My doggie died :( (What's wrong with my dog??)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

I am at a loss of what to do and what to think.

I have 3 German Shepherds. The oldest, Oso is about 8 years old (to the best of my knowledge)
    Yesterday I took them for a walk, and after that this was his behavior
    - laid on my couch, moping around - unusual, almost never does it
    - didn't eat all his food and had no interest in it - VERY unusual, he's always hungry times 3
    - kept laying down then getting up, laying down somewhere else, changing positions, wanted to go in my room, laid down, got up, laid down somewhere else, could never get comfortable - high unusual, never seen him doing this
    - got up on my bed, kept changing positions - never does this, only gets on my bed maybe once or twice a year
    - crawled under my bed and would not come out for 2 hours. Kept changing positions, but wouldn't come out to any of the usual trigger words (eat, walk, etc). I begged him, everything.

I was crying the whole time, and I'm not a cryer. Up until this I hadn't cried for about 2 years. Maybe more.
    I was convinced that he went in there to die and I was never gonna see him again alive. Dogs do that, they often go away to die alone. I was devastated.

Still decided to go to sleep, after hours he came out, laid around again, then went outside to pee (yes I watched him). Came back in, all wet and got on my bed. I let him lol. Every started all over, but he didn't go under my bed. He was in the livingroom.
    I went to sleep, woke up at 2 am and 5:30 am to check on him. Same behavior. Just calm, sad, slow motion.

Woke up, so glad to see him ok. He just acted and still acts like he aged 10 years. Didn't want to eat, hasn't eaten all day but eventually drank enough water. Laid around in the backyard in the wet grass all day. Even right now. Nothing interests him. He hardly moves.
    He seems weak and slow motion, acts like he can hardly get up, but when he walks he doesn't limp or anything, walks normal just slow.

The other 2 dogs check on him, lick his nose but leave him alone. They're eating a lot of grass, especially one of them. My mom suggested that maybe a rat got into the backyard that previously ate poison and now they ate it. I researched all forms of rat poison and scenarios, but he doesn't have any of those symptoms.
    My mom also suggested he might have fever that's why he's outside and laying in the cold grass. research the symptoms, he doesn't have them.

I really don't know what to do. sorry for the long post I just wanted to write down all the details.
    I honestly don't want to take him t the vet, because they probably would have no idea and would need to do blood work and all kinds of things that would cost close to a $1000 ad might not even work. I might sound cheap and uncaring but I can't afford it. When he was poisoned 3 years ago I found out for sure that he was poisoned, yet nothing came back in his blood work and the vet couldn't even do anything. I let him ride it out although I was very worried but didn't know what else to do. He was on very bad shape though.

Right now he doesn't seem to be in very bad shape I'm just worried because of his unusual behavior and the fact that he's not eating.

I'm usually not the type who overreacts, so right now I'm wondering if I'm over reacting or underreacting.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences or anything? He isn't worse than he was yesterday, maybe he's getting better?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2020

Not eating is never good with a food motivated dog. Could his stomach be flipped? Has he has gastroplexy surgery to prevent this?
    Hoping he is better, but I would go to the vet if no improvement by tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Tired Teacher and Linguist92021 like this.
  4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

I'm not sure. I though if he had stomach issues he would at least eat some grass. But he's just laying there (in the same spot he's been for 2 hours) with his head held up, staring into front of him.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

I did a little experiment. I brought him his leash and gently nudged him to go for a walk. Not physically but with words, He became interested and then we went outside, very slowly walk up to my driveway then he stopped and didn't want to walk further. When I said let's go home, and he started walking and is now laying here in the kitchen.

I just wanted to see him walking. He acted like it as so hard for him to get up, he kept trying so that looked bad but walking was normal just very slow. He didn't appear to be in pain.

