My Class : /

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by NewTeacher05, Nov 21, 2013.

1. NewTeacher05

NewTeacher05 Rookie

Nov 21, 2013

Hello,
    I am a first year K teacher. My class is very needy and attention seeking and have a sibling like relationship with each other (love to talk and be friends, but constantly tattling and pushing, kicking, etc. because "they did it to me 1st"). We do a color behavior chart, and if I ask students to clip down I get attitude tantrums (throwing themselves on the floor) or a 20 min crying session from half of them. I've given candy for positive behavior but I have like 4 or 5 that will pout and cry because they did not get candy and it still does not motivate most of them to change. I email parents and tell them exactly whats going on and I get "We are working with them at home." and nothing changes.

I have 1 student that will be the last kid in line to line up for recess and then GO BACK to the playground and go play until I make the rest of my class start to walk inside and he sees he is about to get in trouble (he always does get in trouble for this). I have told his mom this several times and all she says is "I will look over your notes and get back to you."

I have a couple that whine and say they do not want to do certain assignments, when they tattle on one person, the other person always chimes in with "no I didn't...." I will tell the other person to stop I am not speaking to them right now, but they disrespect me and continue "no, I didn't do anything...." until I threaten with a consequence. The same goes for if I say they are doing something behaviorally wrong they will tell me "No I didn't....."

The only thing they respond to is me threatening their recess time, going to another class room, etc. I don't want to threaten all day long....please help!

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 21, 2013

I am not sure what you expect the parent to do about the recess situation. Instead of getting upset, start giving him a few minutes warning that it is almost time to go in. I had one a few years ago that I would tell him five minutes before the bell to start my line. He would run and get in place and start yelling for classmates. Being the one in front was a reward that got rid of the problem.

As a parent, I can't do much for what happens at school. I also don't believe in bribes. I am a strict teacher, but I don't really know what makes my students mind me. It is funny parents and other parents think I am mean, but the most mischievous children hunt me out each day for a hug. They will act better for me than others. I do know that I am consistent. IF you get in trouble for it today, you will get in trouble for it tomorrow.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2013

Rehearse and model appropriate behavior/responses through role-play.

As for the complaining about doing assignments, I always told my students that no one is allowed to complain about learning.

However, do make sure that your activities are fun and developmentally appropriate.

5. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Nov 29, 2013

The ones that give you attitude about moving their clip. Give them a choice - either you do it and move it down one spot or I do it and move it down two spots.