My Daughter is a "Buffer" Child

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by eydie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. eydie

eydie Companion

Dec 27, 2007

It happens every year to my daughter. She is a very good student and has wonderful classroom maners, so she is placed between the loud and the naughty children. She has often complained to me and I have told her that she has to learn to tune them out and continue to do her best. Well, she is now in 6th grade and she is between horrible students in ALL of her classes. She has some health issues that have been addressed and she is a 504 student due to her condition. On her IEP it is one of the accomadations for her to have perferential seating. Her grades this semester are all A's and a B but that one B is upsetting her (it's her first) She says it is because of the distraction that she can not concentrate. Should I ask the teacher to move her? I don't like it when parents ask me to do this. But, it is in her IEP for her to be put where she can do her best. :confused:

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 27, 2007

personally, I feel that you are a parent first. You need to look out for the well-being of your daughter, and you want her to meet her full potential, whether it be a C or in your daughter's case an A. I would suggest you discuss the possibility of moving your daughter with the teacher.

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 27, 2007

I agree with dfleming. Put your daughter first. Just take into consideration that if these silly kids don't have a buffer between them, they could be an even bigger distraction to the entire classroom. :unsure:

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2007

It's in her IEP. Your request is entirely reasonable. Ask on the first day back after break.

6. eydie

eydie Companion

Dec 27, 2007

I don't want her to use the excuse of the other's behavior as her reason for not maintaining her A. however, I get upset thinking that she cannot enjoy her classes because of these characters. I use "buffer" children myself, and now I'm really realizing that these are the children who should be given choice position in the classroom since they are the ones who want to be there and want to perform well. It's NOT fair to them!
    But I also agree that if you put the "silly" children together that's asking for even more trouble.
    Thanks for your responses... I think I will talk to her teacher and see what we need to study on more at home since she is missing out during classtime due to these clowns!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 27, 2007

I agree, there is no reason to let your daughter suffer unnecessarily . I always feel bad for the students who finish first and are always asked to help other students. This is a similar situation where your daughter is being used as a place holder to keep certain students apart.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 27, 2007

This is one of the reasons I change seats once a month and I keep old seating charts. That way, if a student comes to me and says that they have been sitting next to Billy the Bother all year long, I can look back at the seating charts and either show them that no they haven't, or apologize and seat them next to other people in the future.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 27, 2007

I do not think the request is unreasonable, but I agree that you should also find out what you can work on at home to help out as well. That way you are showing you want to work with the teacher. Has your daughter discussed her seat with her teacher? I teach 4th grade and my students know that I will not change their seat if they do not discuss it with me--I then have them tell me where would be a better place for them and why.

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 28, 2007

Maybe if enough teachers, students, and PARENTS complain about the behavior of some of these kids, the administration will actually do something about it. NO child should have to be a buffer. EVER. That is one of the most unfair tactics I've ever heard of. Our sweet, well-behaved students are constantly being tortured instead of rewarded! I hate that!

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 28, 2007

I realize I do this quite often, so since I change table groups every 3 weeks, before the break, I put a couple of the "buffer" kids with their friends who are also "buffers." Surprisingly, I didn't really notice much difference. Things still seemed fine. I did it because one of my "good" kids said "how come I never get to sit with R?" I realized they were catching on, and I had to switch it up. Teachers shouldn't be afraid to put to kids who may goof off together. It's not really fair to the kids to rely on them to keep the other kids calm. The teacher really needs to use his or her management skills to keep those kids working or in line (easier said than done, I know, but we should all try!)

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Dec 28, 2007

I would ask for my child, even though she does not have an IEP.

13. eydie

eydie Companion

Dec 28, 2007

My daughter has never asked her teachers to move her or the reason why she must sit in the place assigned. I guess that is my fault since I have raised her to not question (verbally) the adult in charge. Especially parents, teachers and priest. I just feel that is the respectful way a child should act.

I mix up the seating arrangement in my room quite often also. My kids sit at tables of four and I do put two quiet with two talkers. I move groups every three weeks. I have had parents tell me not to put little Johnny by little Billy for various reasons and I have explained to them that in the real world they are going to have to deal with all kinds of people and that unless they are hurting each other physically or bullying them verbally that there is no reason to move them apart before the three week period ends. But these are second graders who are on the floor, at centers etc.. and do little time at their tables that is not under direct instruction or art time.
    Sixth grade is a little different. My daughter is having to sit by clowns.. at a desk .. all day. Her grades are being affected.

I really am rethinking my own seating arrangement ...
    I know I will talk with her teacher after the break.