Lately he's been 'moaning" a lot, instead of whining or crying it was a deep moan, I always joked that he was about to speak human lol. He just always looked like he had so much to say.
    But I haven't heard of any of it since yesterday. No whining, nothing.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 25, 2020

https://www.ethosvet.com/blog-post/german-shepherds-and-gastric-dilatation-volvulus-gdv-or-bloat/

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...1/01/gastric-dilatation-volvulus-surgery.aspx

Let me wish you the best of luck. I lost a collie that had almost finished his championship to this, and have had friends with dogs of different breeds, but most of them of a similar size and body type that have had gastric dilation/twist/bloat. Tacking the stomach to the abdominal cavity can be a life saver. Worth looking into to. Let me wish you the best of luck with your fellow. :hugs:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Backroads likes this.
  7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 25, 2020

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 25, 2020

Poor pup! We always say we wish our dogs could talk so they could tell us what is wrong. Is there a line you can call for advice from the vet’s office. We did that when one of our dogs tried to eat a toad and started vomiting, drooling, and foaming at the mouth. They were very reassuring and answered all our questions.

Hope your dog recovers.

Linguist92021 likes this.
  9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2020

I'm very sorry your dog is not feeling well. Can you call your vet today and just ask for their advice? We can help you as much as we can here, but it sounds like you need expert advice from a professional. Good luck!

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Thank you everyone. Well, he's not looking worse, just laying around. He keeps his head up a lot of the times, so it's not lie he's completely weak. If I didn't notice all the strangeness before and the not eating, I wouldn't even notice probably. He's kind of a lazy dog.

But, he's still not eating so I am calling the vet's office. Their line is busy so hopefully I'll get an appointment today.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2020

I'm glad to hear he isn't any worse today. Maybe the vet will be able to give you some advice without you having to take him in.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

They seemed really busy, at least on the phone (or maybe understaffed). I was on hold for a while and had to keep calling back. I feel that it's easier to explain everything in person, he can look at him, take his temperature, do what he needs to do. Luckily the office visit is not outrageous (I think it's $40 or something) and he's a nice doctor.

The funny thing is when I took him when he was poisoned I swear he thought the doctor cured him, because he walked out of there with renewed energy, hopped inside the car (on the way there we had to lift him up), and he just got better by the hour. I guess even dogs know who doctors are and what they do :) This is an excellent example of the placebo effect :)
    I wouldn't believe it if someone told me but it really happened.
    So deep down I'm hoping maybe it will happen again
    Maybe he's just depressed because we have to shelter in place? Just kidding, his life is actually better now since I'm at home, and I've been taking them on longer and more frequent walks.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

I was thinking he sounded like he was depressed. If your routine has changed they will pick up on it. I know on the dog sites I follow people say that if a significant event occurs (like another dog dying) the pets will become depressed.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

He definitely acts depressed. But my routine changed positively. I'm home all day long, so he should like that. We go on more and longer walks because I'm afraid I'll gain wait staying at home with no gym :) And I have more time.
    O the weekends we still go camping, for 2 weeks we couldn't because it was nonstop raining or snowing in the mountains but we went this last weekend.
    I still have the other 2 dogs in the house, so nothing has happened that would be bad.

For him not to want to eat is very bad. He could eat and eat and get very fat if I let him. But at least he keeps drinking water. Yesterday his nose and head felt warm, so I was thinking maybe fever or higher temp, but today it's back to normal cold.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Ima Teacher likes this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

This! A really good friend of mine had an Irish Wolfhound that had to undergo this very surgery because their dog experienced torsion, which is what causes their stomach to flip. Apparently, this can sometimes happen in larger dogs.

17. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2020

Your dogs are beautiful!

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Thank you

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Omg. What a horrifying, emotional rollercoaster day this was.
    Took him to the vet, they did bloodwork and xrays and said he probably has GDV (which is what some of you guys mentioned), or some kind of torsion. Either way it's some kind of twist in the digestive system and it is life threathening. He is very dehydrated so they gave him some fluids.
    Referred me to the emergency vet / hospital which of course charges double for everything, even told me that the surgery would cost $4-5000. Called another hospital, non-emergency, they didn't even answer the phone.

