My Department Chair is a Nazi!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GOPteacher, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOPteacher

GOPteacher Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

I think she knows when I sleep and when I breathe. She is the hall monitor, and yells at me and my students whenever she "feels like it".

I know she is my boss, kind of, but I can't take it!!!
    Anyone feel my pain?:mad:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

She's a member of the SS?

4. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2010

A dept. chair should be a co-worker, not an authoritative ogre. Even admin should be more professional in how they address co-workers and students. Smother her with kindness, and keep treating your students fairly, right in front of her for her to see.
    The higher ups will figure it out.

5. GOPteacher

GOPteacher Rookie

Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, she likes to "police" the kids and wants the other members to follow suit. She chases them down the halls, calls them "rude" yells at me when I have a sub and that sub does something she finds "wrong".
    I think she is a member of the SS...

6. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Reminds me of one of this principal's I sub for. Someone accidentally called the wrong bus (a mistake corrected in seconds) and the principal spent 15 minutes running through the building, loudly exclaiming, that she didn't make the mistake it was Mr.X who did.

7. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 23, 2010

Send Hugo Stiglitz after her.

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2010

I feel your pain; it's so annoying when a coworker thinks they are over you/in charge. Who do they think they are? Besides the boss? :D

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

In my school, there's no "kind of" to the matter at all. My department chair IS my boss, just as I was his until I quit in 2000.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 23, 2010

I'm sorry to hear this... I hope you are protecting all the Jewish people in his school from this department chair.

11. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 23, 2010

I've been a department chair for four years now. Trust me, it's not easy to be the supervisor of your coworkers of over 20 years. It is your department chair's job to make sure you follow department and school policy. It's well within my job to make sure teachers follow the policies we outlined. It's also my job to observe them and deal with any problems that may arise with parents, special ed. teachers, and the administration. It is NOT my job to run around the school making sure they follow every policy, but I will make sure each and every one of my teachers give a final which they created (not from the textbook) which includes some type of writing.

12. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2010

I was asked this morning why I have not applied for the deputy head of dept (same as your Chair). I replied that I prefer to be Robin Hood rather than the sheriff of Nottingham!

13. mrduck12

mrduck12 Companion

Mar 23, 2010

That is an awesome answer. :lol:

I am ready to have it out with our department chair just because of the idiotic times she is continually scheduling meetings...even times when we could just as easily take care of items by email.

The lady in the OP would not be liking me as I tell her to back off and be professional in front of the students, which I have done in the past with teachers that don't take the asides and hints.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 23, 2010

I tried to resign as department chair becasue I was tired of having to be the b*tch all the time. They wouldn't let me resign. Apparently b*tch was the qualification they wanted.

Basically I just run the meetings, and I remind (or hound) people to get certain requirements done. I have enough day-to-day work of my own to do to have time to police everybody else.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2010

Yeah, I hate the whole "Nazi" phrasing.

Some things are simply too horrible, too despicable, to ever become a cutesy phrase for something annoying.

I didn't like it when Seinfeld introduced the "Soup Nazi" and I still hate it. I'm all over the kids anytime they attempt it in my hearing. It's like when they refer to someone or something as "retarded"-- another huge no-no in my book.

16. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Mar 23, 2010

If only a to z had a "like" button like facebook does....

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2010

Please be careful with the Nazi word...it's another 'N' word that carries a lot of emotion with it.

Your colleague may have control issues, but if this person is your supervisor, you should 'toe' the line, regardless of how you feel about her leadership. Sometimes you just have to bear the pressure of these situations.

18. GOPteacher

GOPteacher Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

So sorry to offend with the Nazi word--

I think I should have said person who is on my every five minutes for the most ridiculous stuff that nobody else cares about.

It is her "policing" manner of students and fellow teachers that I gave her this label. I do believe she is racist against my students (Hispanic ELL), but that is a topic for another thread.

Mainly, she is a pain in my rear and I wanted to vent, not offend.

My apologies.

19. GOPteacher

GOPteacher Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

One other thing,
    It is not that I have the problem with authority. I have worked with fabulous department chairs in the past. This one is simply crazy. I know the job is difficult, but there is a difference between emailing someone at 4:00am when they have been at the district office at a training and letting them know that one of their students yelled at another teacher in the hallway:
    Number 1: I was not there at the time
    Number 2: I am not these students' mom.
    Number 3: If a kid did something offensive, cite him/her, send them to the office, and be done with it. Don't blame me when I was not even present.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with the stuff this monster has done.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Mar 24, 2010

Its her job-- I'm sure she just wants to cover her butt (and believe it or not... she probably wants to make sure your butt is covered too) when it comes to school policies and making sure the students are taught as they should be. I have a tough supervisor and while she still tends to make me nervous (because of past experiences) I also realize how much she's taught me in 2 years. She has a reputation of being mean, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with that reputation of her. It's the same with any bad stories we might hear about new students--- you shouldn't always believe what you're told.

If she's complaining about something, get it in writing and make sure you make those changes. Period. If you really feel she's being mean and not there to help, then speak to your principal.

I also think the nazi term is very harsh and I really don't think any supervisor (unless they are doing something illegal, like harassment) needs that term applied to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.