My dog passed away, anyone knows anything about Boston Terriers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Emma35, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2010

My very best friend, my dog, passed away very suddenly and very unexpectedly a few weeks ago. She was absolutely fine one moment and within about 40 minutes she couldn't walk. I rushed her to the emergency vet and she died in my arms on the way there. Needless to say I was devastated. But I can't be without a dog. I have been reading a lot about Boston Terriers. I like their size and think they are adorable. Does anyone have one? I found a local breeder and went there today. I was so disappointed! All the adult dogs, and there were many, were in kennels. They were barking a lot and jumping around. The poor little puppies, they are 9 weeks old and have never been outside their crate. I took one outside and put her on the grass and she was terrified. I don't think they ever had her out of the crate. I wonder if it was a puppy mill! Anyway, I was so disappointed in how the adult dogs were acting. I read they don't normally bark a lot, and these were really yappy! The lady told me they were hard to train and will run away quickly. Again, everything against what I had read. I read they were, yes active, but not hyper. I am thinking they were hyper because they were stuck in these cages and never been nurtured and loved and handled. I have read they are easy to train and were devoted to their owners. I read that they get along with people and dogs. These didn't seem like they would. So does anyone own a Boston Terrier? I would love to hear anything and everything about them.:thanks:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2010

I am so sorry for your loss.

I have no experience whatsoever with Boston Terriers, but what you've described saddens me greatly.

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 26, 2010

Oh my I am so sorry! That must have been absolutely horrible for you.

I don't have experience with Boston Terriers but I know that I found my breeder by going to a local pug dog show. I found them through the Pug Club of America and I knew that the breeder would be reputable. They might have the same thing for Bostons. Good luck

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 27, 2010

I am so sorry for your loss. Each time I have lost my beloved dog is so hard.
    Please consider adopting a dog from your local rescue. There are so many dogs, even puppies, that are abandoned and need a good home. We rescued our boxer years ago, and he gave us countless hours of love and laughter until he passed away. Three months later, we adopted two lab mix puppies who were abandoned on the side of the road. They are our joy. Please consider adoption, or at least the Boston Terrier rescue in your area.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

I am so sorry for your loss. Please do not get a puppy from that place. Yes it sucks to not "save" one of those dogs but if you buy one from her it is just supporting the puppy mill. I believe Ms. I has a boston terrier. And can give you a lot of info on them.

When searching for a breeder, you need to ask how often they breed their females, where are the puppies raised, where are the adults kept, have they started any training, given the puppy any socialization skills. Tell them what type of personality you are looking for, some dogs are going to be more jumpy, others nervous, and so on. The breeder should be able to tell by 10 to 12 weeks of age what the disposition of the puppy will more then likely be.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 27, 2010

I was going to say exactly the same thing. My Ruby came from a rescue organization and she's my baby. I would never buy from a breeder when there are so many needy dogs out there-most as knitter said just abandoned-not behavior issue or anything. Shelter pops are up 20% with the economy-families just can't afford to keep them anymore.

Isn't the Boston terrier what Ms. I has - look at her avatar and see if that's what it is (I get the terriers confused-I'm a big dog kind of gal:)). You might want to pm her if it is, I'm sure she'd help you.

So sorry about your loss. I know that's such a hard thing to deal with.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I think I will go to the shelter in my area tomorrow morning. That is a great idea. It is so quiet in my house right now and I can't stand it!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 27, 2010

I worked at a shelter many years ago. Even though my dog Mya isn't from a shelter (a box at the super market). She would have ended up at the shelter with her siblings. It was weird seeing them come in a few months later after we had bought Mya. She was the best 20 dollars I have ever spent!
    Quinn is a pure breed and she is awesome too. I can say adopt what you feel comfortable getting, don't feel forced into a shelter dog or a pure breed. Get a puppy/dog that you connect with.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm curious, was your vet able to figure out what happened so suddenly?

I can surely tell you about BTs (& some other breeds) as I know quite a bit. Usually my avatar has my BT's picture, but I changed it to something different for once. I have a 5 yr old BT that I got at 8 wks from a great breeder. He's my baby! I did several mos of research, going to dog shows, talking to breeders, handlers, etc., putting myself on waiting lists so when someone has a litter of pups, I'll hopefully be contacted. I had narrowed down what I wanted to BTs & French Bulldogs. I love the unique look of both. BTs tend to live longer & have less health problems, so I went w/ BTs. I love their body type, short hair, barely any tail that makes it neat & easy, their flat-face (called bracycephallic). I love everything about them. There are 3 different weight classes. Mine is on the smaller side at 14 pounds.

