My dog has pancreatitis ... any words of wisdom?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Special-t, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

The outlook is not good for my Gypsy. She's 13 1/2 and has been diagnosed with severe pancreatitis and possibly other affected organs (liver and gallbladder). We are most likely going to have to say goodbye to her soon. The vet said that her outcome is not hopeful. We are fortunate to have an "at-home" vet who does her exams at home and, in the end, will euthanize her here.

We're administering sub-Q fluids and she's on pain meds. She seems pretty comfortable, but I don't want her to suffer when the disease worsens. Her mouth is dry so she can't eat much and she can still get around to pee and poop, but she's very clumsy and weak.

So, my husband and I will be talking to the vet to get his thoughts on euthanizing her now - even though we're still able to keep her comfortable. This is such a grim subject, but I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

I'm so sorry.

WE lost our dog 2 weeks ago; my husband came home to find her already gone.

Talk to the vet. Again, my sincere sympathies.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

:hugs: Special-t. The only words I can offer are to make sure that your eyes are really clear when looking at her condition. Is she really comfortable? The reason I say this is because several years ago, my first dog got hip dysplacia (sp?). My dad and I did not want to put him down so we came up with every excuse not too. His mind was still sharp, but he was struggling to get around. We said that he was happy just laying where he was, and that we could move him on occasion. I took off my rose-colored glasses first, and since it was my dog I got to make the decision. At the time my gpa put him down, my dad still had his blinders on.

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

Boiled chicken/ground beef and rice for a while... or Rx foods like EN or ID...

Its a rough subject. My parents had to put down my childhood dog a couple years ago... and I cryed for days (teary now). Even if you can keep her comfortable, what is her quality of life like. Comfortable isn't always happy.

Personally I would see how the pancreatisis goes, if she seems happier then, but if things in general worsen then I would consider it... Think of how bad it could get and how terrible she would feel if she had to suffer, look at the prognosis before deciding.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

Thank you all. Our vet advised we get an ultrasound at the local veteranary hospital. It's $300, which really stretches our finances, but with those results we'll know exactly what's wrong. If it's just pancreatitis, then we will continue treatment. If any tumors show, etc ... then we'll feel more at peace with euthanasia.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2009

Special-t, is that Gypsy in your avatar?

I hope that it is just the pancreatitis.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

We had to put down my son's dog a few years ago. It was his childhood pet and it was upsetting. By then my son had grown and moved out on his own, but his dog lived with us. The very next day I went with a friend to the local shelter and as we looked around for a cat for her this little white paw reached out of a cage and grabbed my leg. It was the cutest little terrier dog and he seemed like he wanted to be petted so we took him out of the cage and walked him a little. By the time we got back to the cage there were several people waiting in line to see this dog. Needless to say, we felt that this little dog was sent to us by the dog we had to put down. Found out that the little dog had been placed in the cage about 10 minutes before we got there. So, I guess it was meant to be. A few months later my son passed away and when the obituary came out in the paper it happened to be on the same page as the shelter advertisement. That day they posted a dog and a cat...the picture of the dog looked exactly like my son's dog and it also had the same name. Don't know how you all feel about it, but I feel that my son has been reunited with his beloved pet. So, hope for the best for your dog, but believe that there is something better for him when his time with you is up.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

beckysuek ... thank you for posting such a moving personal experience.

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 20, 2009

Yes, that's my little girl :wub: We'll know a lot more tomorrow.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 20, 2009

:thanks:

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 20, 2009

I am so sorry Special-T. I know this is so hard. Maybe spending the money is a good thing ...a thing that can give you a little peace.

I have always admired your avatar. It looks like a movie poster.

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 20, 2009

I agree with the boiled rice and chicken. 2 years ago our dog had 75% of heart blocked and I believe that kept her alive a few more months. She died in her sleep after a great day!! I have had to put 2 dogs down about 12 years ago and I am crying while typing this. It is very hard!! But you don't want them to suffer.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 20, 2009

Oh my, I'm really sorry to hear this. I know how important pets are in our lives. They're our babies!

