My dream job turned into a nightmare!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JesusIsMyTeach, Oct 5, 2019.

1. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Oct 5, 2019

Hi everyone, I am so overwhelmed but always praying.
    This is my first year at this middle school and it's teaching an elective part time. I had previously worked as a 6th grade teacher for 5 years at another school that had poor leadership.

I'm teaching the Arts so when I saw it I thought it was a dream come true. It would've been if they had let me do applications to get in my elective. It's a total nightmare. I spend 90% of the class doing management than teaching. I was known at my previous school for great classroom management. It's like they've never heard of rules before. The school as a whole is a discipline issue. It's really hard and I would leave mid year if I didn't care about not getting another teaching job. I'm just going to stick it out but I'm not sure how much more I can take. I'm definitely not going back to this school next year. At least I can say my reason for leaving is because I want a full time job.

How early can you start applying to other schools?

Thank you for reading. :)

3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2019

It is still kind of early in the school yr here. We have not done 1st quarter report cards yet. A lot of times, kids are unruly at 1st. It takes time for them to get to know your expectations. Since you have a good track record w/ classroom management, you may want to wait awhile to see if behaviors change enough.
    If not, I think you could start applying now if you see jobs that look interesting, but be prepared for backlash if your admin finds out. ( Like a reference call.)
    If you really want to apply for next school yr, find out when teacher contracts are sent out and submitted in the district you want. Then do it asap. I constantly hear P's say things like if you don't fill it asap( way before summer vacation) and wait until the new school yr, you get all of the left overs. They say the best have been snatched up. I don't know why I have heard that so often lately, but I have. I don't see the truth in it, but it seems to be a popular belief around here.

JesusIsMyTeach and bella84 like this.
  4. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Oct 5, 2019

Yea, I'm going to complete this school year. I'm just going to go elsewhere next year. I'm not leaving now lol.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. StarryEyedMess

StarryEyedMess Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

I feel so deeply for you. I am a first year middle school teacher. Mind you, I am on an intern credential, and I need this job to fulfill it, but man...My students sound just like yours. They are rabid animals that have never be civilized. We are 8 weeks into school, and I still have to make them get out of the classroom and re-enter properly! Like you, I spend 90% of my class time trying to wrangle them! It's quite madness. I don't feel like a teacher anymore, just a burnt out babysitter, and I never signed up for this. I hate that we are both kind of stuck in these positions, but you will be in my prayers. I have been through war and back, and this is literally much worse than any of that.

JesusIsMyTeach likes this.
  6. JesusIsMyTeach

JesusIsMyTeach Rookie

Oct 9, 2019

Hey there!! You will be in my prayers too. I teach electives so I was able to have two students switched out of my classroom. It's crazy though because those very students will try to come back in or say "hey you didn't want me, you kicked me out of your class." I feel students have no right to come up to an adult like that and my principal agreed.

Hang in there and just know that somewhere, I'm going through the same thing. It's not you so don't beat yourself up over this. Keep praying and know that this too shall pass. You must have class periods correct? At least they are there for that amount of time and then they go to the next class. Please let's keep in touch. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Tired Teacher likes this.