My dad's Easter rant

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by DrivingPigeon, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2015

When one says on an interview they are best suited to be an upper elementary educator they should have a firm grasp on the content they will be teaching. :2cents:

I'm sure there is NO DOUBT, Christy, that you are highly qualified to teach your specialzed content area. But if you weren't, that would be a reason to not hire you.

2. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2015

I look forward to giving the baseball and bat problem to my fourth graders. We use Singapore math where they use model drawings to solve word problems. This will be a fun problem for them to practice their skill on. It'll be easy for them, but interesting for them to hear how Harvard students have struggled. :)

3. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 8, 2015

I took an Intermediate Algebra course, got a C+ in it, was granted a waiver to get into the education program, as they required a B-.

I was granted the waiver because if I had taken the course a semester later and gotten the same grade, it would've been considered a B- by the CC I attended - they introduced minus grades the spring after I started attending.

The Praxis I is not required for certification - but my university required it. I had accommodations for the math portion (use of a calculator & testing in a quiet environment) and I scored well on it.

Never gotten past the first stage of the interview process - so never taught a demo lesson.

My "Mathematics and Science in Education" course pretty much consisted of the professor having us do algebra problems every week - never going over how to actually teach math - just having us do math problems.

All of my math teachers always said it could not be rearranged ever, too.

After eighth grade, every teacher assumed you knew how to do it (along with something called cross multiplication - we were supposed to be taught in seventh grade, but the teacher said "Well, it's the last day of class, you can either watch this movie or come over to this table and learn cross multiplication." Guess what all of us seventh graders chose?)

Heck, my other math course (Math for the Liberal Arts Major) that dealt with logic was easier than the algebra course - other than the just plain odd division method that uses a box and different colors and lines - I find long division much easier - as long as I have a way to line it up properly.

I have not been asked many math questions in interviews. Usually language arts or behavior management questions are what I am asked. How odd.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 8, 2015

I would like to respectfully disagree.

Of course, this is a "what-if" scenario; a lot of things come into play here. All I was saying is that if a demo lesson had been taught by a candidate on PEMDAS, for example, and they incorrectly taught it (deviating from what is CURRENTLY accepted as correct in the math world), then yes, that could most definitely be the reason that a hiring committee didn't hire that particular candidate.

Christy, I in no way meant to imply that you weren't a good teacher. I am sure quite the opposite is true. I agree with you completely that at the end of the day, silly math rules aren't the most important thing...making sure our kids are the best people they can be is.

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 8, 2015

It really is annoying when people try to use what is essentially a brain teaser to make a comment on educational institutions.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 8, 2015

Thank you for saying so. I in no way took any offense with what you said. :)

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Apr 8, 2015

Teachers teach PEMDAS wrong.

Kids learn PEMDAS wrong.

Kids become teachers who teach PEMDAS wrong.

It's a cycle that needs to be broken.

8. The Natural Log

The Natural Log Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

At the high school level, every time I spot a PEMDAS error on a test/quiz, I write PEMDAS in huge letters across the entire page with a frown face inside the "D" so when they get it back they won't make such mistakes again....hopefully.

9. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Apr 9, 2015

What an interesting discussion! Until high school I went to exSoviet schools. And as a culture, Russians (some 20-30 years ago, at least) didn't think of making it easy for the kids when it came to memorization, of any kind.
    So, we had not PEMDAS, Soggy waffles...

When I immigrated to US, I went to high school, however, mine was "irregular school", a small jewish religious school in Brooklyn. They also didn't teach those PEMDAS.

MY first experience with all those acronyms was after I got my teacher's license and started subbing in schools. I have to admit, I'm fascinanted by the amount of work American put into thinking up those acronyms, because I'm sure it's much easier for american kids to remember things than for us.

btw, I know order of operation well, because I've always been good with math and learning them without anything wasn't hard.

HOwever, in subjects where I'm absolutely dumb, like science, I would've benefited a lot from those hints.

Hmm, this is interesting. So, do you think if I (ever) go to the interviews as an ESL teacher and I don't know any of the PEMDAS, etc. it would make me a good candidate for quick weeding out?

Even though I'm fascinated by PEMDAS and soggy waffles, trying to memorize those things at 30+ is somewhat more challenging than at 8 or 12 years of age :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.