My Class Is Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Sep 1, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 1, 2011

and I just don't know what else to try.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 1, 2011

I would bet that a small part of it is that you are remembering your end of the year first graders compared to brand new kindergartners. Also, if you are like me, we have only had recess 2 days and even at 8:30 we could barely stand it more than 10 minutes when we usually aim for 20 or so the first few weeks. Are they competitive? Could you do table points? I even started giving out random trips to the treasure box for cleaning up the quietist, walking nicely in the hall, and that kind of thing. I also had a student call his mom during class and tell her what he had done that day (and the list was LONG) and that always seems to get the others back in line too!

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Sep 1, 2011

I have subbed in Kindergarten classrooms that are exactly like you described! They are out there. I think that if you are consistent and let them understand the consequences of breaking your rules, it is going to get a whole lot better.

I subbed in a Kindergarten room last spring and knew it was going to be a bad day when I called all of the kids to come sit on the carpet for calendar and only one kid came! I sure had to work for my money that day!

5. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 2, 2011

I do have 25 kids and many have not been to school before-I know that's a factor as well. I have just never had a class like this before. I'm saying the same things over and over all day long. Any suggestions?
    It's only the second week. Give yourself a break! Be consistent and start where the children are in their social development. I know it can be tough. Kids can sense frustration, so be cool. Know that your group is going to take longer to get the hang of things and celebrate the small steps toward success. Yes, I tell our teachers all the time, you need to sound like a broken record!! Show your genuine concern, love and respect for the children and eventually they will get it. EVENTUALLY. I love classes like this because they really help me to grow as a teacher. I always learn a lot about myself and my commitment to help those most in need!

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

I feel ya! Keep up the good work! I agree, add table points. That helped with my clean up time at least! We also have dollars that I hand out to quiet working children and students who sit on the carpet correctly. They can buy things from the treasure box or dollar store. We just finished week 4 and things are much much better. I took the first 3 weeks going over and over routines and rules. Take a whole half hour to practice walking in a line outside. Promise they can play on the playground when they get it right. I also agree with more outside play time in the beginning and believe it or not we have to fight the principle for this! But they need it. They are just learning to play with a large group of kids. They really need socialization skills the most! Good luck! :love:

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

This was my class last year - and it was a long, rough year (sorry I won't candy-coat). I went home crying nearly everyday the first 3 weeks of school. I did make it through and so did the kids (in fact they grew leaps and bounds and were on target academically).

I agree with pre-k teacher, that class, as rough as it was and I don't look forward to another, helped me grow exponentially as a teacher. I am thankful for the experience (looking back).

This year I have a beautiful class - so there is life after the class from H***. Good luck and try to embrace the experience!

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

Mine have been pretty good so far, but they don't move. I say stand up and theystay sitting. I ask them to come to the carpet & they don't move.

This group is going to have it's challenges. I referred 5 for speech. The speech person came in to observe 4 of them, she's pretty sure that they will qualify for speech. She thinks that 1 of the will qualify for OT. (I'm thinking if he qualifies then a couple of others should also). The 5th one was out with the psychologist, Mom wanted him tested as he has seizures. The psychologist thinks he should qualify for speech & OT.

Another child is being tested, she had been retained. I have 2 others that were retained that I'm putting through child study. Plus a CI child.

I have at least 4 children who have no clue to any letters or numbers.

Oh yea, it'll be a long year!

Good luck kinder!!!

9. dxj6482

dxj6482 Rookie

Sep 4, 2011

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2011

dx: you hope that peer pressure works! When I've done this & I have that one. . .I try to catch him/her being good & award table points.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 4, 2011

That was my thought too. The kids aren't going to want to sit with or work with any of those notorious boogerbears if it means their table never "wins".

Tasha-you are probably right. It's been 2 years since I had a beginning of the year with all new kids. Maybe it's just a matter of waiting out the storm! :)

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 4, 2011

Sometimes the peer pressure helps THOSE kids a lot ;) You can also have more individual points or have the kids that are a big problem on their own behavior plan while the rest of the class has points. I have even had class points - I actually used links, and when the links touched the floor we had a treat. So maybe if all of the kids cleaned up and made it to the me rug in 7 minutes (or whatever) you give a link and then reduce the time over time. You could make different rules for giving links to fit each part that is a problem and fill it up faster (to get the reward) and then start over.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2011

The beginning of the year is always hard, and I always forget just how much until the beginning. I have had a few parents call and are concerned because their child doesn't know what to do when he/she comes in and feels sick and nervous. Oh boy. Last week was week 3 and it feels like they are getting a bit better. I bet your kiddos will get into the groove soon enough, but it will take time. Just keep practicing, even though it's all you've done, and be consistent. I love that it took your class 20 minutes to walk down the hall because it shows you wouldn't accept less than what they should be doing. I think you will get there, but it might be rough. I have a tough class this year too, so I feel your pain. Hugs to you, and keep us posted.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 5, 2011

I really like that idea Tasha-thanks! We'll try it tomorrow! :thumb:

Thanks Tami! I guess I was just too used to my other class. It has to get better with time.

15. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

You can change-up table seating occasionally. I always have to move kids around periodically. Some combinations will just never work, today I separated two girls who are themselves both very good but together they just have too much fun!!

Great suggestions, and I just want to say sometimes I realize that I am just giving them too much, too fast. I need to slloooww dooown and moooddduullate my voice, and give one step at a tiiimme. And make eye contact so they know I am talking to them.

In every class there are a few like this, but when you have a lot of them it changes the entire character of the class. Treat the whole class like "that kid" who needs extra instruction and clarity.

And just as "that kid" usually ends up having a special place in your heart, I bet this class will!! :wub:

16. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Sep 5, 2011

I can feel you pain! But mine is also doubled with 7 prekinders and 11 kinders. I forgot what the beginning of the school year in kindergarten was like. So I'm remembering the end of last year. Here are some things I have tried.

I wait for them and we practice silence.
    For those who are ready when the line leaves I take them.
    For those who are not ready in line they stay behind and we go over the line procedures again. (they really hate that)
    I also tell them once its time to go outside that if the line has been really bad... we practice walking the halls for some of our outside time.

But to help with the attention span I do try to shorten my group, but at the same time get them use to what i do for morning group and afternoon group.

Hang in there! I asked one of my students and she told me in the most sincere voice ever, "that she is new to school and she is trying, but sometimes its hard to stand, sit still and to help her." Needless to say she is right.. and so i give her a break