My deep dark secret...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Danny'sNanny, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

I hate August. Every year I feel like I've had amnesia - if I remembered how much I hate August, I wouldn't go back.

I LOVE my job. I love the kids. I really do. Once we hit September, and are in a groove, and I know the kids and how to reach them and what makes them tick... Once we are deep into reading groups and math centers... Then I'm happy and confident.

But in August, I can't sleep. My mind races. I wonder how I'm going to challenge A, or catch B up, or how to get C to stop crying, or how to get D to behave in Music. Almost every year I have someone who LOSES it during fire drills, so my stomach is in knots waiting for the first one. My eye has been twitching almost nonstop for over 2 weeks.

I know this is going to be a great group. I have a lot of SPED challenges, but not quite as many as last year. My kids seem like a sweet, caring bunch. :wub: But I just can't wait for September!!

Just needed to get that off my chest :dizzy:

3. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 15, 2013

I believe I have amnesia too! I forgot for a moment that August is like that! Well put a cool compress on your eye to calm your twitching eye or gently massage. If that fails muscle relaxers always do the trick.

I think for the moment I am too excited to think about all of that. After the first week or so I will begin to think about the rest of those challenges.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 15, 2013

I'm telling myself if I can survive August, everything will be ok. This move coupled with two weeks to set up the classroom and an Aug. 7th start date has done me in. You are not alone!

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 15, 2013

WOW Jem, I don't know how you did it, but congrats because half the battle is over.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 15, 2013

I'm the exact opposite...the first week or so it feels easier to me because the kids are still on their best behavior and feeling me out, so i don't have to deal with nearly as much behavior management. I always find myself tired at the end of the day but thinking ''wow teaching isn't that hard.'' Then the honeymoon ends and things start getting real.

This year 3/4 of my class are boys, so i'm a little worried.

7. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 15, 2013

You are not alone! I think as teachers get used to the seasoned students who know where materials are, can problem solve without help, know where to turn in work, etc. We quickly forget in August we have to start that process all over again with a new group!

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 15, 2013

Oh the first week of kindergarten is the stuff of teaching nightmares - crying, running out of the room, accidents on the rug and the nerves of hoping they all go home the right way!

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 15, 2013

A few days ago I likened the beginning of the year to being in labor. If we didn't forget how difficult it is, we might not come back for another round :lol: I feel your stress! My first workday is tomorrow and I'm starting to brace myself for all the challenges!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

I feel ya, DN!! Even though I'm in a new job where I don't interact with the students on a daily basis, I still have nightmares and August is a busy month for us with getting things together and beginning of the year meetings.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2013

I'm always glad when the first few weeks are over.

Summer has come and passed.
    The innocent can never last.
    Wake me up,
    When September ends.

Ring out the bells again.
    Like we did when spring began.
    Wake me up,
    When September ends.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2013

I don't mind the beginning so much. As previous posters has stated, the kids are still on their best behavior- no major meltdowns yet, they're happy to see each other so they're getting along. Everything is fresh and new and clean. There isn't as much pressure with deadlines to finish up writing pieces, assessments, etc.

I feel like October, my 2nd month is usually the hardest. It's LONG. There's one day off. (Although last year we had Hurricane Sandy so that really mixed things up) The kids start to show their true colors. I'm inclusion and I always have at least 1 or 2 who have severe meltdowns. October is when the meltdowns start and usually you spend at least a month figuring out a fool proof way to handle them since each student and each meltdown is so different and you don't know their triggers yet. The deadlines start to come rolling in and since the kids are still so "new" to the grade everything takes longer than it would in say March. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to October.

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 18, 2013

:yeahthat: I agree, by October, I'm like, "Is it Thanksgiving yet?" because I've normally caught 1 - 2 colds by then and had to begun dealing with the aforementioned issues.

May is also really hard because after Spring Break (beginning of April) we have almost 2 straight months of school before our next holiday.

I used to hoard my sick leave...now I take use them as mental health days every other month or so.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

So true! My DH says I'm awful to live with for the first 6 weeks of the school year! (he actually has another word for it). :whistle:

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

I use to do that too, even though we can't roll days over. I'm always afraid that I'll run out of days, we only get 7 or 8.

Even when I was sick in June I only took 1 day off, I should have taken at least 2 days off. I had the days.

This year, I'm going to take a mental health day when I need it or call in sick if I'm not feeling well.

16. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

Kpa, it sounds like my husband. He doesn't understand that it is just like this for a while. He wants to head out for the weekends but once I'm back in school, I like to stay home once I get here.

17. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 18, 2013

My first week ended with 3 kids hitting, half the class refusing to listen to directions, and my toilet blew a valve and the resulting geyser flooded my classroom. I figure it can only get better from here.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 18, 2013

Same here. Friday was day 7 with the kids. I came home with a cold already. Lack of sleep and too much work caught up with me. I keep telling myself that things will get better once we settle into our routine, which better be by the end of August. I'm known for never making any advanced plans for traveling out of town or doing anything major on the weekends during the month of August. I think it bugs some of my friends and family. But, I just can't predict how much work I'll have to do over the weekends (or how much rest I'll need) those first few weeks. I'd rather under-commit than over-commit myself and then wind up canceling on people. I've definitely made that mistake before. :blush:

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

Anyone who works at a school (everyone from custodial staff to instructional aides) will tell you that August/September are pretty insane! Things settle down once October rolls around.