My class was horrible for a sub!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kpa1b2, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2012

I had to take today off for personal reasons. My TA called me after nap time to tell me that the class was being horrible! I asked him who was following directions. He named 4 students. Only 4. Knowing my class, there should have been at least a couple of more. That means that not even my usually well behaved kids were being well behaved!

So, of course, I'm going to reward those 4. Yeah for Dollar Tree toys! Trying to decide what I'm going to do with the rest. To top it off tomorrow is the 100th Day. On Friday, we were going to join a couple of other kindergarten classes and watch 101 Dalmations complete with snacks. I'm taking that away. We'll still watch the movie, just not with the other classes and no snacks.

What do you do when your class misbehaves for a sub?

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 1, 2012

My class misbehaves for me all of the time, so I know they will be out of control for a sub. I've been out sick since today. I know my room will look like a tornado hit it.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2012

It really depends on the age of the students. Since you teach K, I would say that you are doing enough of a punishment. I would have a conversation with them about how they behaved and how the sub probably felt. Then maybe write an apology letter to the sub.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 1, 2012

I've had that happen in the past. I usually lay down the law hard before a sub comes in, if I can. If it's individuals, the consequences depend on the behavior. When it's the whole class, we take our recess time for several days writing letters of apology to the sub, to the principal, and to me. They have to go through the entire writing process (brainstorm, rough draft, revise, edit, etc). Once they know what's happening, I don't mention it again, except at recess time. I go on with my day like normal. It's been pretty effective in the past. I used guilt last year (my worst class ever). I had missed due to being sick and they lost their little minds with the sub (not a great sub, but still, it doesn't matter, they KNOW how to behave). After I explained the consequences I told them that I was supposed to be out the following month for a workshop and that I had cancelled because of their behavior. (Actually, the workshop was cancelled, but I never told them.) They were a lot better for subs for the rest of the year.
    I think the subs help/hurt the behavior, too. Where I live, the only requirement for a sub is a high school degree. They do have to have a background check, but that's it. There are 2 great subs, 1 ok sub, and 4.....living subs. We fight for those 2! (I have one booked already for 2 days in April! lol

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2012

I've had the living sub before! This sub was new to the building & this was only the 2nd time this year that they had a sub without me being in the building. The last time, there were no problems.

5 yrs old & they took advantage of my TA not feeling well & my not being there. Oh quickly they learn!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2012

They will learn!

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2012

When I taught kinder, I would spend the day before they had a sub and went over what the sub was going to be doing with them. "The sub will do this with you guys. Johnny, I want you to help the sub out with morning calendar and lead the class. We won't do this part because it's just too tricky. Is that okay with you guys? Great...." and so on. My subs left me good notes and didn't mind coming back.

The one time my kids were bad was my first year subbing and I didn't prep them beforehand. I sat down with them and explained how embarrassed I was to hear how bad they were. That I wanted them to show off how awesome and smart they were to our guest teacher and they didn't. And so on.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2012

I try not to get involved in things that happen in my room when I'm not there or that happen at lunch, specials, etc. I have a few students who are typically very difficult with routine changes (IE substitutes) also, most of the subs in my school barely speak English and have no business working with children so I don't always trust what I hear from them. It's not worth it to try to listen to all of the different student's sides of the story either and let the issue carry into our classroom time. I tell the subs to notify the AP if they're having a behavior issue.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2012

Your TA should not have called you on a personal day.:sorry:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2012

I was thinking the same thing! I would not have answered the phone if school called me when I had been off for the day.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 11, 2012

I knew as soon as the phone rang that my class was being horrible! I was able to cancel the special 101 day activity we were going to do & I bought something extra special for those 4 kids that were being awesome!

13. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 11, 2012

I'm sorry about your class. I try to always include which students behaved well. As a teacher I would like to hear about the good things my class did when I was out.

I'm glad you bought a special treat for those who were awesome!

14. AFine

AFine Rookie

Feb 11, 2012

I only give consequences if I know the sub personally and can trust them or if I have specific details of their behavior. Otherwise, I know that my students who are mostly lower level math students are going to struggle with an unqualified sub (the kind you usually get for an unplanned sick day). I will talk to them about it, but I don't always give consequences. I get a feel for the sub first and judge from there. I have had some atrocious subs and feel guilty blaming the kids for that.

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Feb 12, 2012

"Living sub".....LOL, I LOVE that label. Too funny. :lol:

From the sub's perspective, I know most teachers have told their class ahead of time what they expect from them behavior-wise. I've found that, when a class doesn't respond to the regular corrective cues, I can always remind them I DO leave a note for the REGULAR teacher describing the behavior of each class in general and, if necessary, the behavior of specific individuals within each class and the REGULAR teacher is the one that will determine what consequences - if any - are called for by that behavior.

That simple reminder can quiet a class of middle schoolers down quicker than just about anything else.

As for the class in question, I think the loss of snack and getting to see the movie with friends is punishment enough for that age. While they should know how to behave, the fact is they are still very young children and things like this will happen. They are even MORE prone to follow the behavior of others than kids in higher grades. The punishment should be strong enough to convey your disappointment at the bad decisions they made when the sub was there, but it should also be flexible enough to let them know you understand it was a one-time thing and that, overall, they are still a good bunch of kids.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 12, 2012

I so totally agreed with that! I don't do that as much now since I have a full time TA. But, when I don't have a TA, I consider who the sub was before making a decision.

I got a note from a sub one day, but I didn't recognize the name. My class had not been on their best behavior and had given her an extremely hard time. This was 3rd grade. I had a tough class that year. If you didn't have classroom management skills they would run right over you. I went to the AP & found out who the sub was. It was a "living body" sub. Different consequence then if it had been a sub with good classroom management.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2012

we call those 'warm bodies'.:mellow:
    Regardless, my class is well aware of my expectations and I know I can count on my grade level colleagues go 'step in' if needed.