My current tally - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sarge, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2016

I have not applied for any position for which I was not credentialed or would not be credentialed by the start date. For all teaching jobs, I'm NCLB "highly qualified."

Age 54
    Years teaching - 22 (in the following order)
    Middle School 4
    High School 1
    Upper Elementary 2
    First Grade - 13
    Second Grade 2​

Applications submitted 35
    Teaching 5 (all secondary ELA or social science)
    Admin 28 (1 principal, 7 HS assistant principal, 7 elementary assistant principal, the rest middle school AP)
    In my own district 5
    Officially not selected for an interview (aka "screened out") - 3
    No response - 28

Interviews - 5
    Teaching 2 (both not hired)
    Admin 3 (2 not hired, one still pending)
    In my own district 2 (one teaching, one admin, both not hired)

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 27, 2016

I've got my fingers crossed something will come along!

4. IloveSF

IloveSF Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Sounds like my luck, except I have no contracted experience. But I seem to get screened out a lot. I hate those personality tests and no matter what I do, I can't seem to pass them.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2016

Sarge,
    Sometimes people are looking for someone with "less" experience -- they want experienced -- but not too experienced. They worry that someone with 22 years experience may be too set in his own ways and not be willing to adapt to the school culture.

When I worked in public school and was on hiring committees, we often looked for people with 2-8 years of experience for our admin positions, unless we'd gotten a call from someone who gave us the highest of high recommendations for someone else -- and then we'd put them in the consideration pile, too.

No matter what level of experience, we always looked for someone with a positive attitude who had a track record for working well with others from all backgrounds (both teachers, fellow administrators and administrative supervisors), and helping "build up" our less experienced workers, so they would be the best they could be. That was more important to us than any level of experience. If a person didn't have the past 2 or 3 supervisors as references who could attest to this, we were very leery.

It isn't fair, I know, but assuming everyone they interview meets the requirements, the most experienced candidate isn't always the one that is needed to "make the team."

Best wishes in your job search,

-Rain