So, at first they said it's not GDV, he doesn't have those symptoms and he would not have survived 36 hours like that. So I feel relieved and no longer worry that much.
    Then the doctor comes in and says no, it's not GDV, but it's just as bad, instead of the stomach being flipped / blocked, it's the colon twisted and blocked. He needs surgery, will not survive without one.
    What's worse is that we have to see if he can even survive surgery, even if it looks good, they can discover things during surgery and might not be able to fix it, and he might die anyways.
    All in all I'm thinking I cannot even afford surgery, I just don't actually have that kinda money, even spread out on my credit card. Just traded in my old truck and got another one and put down $3500.
    So, even though they got the xrays from the other vet, they said it's not good. They'll take new ones, send them out to a radiologist and have them look at it, and take a different type of blood test to see a lot of important things the other one didn't show.
    So far #385, which now makes it over $700 I've spent today.

They said it would take just an hour. So I go out to my truck and sit there and cry for the whole time. I picked up 2 brochures that provide credit for these situations, and they both decline. Not surprised.

And I'm just thinking in my mind that they will say he needs surgery, o r he won't even survive it, so I just take him home and euthanise him. He can't eat, can't poop, will die and will be in pain. So I just keep crying.
    I've heard of a service called Peaceful Passing, they come out and you can have a funeral for your pet. You have an hour, he can lay there, they give him a pain killer so he won't suffer anymore, you can give hi his favorite, even forbidden food because now it doesn't matter, invite family, play soft music, say good buy, and then they give him a sedative, then when he falls asleep they give him euthanasia.You can even call in your other pest so they see and understand.
    Then you can choose to have your pet cremated and they do a paw print, and bring back his ashes in an urn, or you actually have a lot of different options (burial, mass or individual cremation, etc)
    I always knew I would do it this way. So I'm looking them up, and crying and not believing he won't be here anymore.

It was horrible. I'm prying for a miracle.
    Then I go in, and they say he actually doesn't need surgery!! The new xrays who that nothing is twisted, he does have a lot of gas in his stomach and colon, and there is probably something there, but he doesn't need surgery and his life doesn't seem to be in danger. His blood work came back really good actually.

They offer me to leave him there, we might need to do ultrasound because we still don't know what is going on. Could be cancer, he could maybe needing surgery later, or maybe he ate something really bad. So with all the hospital stay, extra this ad extra that their proposal is $3500.
    The doctor was very cool though, she explained everything, every little thing that could be wrong with him.

But I said let me take him home, I'm at home all day, I can monitor him, give him some fluids in an IV because he's severely dehydrated, and I can take him to the local vet tomorrow for a follow up and more fluids if needed. She said ok, that sounds good, also suggested an antinausea injections, I agreed.
    So I paid a total of $580, which brought to about $1000 for today. But my doggie is ok !!!

Told her I was going to camp at the river, is it ok? He's laying outside all day long, there's no difference, and I'm in a trailer, so it's nice and comfy at night. She said that sounds good just don't let him drink from the river.

So we came home, he ctually drank a lot of water, so that's a good sign. Still doesn't want to eat. I was told to make him some yummy chicken and rice, 4-5 small meals for a few days, hopefully he'll eat it.

So here we are. I'm all cried out but ok for now. He's ok for now.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 26, 2020

That’s quite a day. Hopefully your pup makes a full recovery.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 26, 2020

Thank you for telling me about Peaceful Passing!
    I looked them up and they’re located here in the
    Central Valley!
    Hoping I won’t need their services for a few more decades (I wish)!

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2020

What a roller coaster! I hope things will be okay.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 27, 2020

Please keep us updated!

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 27, 2020

Last night I made hi some chicken. Half chicken breast in oil with a little salt, cut into small pieces.
    He ate about 4-5 pieces and a little dog food - it was in the bowl. So I made some for this morning. This morning did not want to eat.
    I took him to the local vet for them to look at him and I was thinking to give him more fluid it he needs it. He's been drinking a lot of water and looks much better, his ribs don't stick out.
    I was thinking the antinausea medication made him want to eat, so maybe they'll give him another shot and some in pill form for me to give it to him.
    That's what they did, along with 5 days of antibiotics, just in case. Came home, didn't want to eat, until much later, ate a little more chicken and some rice. It was actually a nice amount.
    Just now I gave him some more, the chicken had to be torn in even smaller pieces and then he ate. He finished almost all the chicken, so that's good.

