My current boss for reference?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by heather002, Jan 19, 2021.

1. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

I'm a classroom teacher but want to apply for an interventionist position for next year. The district I'm applying to requires three references, including an administrator from my previous job. I can’t even finish the application process without these references. The thing is that the "previous" job is my current job. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of telling my boss that I'm looking for another job. If anyone can advise me on this, I would really appreciate it.

3. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 19, 2021

Tuankiet,
    You are mistaken. Many teachers choose to become interventionists because they prefer that to the duties of being a classroom teacher. In many districts, interventionist jobs are highly competitive and desirable.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 19, 2021

Unfortunately, in education, 90% of the districts require a reference from your current administrator, and will not accept you application without it. They won't accept a previous administrator, it must be your most recent administrator. Some districts, however, allow one alternative to this, which is providing copies of your most recent and your annual evaluations from your most recent administrator (they have to be "official" and signed by your principal. Not all districts allow this, but I've come across a few who do, so it might be worth a call to the human resources department to find out. The worst they could say is "no."

I've found it is best to just go to your principal and be straightforward about it (because they always do find out that you are applying elsewhere, if you get an interview.) I would just say "I'm very happy with my current job and my current school, but I'm putting feelers out for an interventionist job because I think it would be an excellent fit for me. I'd go a bit further and even ask your current principal if he (or she) would ask around and see if there are any possible openings coming up as an interventionist within your own school (or district), which indicates you want to stay with your current district, but that you really want to be an interventionist someplace.

Best wishes.

6. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

It's a Math interventionist position, and I really like teaching Math, especially in small groups. I'm familiar with strategies and manipulatives, and it's just fun for me. Also, I would like to try a different position because I have so much to deal with as a classroom teacher and it just gets more and more overwhelming every year. I don't know. I'm sure an interventionist job is not a walk in the park either, but I would just like to see how it is..

7. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

Thank you. I would ask one of the administrators who has been my appraiser for the past three years. I don't really feel comfortable asking the principal as I think that she doesn't really care about teachers.. If she finds out, she finds out, but I just don't think that she will be a good reference.

8. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Jan 19, 2021

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2021

Intervention positions are highly, highly sought after in my area. Lots of people are wanting out of the regular classroom. The last time we had such an opening was maybe 6 years ago and at least 5 of our classroom teachers applied for it. A couple of years after that, I decided I wanted to look into intervention. The first year I looked, despite looking at hundreds of schools in my area, there were no jobs to apply for. Presumably they were being filled internally by classroom teachers who already worked there. The second year, I saw less than 5 positions to apply for and got one interview. It ended up being a bust because I found out they would want me to push in- which I loathe and would never voluntarily take a job where that's required. I didn't even think it was a possibility because no one has ever suggested our interventionists push in. I gave up on it after that; since it was district policy that knocked out 60+ schools in the area. The other district in my area that would be good to work for started combining intervention/coach positions and I have no desire to coach.

I knew from when I got my current job that no district in my area would hire me without speaking to my current P. However, many were willing to work with me on the timing, and many even brought it up before I did. On applications, where it asked if they could contact my current P, I put, "Yes, but only as a final step prior to making an offer." In the interview I would explain that she didn't know I was looking/I wouldn't leave unless I found a position I felt was a really good fit. I asked that if they decided I was their final candidate, please let me know so I can talk to her first before they call. Back when I was interviewing for my current position, many principals offered this set up to me without me having to ask for it, so it's not uncommon. In my case I am SO glad I never told my current P I was looking, since I didn't actually end up leaving. That was at least 2 years ago now!

And I'm glad I didn't leave either, because with pandemic budget cuts those positions are being cut to less than full time or going away. Another "red flag" in the interview was that I asked about the long term stability of the position and they were very clear it was based on year to year funding and could never be guaranteed. Over the years at my current school I've established myself as someone who is really strong in interventions and that's basically my entire teaching day now, so it mostly worked out in the end.

10. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jan 20, 2021

I'm an elementary school teacher, so maybe there's a difference. I agree that these kids are very low, but many of my low kids really like getting interventions such as small groups because they can do work on their level and actually get the answers right. They want to show off their good work and please the teacher.

I don't know. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I've never been an interventionist.. I'm just overwhelmed with everything that I need to do as a classroom teacher.. the amount of paperwork that I need to fill out for my GT kids, low kids, SPED, 504, the number of parents that I need to contact every week, student work to grade, pressure of the state exam, etc. There's just so much to do, and I get this feeling that I'm trying my best but don't really get anything done well. It's like using all my energy to do bare minimum, and I'm exhausted.. I just wanted to see if there's any other options..

11. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jan 20, 2021

I expect they would call my principal eventually if they want to hire me, but I just didn't want to put her as a reference on the application because I think the system just sends a survey-like automated email to the references as soon as I click the submit button.

Yes. It does look like stability is an issue. It was stated in the job description page that it is funded through title I and may get discontinued if they don't get funds.. :(

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021