My class pics-- I'm embarrassed.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nayelismom, Aug 8, 2008.

1. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 9, 2008

I think you have done a great job in your room!!

2. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I think it looks great! I agree with what everyone else said about decorating with the students' work.

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 9, 2008

i love your give me five chart! I need one of those!

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

It looks excellent actually--inviting and happy.

Clutter will come--trust us!

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 9, 2008

I think it looks great as well.

6. phillygirl

phillygirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I think your room looks great!

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 9, 2008

I've been teaching for 12 years and every year I try to make my room look less and less full. I just think it helps to biuld the environment with the kids.

It looks great to me!

Kelly :)

8. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I agree with the other posters. I think you can overwhelm kids with too much stuff. You have covered the basics. Have you thought about a word wall? I know you have a science and math wall which is great but what about high-frequency words?

Also, I bought that job kit from Target too. It was cute. I was trying to think of another title like "Won't you lend a hand?" or "Helping hands stay out of pockets" I decided to us my other job chart and I am trying to see what I can use this one for. I like the shooting star cards that I thought about using for my star student.

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2008

I love your classroom. Overwhelming, overdecorated classrooms do not help children. I encourage you to keep it just as it is :)

10. clld2tch

clld2tch Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

I'm so glad that you posted your pics! This is my first year too and I was fighting with the same issue. I kept thinking that my room looked so EMPTY...like I was missing so much stuff. You're room is really nice and all of the positive comments makes me feel better about my own room.

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

Your room is so tidy and that's a big plus for children, especially when they first come into a new place. You are doing a fine job of putting the room together in a way that works. I can see you different areas. You also have a cute puppet theatre, and I love your Arthur doll. I love that show. Yes, I know it's also a book series, but the show is the only one I actually enjoy that my daughters watch.

Don't be intimidated by other people's stuff. You are on the right track!

12. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I agree that your room is very tidy and organized. And I doubly agree that "THE STUFF WILL COME IN TIME." You have what you need to be an awesome teacher. I have a lot on my walls already, and I think it looks cluttered, but we have a list of things that should be on our walls, so I'm doing the best I can. I don't remember seeing a USA/world map...that might be one thing to consider. The other posters are ones you will make with the children; the definition of synonyms/antonyms and exmples, the reading strategies, math clue words, etc. The more you make with the students, the more ownership they will have in the classroom.

13. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I love your room -- and I agree with the others that it is nice and clutter-free.

I am one of those people who becomes overstimulated when there is too much visual "stuff" going on. It keeps me from concentrating, and I know there are lots of kids affected in the same way.

BTW, I love your board with all the undersea creatures.

14. Nessy

Nessy Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Your classroom does look great! And like everyone has said, student work and things you make for specific subjects will go up fast. By the end of the year, you'll be looking for more wall space.

Anyway, my only suggestion is you might want to look for a big rug on Craigslist or somewhere else (I found a 10'x15' rug on there for free my first year). I have fourth graders and I have them on the floor for read aloud and when I'm doing my specific instruction. With second grade, I would think you might want them on the floor for certain things as well. Just a suggestion to make it a little cozier.

15. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I think a rug might be nice too. Maybe you can get a parent to donate. My sixth and seventh graders sometimes wanted to sit on the floor when we did things. I was broke, so when we wanted to do that, I put tablecloths on the floor because our carpet was gross.