BTs are fabulous dogs. They're intelligent & have great personalities! They're small enough for apt living. They are active, but are good lap dogs too while you watch TV. They're strictly indoor dogs since they can't take extremely hot or cold temperatures. BTs aren't normally barkers. Mine hardly barks unless maybe playing w/ a certain toy.

I'm a member of a BT club. My breeder is one of the VPs who's dogs used to be in the dog show world & are champions. The thought of having my dog be in shows did enter my mind, but that takes a lot of time & money.

This place you went to sounds like a puppy mill for sure. People who run these have no regard for the significance & improvement of the breed. They just want the money. They also say never get them from pet stores & newspaper ads because the pups come from these mills, but even some so-called breeders don't use the best practices as it sounds in that particular case.

I also belong to a BT discussion board called www.woofboard.com/forum. I suggest you look through that site & read all the important info they have there. My username is LuvMyYoshi. Good luck in your quest & PM me if you have any questions at all. By the way, I did all the work in helping my aunt get her Bichon Frise & it was fun to do!

I can't resist posting some pics so here they are:

At 8 wks the day I brought him home:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More:
    [​IMG]

This photo I took won an online photo contest:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2010

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when we lose our best friend.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 27, 2010

Emma, I am so sorry you lost your best friend in such a tragic way.

13. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jun 27, 2010

I am so sorry about your loss. :hugs:

I have a Boston Terrier and we LOVE her. She does not bark, but she did learn to howl when she was about 12 weeks old and that is how she now communicates. She is active, but will curl up and sleep beside you when she crashes. We realized that if we walk her daily, it helps decrease some of her "active" nature. She loves to fetch and can jump like a little rabbit. She is full grown and is about 15 pounds. She does not shed very much. She LOVES to travel and is as cute as can be.
    One of the Boston Terrier websites that I view often is
    www.littlebeasts.com.
    They have a link on the left that list several Boston rescue facilities.
    Also check out the photo of the week...it is always darling.

Good Luck!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2010

Oh, I forgot to post this. Here's BT Club of America site to locate a BT:

http://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/

If you go under the tab titled About Bostons, then click on Breeder Referral on the list on the left, the person named Billy Bunch will refer you to people in your area.

Also, if you go under the tab titled The BTCA, then click on Members' Websites on the left, you can see some breeders' sites in various states. One may be close to you.

BTW, I got your PM.

15. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

[QUOTE I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm curious, was your vet able to figure out what happened so suddenly?

They said she had a tumor on her cervix. Two things could have happened, it released a blood clot and she had a stroke or it burst and filled her body with blood and fluid and killed her. The doctor said he was pretty sure it was cancer. It is like losing a best friend. She sat by me all the time and really kept me company.

Your pictures are so darn adorable. I have been to the woofboard. I'll have to find you there!

16. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

I'll check it out. Thanks. I think I'll also look for a rescue organization.

17. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jun 27, 2010

Oh dear...reading your post brought tears to my eyes....if I were to lose my darling BT...I have a Boston...I don't know what I would do. Her name is Junebug and she's a little over 2. I have always had beagles growing up and thought a BT would be a yippy yappy dog...but I love June with all my heart..she's my little girl...I refer to her as my daughter. I have seen many BT's since we got June and they are almost all the same..loveable, playful, and just adore their humans. :wub:
    Be sure you get one from a reputable breeder as they must be checked for knee problems that may run in the bloodline. We were lucky enough to have a family friend who has bred BT's for over 40 years...

Hope these come out

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=31814688&id=52101401

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=32030476&id=52101401

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=31326812&id=52101401

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=1240877&id=658256823

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=52938&id=658256823#!/photo.php?pid=1240762&id=658256823

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

upstatenytchr the pictures are so cute! I couldn't view the last two though. How much does your BT weigh? She looks like a really good size.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2010

My, my, my! Too bad it couldn't have been caught in time. :( I can't imagine losing my baby, much less so suddenly.

Thank you!

You're welcome!

20. upstatenytchr

upstatenytchr Rookie

Jun 28, 2010

Emma-

She looks bigger in the pics than she is...like any woman :) her weight ranges from 15-17 lbs. . She has a small frame.

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 28, 2010

My heart goes out to you for your loss. There is nothing like a doggie friend! My dog is aging quickly - almost 15 and lots of downhill changes in the last year. But she still has little bursts of energy, pirouettes (sp) about a foot in the air, runs inside and does 1/2 dozen twirls if she thinks she might get a treat. She is almost totally deaf and going blind. Poor dear. I know her time is coming soon.

