My Fiance found a job that pays well! No more struggling

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 19, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 19, 2017

Hi you all,

I posted my woes and trials about trying to make it in life with little to no money on this board a few times. Me and my fiance just moved from an expensive apartment to a much cheaper and smaller space. We are rebuilding financially, and now have just enough money in both checking and saving compared to the 0 balance that we had in both accounts a few weeks ago. We are able to afford food to eat and pay bills without going broke. I am even happier now because my fiance just got hired at a chicken plant that pays 350 a week. It is not much, but it is a start. If he works overtime every other weekend I believe the pay doubles or triples. He is on a shift that works well for our schedule because we are currently depending on 1 car. His shift is from 2:00pm-10:00 pm. I am very happy and proud of him. He is also in the process of earning a GED.I am so blessed that he is in my life. The only downside is the plant is an hour away and hopefully will not cause wear and tear on the car. He is now getting the car tuned up for all of the traveling it will be doing.

I just wanted to share.

MetalTeacher likes this.
  3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2017

That's really great, I'm happy for you! Yes, my fiance' & I could use more money too & I know how it feels to be in an apt w/ high rent. This was the best-priced apt at the time I chose it for the location that it's in, but it continuously increases annually no matter what kind of negotiating you try to do, so that's a scary thing. But we live in a high COL state in general...California, so it's pretty high all over unless you want to live in the run-down, crime-ridden areas.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 19, 2017

Hi, I currently live in an increasingly growing mid-sized city in south Ga that is a college and military town. For 552 here which is what we are paying in rent every month, the apartment is either on HUD or in a bad area, but the place we moved to is on the north end of town in a great area. No crime and it is close to everything. Being that the city is growing, they are building apartment homes and subdivisions that is costing more than what the average person makes for a living here. That is because of the military community and the growing college crowd. I went to college here and graduated 2 years ago. I started as a juinior in 2013 and I can remember the traffic being less hectic. Now some years later, the traffic is becoming hectic and the population is growing

Ms. I likes this.
  5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2017

Hi, man oh man, I could ONLY dream to only pay $552/mo!!! I live in one of the hearts of my city. It's a really pleasant, safe city an hour from L.A. & my apt's 700 sq ft apt (1bed/1bath). I've lived here for 4 yrs now & when I first moved in, the rent was $1200/mo & I had a dog, so they charge $45/mo for pet rent too. Now, it's $1510/mo & every June, I get practically another $100 increase, then another & so on. Rats! :confused::mad:

There's other apts as close as down the street from me & nearby for about $1650/mo & UP & they are at least a little newer. Slightly less expensive complexes are either a little old OR they're not cheap enough to be worth moving into them.

It's hard to save up for a house due to this high rent, but the rent will just keep going up & up until people can't afford it anymore & have no choice but to move. I've been very blessed to still afford it so far & I live alone!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 19, 2017

Wow, very happy for you!!!!!!
    You made me realize how lucky and blessed I really am.
    We rent a small 2bed/1bath home for $1100/month, but still can afford to buy whatever we want. I don't think we've ever even uttered the word "budget", and we've been together 10 years now and getting married later this year

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2017

Without a solid budgeting plan, more money won't necessarily need to fewer problems. In fact, as the adage goes, mo' money, mo' problems. Figure out a budget that you can live with, make sure that you're adding to your savings every single month, and stick to that plan.

8. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 19, 2017

Awesome! Congrats!

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2017

That's awesome!! Congrats to you and your fiance!

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 20, 2017

Check this out - with 30 days notice, they can raise the rent 10% legally in CA. We're in our 3rd year at our current place and they've raised it 10% each year. We're in a 1060 sq ft 2 bedroom and started about where you were and currently pay about $100 less than you do - but we're also in northern CA (NOT Bay Area), and rents are much cheaper here. Before this, we were paying $1610 for a 670 sq ft one bedroom in Pasadena that is now going for $2k+!! We've got the $50 pet rent too - $25 for each cat. :( Rent in CA is really rough right now because they haven't built fast enough to keep up with demand and the vacancy rate is SO LOW. They can really charge whatever they want. We're looking to move back into a one bedroom to save money, but we're worried about even getting a place because of the low vacancy, especially in June when we'll need to move.

Anyway, OP, I'm really glad that things are looking up for you! If you haven't already, I'd set up some Excel spreadsheets and start budgeting to maximize your money. You should even be able to start putting some in savings! Even if it's less than $100 a month, every little bit counts.

Ms. I likes this.
  11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 20, 2017

yellowdaisies, yep, it's really something alright! I'm not in the Bay area myself, but Pasadena's up there too. There was one year where I stayed pretty much 2-3 mos ahead on my rent, just to feel better about it & not have to pay on the 1st every single time. I'm trying to get back ahead by 2-3 mos. Can it just keep going to $2000, $3000, $4000, $5000, & so on w/ no end in sight?

But, what's a person to do? How does one save money or afford it ANYWHERE if it keeps increasing? Moving to a low COL state is out of the question for me & I wouldn't want to anyway. I never had a roommate & I don't plan to have one anytime soon. I don't want to move back in w/ my mother. Nothing against her. It's just that once you live on your own, it's hard to come back & live at home & I love my privacy.

Buying a tiny home is starting to look OK, ha!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 20, 2017

I think I actually know where you are from a conversation on here a looong time ago - I have some friends near you.

I totally know what you mean about the constant increases. I know that when the apartments are going to new renters for less/the same as current renters are paying, they won't raise it, or at least not as much. Problem is, the rents just keep climbing, like you said...it's pretty scary.