My daughter is my co-teacher...scared!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Matt633, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

So I have been a teacher for 23 years. This year my daughter will be my co-teacher This is her 4th year teaching. We are very close.

We are teaching 5th grade. I was a little hesitant but in the last two weeks especially last week which was teacher work week, everything seemed effortless. I couldn't ask for a better week. But, now I am getting the nervous jitters! What if she is disappointed in me, sometimes I think she has me on a higher pedestal (teacher wise at least) than I really am.

Anyway I guess I just wanted to vent my feelings! Oh! the pressure!

3. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I know a teacher who worked with her mom and she absolutely loved it. I wouldn't worry about her being disappointed in you. If anything, I think it'll bring you guys closer.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 15, 2009

Wow! More power to you both.

5. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 15, 2009

Thats interesting. In my district family members can't work together.

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 15, 2009

My mother was my principal the first year I taught, and it was fabulous. She was an amazing mentor and I loved every minute. You and your daughter are so very lucky. I'd give anything to go back to that arrangement!

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2009

I think it's an interesting situation to be in and it could be good or bad depending on how you two handle it. My school district wouldn't hire family members for the same school. Is this a small district you're in?

8. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

We work in a private school. But one that requires degrees and certification. It is a good match, as her specialty is Language Arts, I am elementary cert. and my strengths are Math, Social Studies and dealing with parents!

I am sure I will have these momentary anxiety attacks from time to time but we communicate well....and I am sure we will learn from each other.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2009

Just think of how frightened she probably is, afraid to disappoint you.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 15, 2009

I think you will do a fabulous job together. Don't be frightened at all... she looks up to you, obviously!

This year is the first my mom will be a regular volunteer at my school. She has decided recently that she isn't going to look for a job any longer and retire, yet she'll still be coming in once a week (or at least every two weeks) for me for an entire day. She was a para. for twelve years, so I know she is brilliant.

11. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 15, 2009

We have a few family members at our school. None are parent and child though. Things seem to work out just fine for them.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

Wow! How exciting!
    Good luck to your TEAM. I know you both will love the challenge and you'll both do GREAT. It's a blessing in disguise.
    Rebel1

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2009

I would love to teach with a family member. My mom is a teacher and I think it would be great to work together. Good luck with everything!

14. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

Enjoy it! My first year full-time I was hired in one of the schools where my mom taught PE. I loved having her in the building! Unconditional support! It also happened to be her last year, as she decided to retire at the end of the year. I'm so glad we were both blessed with that one year!

15. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 16, 2009

Thanks everyone! This will definitely keep us both on our toes wanting to do the best for each other and our students. All in all I have faith that it will be wonderful!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2009

Well, hopefully you have a good mother-daughter relationship, so everything should be fabulous. How often does this situation happen to people?...not often at all, so enjoy it while it lasts!

My mom & I are close, but I don't know if I'd want to work w/ her. It would kinda make me feel like I'm a child again & not my own adult person.