Please keep us up to date on your quest. I am with you, when my sweet doggie passes, I will need to get another dog pretty quickly. I am almost convinced to get a BT just from this thread! I do have one weird question: my dog is part pug and has trouble with anal glands, which ends up costing about $200 a year to have them tended to by the vet. Do BTs have trouble with anal glands?? I want to avoid this in the future.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 28, 2010

I wouldn't say BTs are a breed that are known for anal gland trouble. Any dog could have this kind of trouble. I assume it may be hereditary (just like certain conditions w/i humans). My BT personally has NEVER once had any kind of issue w/ anal glands. I don't express them nor have a vet do anything w/ them at all.

23. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 28, 2010

I teared up a little reading about how your dog passed away, and I don't even have a dog. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

24. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 29, 2010

Mine is 1/2 pug and I guess those chubby bottomed doggies have anal gland problems sometimes. Most dogs clear the glands whenever they have a BM. Poor little chubby bottoms!

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

So sorry for your loss... I would say hit the local shelters. We had a shelter dog & loved the fact that we saved her!!!

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 29, 2010

What is the other 1/2 of your Pug??
    My dog is 3/4 Pug and 1/4 Boston Terrier but I still refer to him as a Pug. I think Boston Terriers are adorable and if I could have a 2nd dog I would get one. When I was looking for a dog I just went to Barnes and Noble and browsed through the books about dog breeds. Take a look at the descriptions of their different temperments, abilities, and even problems they might have. Good luck in your doggy search. I'm so sorry for your loss but I know you will give another dog a good home.

27. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

After about three weeks of thinking about Boston Terriers, talking to my vet, a dog trainer, a few breeders, a trip to the animal shelter, a recommendation from a friend, lots of reading about BT's and help from you guys especially Ms. I, I decided to go ahead and get one. There is one breeder I have talked to several times and went and saw her pups (not the one from the puppy mill!!!). Well, I picked out my new best friend. She comes home tonight. I guess the sleepless nights will begin! She will be coming home with a little blanket that she has been sleeping with so hopefully she will still smell her litter mates and not give me to hard of a time. Though I miss my last dog terribly and I know this new one will never replace her, I know she will help fill that hole in my heart.

28. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2010

CONGRATS on your new edition!!!
    At least you can get her trained before you head back to school or a good portion of it!!!

29. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

That's the plan!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2010

Again, that's great! I'm glad I could help! :) Are you referring to sleepless nights due to your excitement OR that there will be whining in the night?

I have to hand it to my breeder, she must have gotten my dog used to being w/o his mother before I got him because mine has never really yipped, whined, etc. at all in the middle of the night.
    I had told you that mine sleeps in a comfy crate in my rm. If my dog happens to wake up before me, he waits quietly until I tend to him...no barking at all. He's such a little love! :wub:

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2010

Emma,
    The best advice I ever got was don't go to them when they are crying in their crate at night. Pick up the water food about three hrs before bedtime. Take them out before bed and get up about three hours after going to bed to take out for a potty break. It worked with Quinn.
    Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures!

32. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2010

The whining at night! Thanks for the tips everyone.

33. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 30, 2010

I'm sorry for your loss, and congrats on your new pup. Any pictures? :)

34. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

We want pictures!

My 2 dogs (currently crashed on the sofa) are considered my four legged children. I totally get your sadness and wish you lots of love with your new puppy!

Any name in mind?

Mine are named Abbicus Finch (Abby) and Boo Radley (Boo) after To Kill a Mockingbird. (Abbicus is actually Atticus).

35. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 30, 2010

Oh good news! Yes, definitely post pics! And let us know her name.

I did the same thing last year (well, I wasn't ready for a new dog quite so soon). My dalmatian Gypsy had to be put to sleep in April, I had her for over 12 years-biggest loss I've ever suffered. In June, I got Ruby (because I had time to train her over the summer). I forgot how hard puppy is! She would get into everything-like having a toddler. But she's really been making progress though and she is my baby-makes me laugh every day.

Anyway, long story short-enjoy her.I agree with Jamie whatever you do don't take her out to sleep with you if she cries-it will only make her do it more and take longer to adjust.

36. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Here she is. She is a little clown, makes me laugh all day!!! She is pretty good at night. Only cried once so I took her out, she did her business and went back to sleep. She knows her name (most of the time), Izzy, comes when I call her and went to the door twice to go outside today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 1, 2010

Too cute! That is one precious doggy you have there! Congrats!

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2010

Awww, how adorable! Did you join that BT discussion board?

39. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2010

Yes but I haven't posted anything yet. I don't seem to have as much free time now...I wonder why?

40. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 1, 2010

OH she is adorable!