My dog is very sick...need advice please

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by jenn888, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Nov 4, 2012

My Pomeranian who will be 17 years old in February has become very ill over the weekend. I took her to vet today, and he discovered a tumor in the roof of her mouth. He cannot operate b/c of her age. She has not eaten since Friday and is now unable to drink. She as well as myself have not slept in over 24 hours. The doctor gave her two injections to try and ease her and help her sleep, but they are not working. He wanted me to think on putting her to sleep for a few days. She sounds so pitiful. She sounds like she is drowning when she breathes. I feel like I need to go ahead and make the decision to put her to sleep tomorrow. This is breaking my heart because being single with not many friends she is my best friend. I know she is not going to get better. I am going to miss her so much. I know only I can make the decision, but any advice would be great. I don't want her to die at home suffering.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2012

I really can't talk about this...but big hugs. :(

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2012

Take her in. It's hard but it sounds like it is the best choice.

My thoughts are with you. It's hard to say goodbye to our furbabies.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

Give that furry baby lots of hugs tonight. Thank her for her friendship. Tell her that you love her. Cry. Snuggle. Make her feel warm and comfortable. Then take her in tomorrow. Hugs.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 4, 2012

I think you know the answer. It is such a hard decision, but she is in pain and there is no way to recover :( Many hugs to you both.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2012

This is always a difficult time. Do your favorite things with her now, say good-bye, then let her go (to be put to sleep). I know how you feel about your dog being your best friend. So is mine.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

Many :hugs: to you. It is so hard when our fur babies get sick, but I agree the best thing to do is to have her put down so she doesn't suffer anymore.

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 4, 2012

This made me tear up just reading it. I am so sorry you have to make that decision. Hugs :hugs:

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2012

When we put our dog to sleep, the vet let us stay in the room with her as they gave her a shot and let her gently fall asleep in our arms. We could then know for sure that she didn't suffer.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2012

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2012

We have to be advocates for our pets. She'll tell you when she knows it's time. Give her lots of pats.

Best wishes. It's always hard to lose a member of your furry family.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 4, 2012

This is such a hard thing to go through, but you don't want her to suffer. Many hugs for both of you.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 4, 2012

Only you will know when the time is right. It's such a hard decision to make, but the most loving thing a pet owner can ever do. Snuggle her close tonight. Let her know how much you love her. When the morning comes, go with your gut and your heart. Many thoughts, hugs, and prayers for you both.

15. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Nov 4, 2012

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts, and advice.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2012

Oh, Jenn, I'm so sorry. I remember that sound of "drowning" with our first Shelty. It's awful listening to it. I'm sure it's even worse to be the dog.

As hard as it is, you know what you need to do.

17. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Nov 4, 2012

You've had 17 excellent years together. Those memories can never be taken away. But that is a very long life for a dog. There's never a good time to say goodbye, but it sounds like this is the time. [​IMG]

18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 5, 2012

Don't take her in unless YOU feel it's time. MY own dog had what I thought was a stroke, two weeks ago... eyes covered in mucous eyes flickering back and forth, could not stand on her own, no balance, head tilted, wouldn't eat, sudden onset of symptoms... I was scared.

I immediately took her to emergency, fearing the worst. Two weeks later, she is recovering and I still hope for a complete recovery. It's still dicey, but the diagnosis is something called vestibular disease, and she is recovering slowly.

I relate this story, because during the last two weeks, I researched a lot. One recurring SAD theme of people was telling how they were advised to put their dog down, because they were told (by their vet) that it was a stroke and it wouldn't get any better. They said that the symptoms (of vestibular disease) sound exactly like what they're dog had, before they put him/her down. In other words, they put the dog down when perhaps it wasn't necessary.

My point is, exhaust alternatives. It's a decision (putting your own dog to sleep) that we (the humans) have to live with forever. Those comments from the people who think they falsely put their dog to sleep ("I think I killed my own dog") are terrible. Your dog suffering through a couple more days or a week, while you consider alternatives, isn't the worst thing in the world. It might give you the further perspective in the end (You may find the clarity that she does need to be put down. In that case, it may give you comfort in making your decision.)

19. jenn888

jenn888 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

I just wanted to update everyone. My baby went to heaven this morning around 10:20. I made the decision to have her put to sleep, after she had another night of no sleep. The tumor in her mouth cut off her air when she put her head down, so she was unable to rest. She has her own doggie door, and when I woke up around 4:30 this morning she was just laying outside in the cold on the damp grass. She couldn't put her head down, so she was in misery. Her breathing was worse, and she whimpered when I touched her. While I was holding her at the vets office she looked up at me at just stared into my eyes, as if she was saying "it will be okay mommy, I'm ready". That moment ripped my heart out. The doctor was very kind and let me be with her when he gave her the injection. My mom went out last night and got her a pretty box with roses on it to be buried in. I put with her in the box a favorite blanket, her favorite stuffed animal, and one my my t-shirts (she loved to snuggle in my clothing if left it on the floor). My parents and I buried her in their backyard in a spot she liked to sun in when we lived at home. Tomorrow morning will be the worst because she always woke up with my alarm, and greeted me at my bed.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

:hugs:, jenn.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

Now I'm crying. Like a complete idiot. So sorry. :(

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2012

I'm so sorry. Huge hugs.

23. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Nov 5, 2012

:( I know from experience that it hurts so much to lose a beloved pet. I'm so sorry and will keep you in my thoughts. *hugs*

24. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 5, 2012

This broke my heart, and made me cry as well. I am so, so sorry. *hugs*

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2012

I'm so sorry.

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Nov 5, 2012

I'm so sorry. I'm crying for you and your sweet baby.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2012

I'm so sorry. I hope you can feel at least a little comfort knowing you did the best thing for her. She told you it was time to go, and you let her. Best wishes in these hard times.

28. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Nov 5, 2012

Very sorry to hear that...

I'm going to go hug/kiss my dog now. RIP

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 5, 2012

I am so sorry.

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

You aren't the only one! :hugs: jenn

31. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Nov 5, 2012

How could it not? :(
    You have tons of happy memories (and pics, I'm guessing) to lift your spirits. Remember the good times.

32. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 5, 2012

I am so sorry.

33. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 5, 2012

Me too JustMe.

I'm so sorry Jenn.

I'm glad she had a long, wonderful life with you.

34. msaly

msaly Comrade

Nov 8, 2012

I am so sorry :( We had to put our dog down a few months ago.. she was only 5, but very sick so I know how you are feeling. My thoughts are with you