my dilemma is when to quiz.. when to test?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by traeh, Sep 30, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Sep 30, 2007

Okay, so without any order to the curriculum, I am sort of winging it in a sense. Therefore, it's hard to determine when to quiz and when to test and on what?? Anyone not using a book that has developed a strategy as to when to test/quiz and how much material to include? Feeling: very overwhelmed

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 30, 2007

I do not use one single textbook, but mutliple ones (as well as a variety of self made readings, activities, worksheets, etc). What I do is I test at the end of each unit, bascially I divide the material into two to three week time frames and test every three weeks. I combine all related material into these three weeks and give a atest covering it all at the conclusion of them I quiz at the end of each week, making a quiz that covers all the material taught in that week.

4. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 30, 2007

I use multiple books as well. They have cumulative tests every 2 weeks with one super small (5 questions) quiz on the weeks with no tests. My assessment schedule is independent of the curriculum.

db

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2007

I quiz several times per week... each time I teach a new concept if possible. (We've been in class for 3 weeks; my classes have between 3 and 6 quizzes and their second test is this week.)

I test every 2 weeks, no matter what.

I firmly believe in lots of quizzes and lots of test. That way the occasional off day has less of an effect.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 30, 2007

I normally quiz on a single topic so they take 1-2 quizzes per week. I test on a chapter which is several similar topics together. This ends up being every 2-3 weeks depending on the complexity of the material. There are usually 4-5 quizzes that are re-tested together on a single test. I do not have a textbook for physics but do for chemistry but very loosely follow it.