reasoning behind it.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2007

I also plan to do the crate file folder idea. I should have shared that! I plan to have them get 3 books though, that way, if they finish duirng readers workshop time, they won't waste reading time to get a new book. Every morning, they have class time to look for a new book.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2007

I also use my bulletin boards for different topics; I usually go with math, Social Studies, reading/writing, and one about the students. The content boards sometimes have information and sometimes have student work.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 10, 2007

Buy chair cushions with plastic covers at the Dollar Store. They stack nice, don't have to worry about head lice, wipe them clean of germs, and they make something special for reading time and are cheap.

Buy your plastic baskets at the Dollar Store.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 10, 2007

I bought a new beanbag chair for $15 at Walmart last week.

9. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

Great theme

I love the froggy theme... I did that last year. There is a Hoppy Helpers classroom job chart that may look cute. For seating, I asked my sister to sew pillows. It was really cheap and the kids love to sit and lay on them. I also bought my book boxes at reallygoodstuff.com They have a great selection and they hold up pretty well.

10. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 10, 2007

MRS100- where did you get the hoppy helpers classroom job chart?

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2007

I just got hired to teach 3rd grade too. Hopefully we can swap tips!

12. Madee

Madee Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Bean Bags

I found some very cute beanbags at Big Lots. They were denim and quite cheap. I only paid $9.96 for "regular" beanbags and $ 19.96 for a bean bag that looks like a chair. If you have a Big Lots near by, it is worth checking into because they have a great selection of furniture at a reasonable price.:)

13. flamingolady

flamingolady Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

If anybody has a Garden Ridge near them. They have or had great sales on pillows and they have cheap bean bag chairs. In fact they are a good place to go look for many things for your classroom.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2007

OOooh, thanks for sharing that! I will have to go to Big Lots now.:D