My first classroom!

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by MrsRed, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

Okay, here is my first classroom! I work in small charter school geared towards the performing arts, and I am teaching 9th-12th grade math. Yes, I said math...and yet I have a map of Western Europe painted on one of my walls. It's actually pretty neat, and I am thinking about doing a History of Math Map, but it would be difficult since it's such a small part of the world. The other thing I am thinking about is doing a word wall with the map, maybe something like "Words Across the World." The words would start on one side when we first learn them, and as the kids are exposed to the word more I would move it across the map, and eventually to some ending spot to represent that they understand the word. What do you guys think?

Also, I had to squeeze 30 desks into my room, which is pretty small. Therefore, I did three double rows, with kids sitting right next to each other, and then two single rows with space between them. It was really the only way to fit everything in.

Okay, without any further ado...my classroom!

Before: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZuWbhuzaMmTlI

After: http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZuWbhuzaMmTnA

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 6, 2011

oops! Can't open the link

4. janney

janney Cohort

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

One caution, I worry about kids being able to get in and out of the desks (so be mindful about which kids you place on which side in the rows of two).

6. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

Thank you for reposting the links, janney! I couldn't get them to work.

mopar, I did take that into consideration....except for ONE desk, all of the ones that are on the right in the rows on two can be entered from either side, so the kids can get in on the right side of the desk. Since a lot of the desks can only be entered on the left, those are the ones that I started with when I placed the desks, and then I gathered all of the desks that can be entered from either side and started placing them next to the other ones. Thank you for that thought!

I was amazed I even got thirty desks in to my room! I played with the arrangement quite a bit, and I wouldn't have been able to fit everything if I hadn't put the rows together.

7. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

Wow. I can't believe the mess in the before pics! What a ton of work you've done already! Looks good.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

You could use the map to introduce the idea of graphing-- first the Cartesian coordinates to locate a point on a plane, then polar coordinates to locate a point on a sphere with the older kids.