I wanna see him poop though. He's been inside the house all day. He peed (a lot) right outside at the vet's office, but once he goes out to the backyard I'll follow him around lol. If I see that he can poop, then I'll feel better because then if we can just get him to eat he will get stronger and maybe completely recover.
    At this point we still don't know what's wrong with him.

25. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:41 AM

How is your precious doggie today?

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 29, 2020 at 1:25 PM

Thank you for asking. Not worse but not better.

The bad:
    - since Tuesday he only ate Thursday, twice a small amount.
    - Yesterday he hardly drank any water.
    - Still lethargic and just lays around all day.

The good:
    - he overall drinks an ok amount of water. (it's probably not enough but he's not as dehydrated as before) today he has been drinking a lot.
    - He goes for very little walks, but at least he wants to do it and he's not shaking, limping or walking differently so he's not that weak. He's just very slow.
    - I got some 10 ml syringes and used those to give him his medication.
    - I also used those to put some pumpkin puree in the and put it in his mouth. 4 of them.
    - I'm going to puree the chicken I just made (he didn't want it) with some chicken stock and maybe green beans and rice and at least get some in his stomach.
    - gross: I think he may have been pooping. I don't see it and haven't seen him doing it but looked at his but :) nd saw fresh left over poop. now it's gross but I was very happy about it. He's probably too sick to clean himself.
    - overall he doesn't look bad, it's just the lethargy and not eating.

I have wonderful friends who have been through this and similar situations and have been giving me advice on what to do. 2 of them had dogs with same behavior and didn't eat 5 days and the other 6 days and they were ok. So I'm hoping he will recover. I'm hoping but deep down I'm prepared for the worst so it won't be such a shock.

One wonderful friend set up a GoFundMe account for some of the expenses. I couldn't bring myself to do it so she did it for me. If I do get those donations and my mom sent me $2000 and me getting paid and getting that stimulus check, maybe I could afford surgery. If we have that much time.

27. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:04 PM

I'm hoping for the best for you. Please keep us updated. We care.

28. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:33 PM

Thank you

Right now I'm very sad. Since I gave him some pumpkin puree and he's been drinking a lot of water today I thought he would have more strength and be able to walk longer. Asked him if he wanted to walk, go up, we went, and we only got to the front of the house. He stopped laid down, and didn't want to move. I sat there with him for 20 minutes then we came inside. His ribs are sticking it out again, drinking this much shouldn't leave him dehydrated. He looks so weak and sad.

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:00 PM

I am sorry he is not better.

30. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:49 AM

My beautiful doggie died yesterday. He wasn't any better and then around 1 pm he cam einside and just stood there and didn't know what he wanted. Then l aid by the door but noticed that he was breathing a little faster. I just sat there and hugged him and kissed him. I noticed a tear drop fall from his eye and one from the other. That broke my heart. I knew he was dying.
    I was sitting there but somehow I didn't think he would die then, I thought maybe hours later. I went to the store which I was about go to anyways.
    I was only gone 30 minutes. When I came back, I saw him laying there with ha lot f blood around him which he threw up.
    I knew. I felt so guilty for leaving him. Friends said that he probably waited until I left, if I stayed there maybe he would have waited until night time when I was sleeping. I know dogs often leave to die alone. But it's so heartbreaking. I definitely gave him all the hugs and kisses up to his last moments with him.
    I was also thinking I'm glad I wasn't there to see that. He changed position so it could have been very traumatizing to see him convulsing, I know it's not about me, but I don't know how I could have helped him then.

I guess I just had to get this out, because deep down I feel guilty.