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

:hugs: special-T. I don't know much about dogs, but I do know how attatched we get to our furry family memebers.

16. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

special-T--We lost our dog last July after having her almost 15 years. We were initially told that it was either pancreatitis or cancer of the pancreas. Unfortunately, it was cancer and she died here at home a little less than 48 hours later. We were devestated, but we knew there was nothing we could do. We knew by the evening of day one that there wasn't anything we could do medically, so we concentrated on keeping her comfortable.

You are doing everything you can, and hopefully, she will pull through. If you decide that she is in too much pain, it sounds like you have an immense amount of love for her in the fact that you do not want her to suffer. They are not pets, they are members of the family. I will be thinking of you today. I know how hard it is. We still talk about our dog all the time!

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

Were you able to tell it was cancer from ultrasound results?

Last night she had a 10 minute episode where I could tell she was in severe pain (even though she's on pain meds), but by the time we had our shoes and coats on to take her to the doggy ER to be euthanized, she had recovered enough to be resting quietly. Then, we just didn't want to cause her more trauma by moving her.

I've been sleeping with her in the livingroom - it's where she sleeps most comfortably - so I know she was okay through the night - and I was able to give her regular pain pill at 2am.

I'm feeling very inclined toward euthanasia. We'll know more today at 10 after the ultrasound. Because she keeps stabilizing, our at-home vet won't do the euthanasia without knowing the test results.

18. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

Our dog is currently in kidney failure, we're also administering sub-q fluids and are in a holding pattern until it time for her to go as well. She's 16 years old.

She's not eating much, and I've found that we have to try to feed her anything we can find to at least make her eat. We tried ground beef and rice together, ground turkey and rice together, and since she likes spicy foods, we added some Indian sauces to it and she ate it, for a while.

It seems that now she's only eating straight proteins....chicken breasts, fish, cheese, turkey, steak, etc. But, we keep trying.

I have a feeling we'll be calling the vet sometime next week. She's extremely weak now.

Hang in there and have fun with her. They're such a huge part of our families and we love them almost like we love our children. I'll be thinking of you.

19. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

So sorry you're going through this, too. The waiting is so difficult.

Gypsy's mouth is so dry that she can only eat very brothy food. And with her illness, she's not supposed to eat much.

I think I fed her too much last night, which is why she was in such pain. I had discovered that if I puree the ground turkey with rice I can then mix it with broth into a doggy slushy. She loved it, but now I'm afraid to feed her.

But you may want to try making a puree or doggy slushy for your little one.

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

Toward the end, our dog's stomach became very hard and she couldn't even keep water down. Her stomach was tender to the touch. We couldn't get back to the vet because after being home from the vet for a few hours she could no longer walk, but we knew there wasn't any hope anyway. Your doggy actually sounds better than ours did. I hope your test results are more promising.

I truly feel for you and I hope that your doggy turns the corner soon.

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2009

We said goodbye to Gypsy this morning. We decided to skip the ultrasound. She seemed to be in pain so we brought her to the hospital for euthanasia. She feel asleep very peacefully. It was a relief to see her suffering end, but we miss her so terribly much.

22. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Mar 21, 2009

Oh--I am so sorry--but releasing her of her pain was the right thing to do.

It is amazing how animals touch our lives! You will have memories of her forever! We talk about our dog everyday--she is still a member of our family!

I will keep you in my thoughts! :hugs:

23. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

:hugs: Special-T

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 21, 2009

Oh, how sad. I'm sorry. You helped her when she needed you most. Now she is relieved of all pain.

I'm minding my daughter's dog while she is away and I had to take her to the 24-hour care hospital this morning. They're checking for pancreatitis. She's young, though.

25. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry.

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2009

I'm sorry, Special-t.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2009

I'm so sorry.