My elopement dress! And how do you get married?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Jul 20, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2012

I went to Germany for break and I bought my elopement dress! Do you guys think it would look okay with light brown cowboy boots? It'll be cold and I don't have any closed toe shoes except for cowboy boots. I also can't wear any really high heels since I have bad ankles.

(excuse the kind of random picture, I didn't feel like cropping)

[​IMG]

We're planning on eloping in January in Colorado. But I don't really know how to do it. I've looked it up online and it just says rules and stuff. But I don't know what kind of paperwork I need to fill out. And who needs to sign it. I guess I just go to the courthouse and they tell me stuff? Don't laugh I've never married before:whistle:

Oh and also, my boyfriend is not a US citizen. Online it just says we need photo IDs, do you guys think he would also need a birth certificate? Or would a passport be enough?

And I can't ask my mom or dad since we're keeping the elopement a secret until the day before. That'll be a nice surprise!:lol:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2012

I think you need to call the courthouse of the county you plan to be married in. They should be able to help you. You wouldn't want to find out there is a road block when you get there. It'll be better to know ahead of time.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

Don't worry about shoes...cowboy boots sound fun!

Definitely contact the state/town where you will be getting married.

Congrats...make your day your own. Have fun.:)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

I agree... you need to speak to someone in the county in which you plan to get married. I would be very surprised if a photo ID were all that were needed for a non-citizen to get married in the US.

As to the cowboy boots, let's just say they wouldn't be my choice. If you love the look, great, go with it. But your elopement isn't until January--lots of time to get some dressier shoes if that's what you really prefer. I don't think you need a very high heel, just something more in keeping with the style of that lovely dress.

ETA--this should help on the paperwork:
    http://www.elopeincolorado.com/

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2012

The dress is really pretty!

I'm not sure about eloping-I agree that you should call the courthouse and ask them.

7. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 20, 2012

My husband & I got married at the courthouse (after being together 15 years). In our city we needed to have the marriage license before the judge would marry us. Additionally we needed to schedule a date to see the judge. So you may need to plan ahead a bit. I'll take this planning though over a full scale wedding. I don't know how brides do it. :woot:

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I think the boots will be cute. Congrats on the elopement! I married a non-US citizen and I don't remember the details, but it was super easy. I don't remember needing anything special.

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

Two people I know got married wearing cowboy boots. I think it's a super cute look!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2012

No idea about the logistics, but your dress is lovely!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2012

The dress is lovely! And I'm not sure on the specifics of what's needed, but congrats!

12. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

I'm useless with the details on this one, but I think boots could be cute if that's your thing. Congratulations! :)

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2012

I love the look of cowboy boots with dresses, especially white ones. And I rarely have a positive fashion opinion, so you know I really mean it! It will look awesome! :)

We eloped...just stopped by a courthouse, showed our drivers licenses, and signed a small slip of paper. Presto! But I would research the particular state and county, for sure.

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 20, 2012

We eloped.
    We had a marriage certificate for the judge to sign.
    We had to schedule an appointment with the judge and have 2 witnesses.

15. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jul 20, 2012

You might want to check with the U.S. embassy in the country where you are at to find out the regulations for marrying non-U.S. citizens. Some of them are humdingers! If you don't jump through all of the hoops, your soon to be husband could be deported.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2012

Thanks everyone! I'll call the courthouse sometime next week to get the details. I'm hoping it won't take too much prepping since we'll only have a week there to get married and then fly back to Costa Rica!

He won't get deported because we won't be living in the USA until we are granted a spouse visa:) And then he will be a legal permanent resident.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 20, 2012

Love the dress. I'm not a fan of cowboy boots, but I saw a picture on Pinterest recently of a bride wearing a knee-length dress with brown cowboy boots. Not my style, but it looked surprisingly cute!

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

Cowboy boots aren't my thing, but with that dress I think it'll be perfect! Have fun!

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2012

So I showed my boyfriend the dress, which he loved, but he totally hated the cowboy boots. :lol: Guess I'll be looking for something different! Got plenty of time:)