As far as what was wrong with him? He probably had some internal bleeding. My mom said he probably had some ulcers and it just started bleeding really badly. The blood he threw up wasn't like regular blood, it was so stinky, brownish and yellowish. Sorry, I know it's gross, but I'm trying to make sense of it.
    My dad had ulcers like this, bloody stools and bloated stomach.
    This is not something bloodwork or x-ray could have seen, not even an ultrasound. Although I'm wondering how could he have perfect bloodwork with conditions like this.

I was trying to force some pumpkin puree down his mouth 2 days ago and yesterday just a little chicken puree (it was liquid). Poor doggie, I was probably hurting him and maybe even sped up his dying. But at the same time if giving him food makes him die then he would be gone anyways, and maybe the sooner then better so he won't suffer.

My friend set up a gofundmeaccount and there were $120 donations. I will donate that to the Madera Animal Shelter, that amount of money will not help me but will definitely buy a few bags of dog food for them.

I am so sad, can't stop crying. My other 2 German shepherds are also very sad, they know what happened because they saw it.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:01 PM

So sorry :sob::sob::sob: Now he is running free at the Rainbow Bridge.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:11 PM

I'm so sorry. :( I know the feeling too.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2020 at 12:37 PM

I'm so so sorry, Linguist. I was dreading this update, but hoping that he would improve. Huge (virtual) hugs to you.

34. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:56 PM

I am so very sorry. This is horrible news. Simply awful! :(

35. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM

I'm so sorry for you. I'm hoping that you can feel some relief knowing your doggie is out of pain.

36. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 2:58 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss, Linguist. This pain, unfortunately, is the cost of loving a pet so completely -- but it is a price worth paying. You were there for him and did as much as you could humanly do. There is peace in knowing that.

37. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:15 PM

I know the loss. Sorry you have to go through this. No matter how you prepare, it still hurts when they go.

We lost our best yorkie in Dec. He was just days away from 15. He went down nearly the same way as your's. He tried to distance himself from us and go privately and quietly. Once he stopped drinking water, it was only a matter of time. Our vet works with in cooperation with a lady who memorializes your pet. She provided us with a hand-thrown pottery urn for the ashes and a baked ornament with your pets paw print. He now sits on a shelf in his home. He is the dog on the right.

Yesterday we took our youngest yorkie to the vet. He had been acting the same way for a couple days. He is 3 and still puppy hyper. So when he was laying around, not eating, throwing up, had to be carried outside, we knew it was bad. Vet took blood and enzyme tests. Thinks it something to do with his pancreas. He spent the night with the vet for meds and observation. We hope he comes back today. He is in the middle.
    [​IMG]

38. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:44 PM

Thank you. I'm so sorry about your doggie I hope she will fully recover soon.
    Honestly I despise vets now. They ask for so much money and still don't know what's going on most of the time.At least that has been my experience. When they proposed they would keep him for 24 hours and keep an eye on him and do an ultrasound, if I greed to to that and paid $3500, they would still not have known what was wrong with him and he would have still felt horrible the next few days. And he still would have died

39. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:50 PM

I agree with you. It's hard to find a vet that you can trust and who is knowledgeable enough to solve serious problems. When we moved to our new home a couple of years ago we were lucky to find a good country doctor who has done really well with our animals. Such a difference than our old home in the city where the vets we tried just didn't have their stuff.

40. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 31, 2020 at 5:58 PM

Another thing I was thinking while my dog owner friends were giving me true and tried things to try (they might not work but worth to try) was that some vets might not even have dogs on their own. They might have all the book knowledge of symptoms and lot of medical knowledge but that doesn't compare to someone who's had for example 4 dogs of the same breed as mine for 10 years.
    Of course often a vet is very important because they can prescribe medication, and can figure out small stuff, and also often they need things like x-rays or surgery that saves your pet, but they're not the only ones that can do anything.
    I was also told to look for an older vet, they have a lot of practical experience and have seen it all, while a young vet might be very inexperienced, even arrogant. At first I thought it was funny, but then I agreed with it.

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:16 PM

I’m sorry to hear about your sweet pup.