My Dog's Finally Getting Neutered

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2010

My dog is scheduled to be neutered NEXT WK. I have the day off, so I can drop him off & pick him up. If anyone has any info to make me aware of, please let me know! I wish I didn't have to do it, but I guess it's better. My ONLY reason for doing this is to prevent testicular cancer & other potential health issues. (Getting a dog pregnant accidentally isn't an issue for us.) Thanks & send us good thoughts!

I do have a question (if anyone knows the answer):

I have the choice of having dissolvable OR non-dissolvable stiches. With dissolvable, the healing isn't nearly as fast & the vet requires 3 wks of inactivity. But w/ non-dissolvable, it's 1 wk of inactivity. My dog's not that active anyway, so that's not really the issue, but WHICH IS BETTER? I suppose the NON-DISSOLVABLE ones that heal quicker.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

My baby only needed glue because the laser incision was so tiny. He was out of sorts for the day but recovered quickly!

I understand your concern because it was a major decision for me to have my dog castrated. I know some may believe this to be a little odd, but I found it to be simply against nature, so I was very hesitant. But the health research finally swayed me.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

My dog and I went through quite the ordeal when he was neutered...

I had him neutered at the local humane society (low-cost) and he received the dissolvable stiches (no choice on what kind he'd receive), but after a day or two of being neutered, he developed a nasty infection at the incision site. I took him to his vet and discovered that he was allergic to the material of the stiches. Eek. The vet removed them and he went on a course of antibiotics - all was better within a week.

No matter which kind you choose and as I'm sure you will, watch your pup closely for any kind of infection.

Do you walk your pup much? I couldn't imagine not walking my dog for 3 weeks since we walk 2 mi. everyday! I'd go with the stiches that heal faster.

5. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

My cat had to go in and have the dissolving stiches removed because they didn't dissolve and she got an infection.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

I'd go with faster healing.

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

Just got back from a 11.5 mile hike....... with an elevation gain of 3000 plus feet through rough terrain ....... I sit down at happy hour and log onto to AtoZ...... and see this thread......:eek::eek::eek:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Congrats!!

Make sure they do a blood screening before putting him under. I know it costs a little more but it's worth it.

As for the stitches, I would go with the non-dissolving. My dog was glued (he was a malamute) and the glue didn't work well. My female Mya had dissolving and they didn't dissolve so they had to cut her back open to get them out. That sucked. Quinn the puppy had the kind you cut out. I liked them the best.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

In my parish, you have to pay $500 a year to license a non-neutered or non-spayed animal so mine have all been fixed when they hit 6 months. We did the dissolving stitches with my cat but I also did it while we were in Disney World for a week and he had to board at the vets while we were gone.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

With older dogs, sometimes there is some swelling. My rescue was about 7 months when we had him neutered, and (to be blunt) his balls swelled to the size they were before and almost pulled the stitches out! They went back down in a couple of days, but we had to really watch him.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

I think some men should be neutered as well.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

:spitwater:
    :toofunny:

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

:lol:

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2010

And, at the risk of being seen a traitor to my gender:

There are quite a few women out there who should most definitely NOT be adding to the gene pool!!!!!

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

You got that right Alice, but if the men were neutered, we wouldn't have to worry about that now would we?!

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2010

No, but I think we should be more proactive.

Do you want to take the risk of one of the borderline guys and one of those women??

Just think: Roseann Barr hooking up with Joey Buttafuco... Paris Hilton with ANYONE....

17. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

I'm not in the mood for proactive. Truth is, I have no idea what you're talking about.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Now there's a truly frightening thought.

Sometimes I wish there was a test you had to pass to unlock your fertility. Sort of like a video game...unlock your fertility at level 97!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

I've always thought along those lines as well, but there would have to be a judge of some sort to decide who would qualify. I would love that job though!:lol:

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Actually if you are a parent of a special needs child then you can have them altered at the age of 18. If you can prove to a judge that the child will not be able to raise a child.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

Never heard that before Jaime. Interesting. Wow.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Well at least where I am that is the case. I only know because a mother of a special need's boy I worked with did have him altered. She had to go to court to do it. but the judge approved.

23. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Apr 29, 2010

We had out cat neutered and the incision was so small they didn't stitch it up. It scabbed over and healed up fine. Our bull calves are neutered with rubber bands because it doesn't hurt after the first minute. In fact anything on our ranch that is domesticated that isn't supposed to breed is fixed - husbands included! :)

24. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 29, 2010

We had trouble with the glue as well, it just didn't keep the incision closed and then he got a slight infection.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 30, 2010

Hmm, some mixed feelings about dissolvable vs. nondissolvable, but I'll probably go w/ the nondissolvable.

I walk him maybe once a wk honestly. (I know, should do it more often.)

Yes, I heard about that too. Thanks for the reminder! I hope it doesn't cost too much.

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2010

My dog is in the hospital today. He is getting his teeth cleaned and some extracted. :( He has a heart murmur so he needs extra monitoring. He had the blood work done this morning. They will be waking him up from anethesia in about two hours. Poor little guy. I know he is going to be miserable. I can't wait til I can bring him home.

He didn't have any problems after his neutering Ms. I. I'm sure Yoshi will be just fine! :)

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 30, 2010

kinderkids, I hope everything turns out well for your little guy! And thanks for your good wishes.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2010

TY and you're welcome MS I. I picked him up and my poor furbaby! :( They had to remove 7 teeth. He is miserable. I feel sooooooooo bad for him. I am so glad this day is done. I worried about him all day.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2010

Oh, Kinderkids, I can't imagine. Poor baby. And you as well...I would be a mess. :(

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2010

So he's back home now & seems to be in no pain. I can't believe how incredibly calm & docile he is! I'm used to the rather excitable, fun-loving character he used to be. I sure hope this is temporary. I fed him a small amt of turkey & some vanilla yogurt, which he ate right up! He hasn't drank any water yet.

31. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

May 5, 2010

I think it's best to go with the non dissolvable ones. That way when your dog goes back to the vet to get them taken out, he or she can check one final time to make sure everything is okay with your baby.

32. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 5, 2010

Is one type easier to pull out than the other? When my cat had his leg amputated he had to go back and get his stitches redone three times because he kept pulling them out

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2010

I chose to have dissolvable stitches. If not, I'm sure they would have been the metal types, which sounds painful in itself & I don't want him in any more pain/discomfort than he already is to have them removed. It will be easy for me to keep him inactive.