My class at ELAR and they are terrible at the ABC's

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, Sep 27, 2018.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2018

I figured out pretty early on in this school year that this WHOLE class loves math. They sit still, are attentive and actually retaining my math lessons. They are nothing spectacular. Now let's put any kind of literacy on the stage and they can not sit still, are not retaining any lessons, and their comprehension is horrible. They can't remember even the letters and sounds of the letters we have focused on and sight words forget it. My reading lessons are solid and mostly come from F&P and yes the "dreaded" scripted Saxon that I will stand by until something else is proven to better. I have never had an entire class like this. Uusually it's one or two that hate a subject. Help!!!! Any suggestions???? BTW six weeks testing. My Math average was in the 90's my reading was in the 70's.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 27, 2018

Why not use math to teach them reading? Walk them through words for numbers and words for operations. Start with "six" and "ten" and "add", which are phonically regular with short vowels, and get them thinking about how the sounds are represented in the words; "seven" is also good. Then "sixteen" and "seventeen", and "sixty" and "seventy" (both of which contain forms of "ten"). Teach them "plus" and "equals" - I assume you're using that in math - and then walk them through an equation in words. By this time, someone's likely to wonder how some other numbers' names are written; go with it. And so on. I bet they'll struggle less with "eight" than you think. And then you can start bridging to non-math words that contain similar syllables, onsets, and rimes.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2018

What does your reading block look like? I don't know what Saxon is, but maybe if it's not working with your group, maybe something else is needed? My personal experience is that Lucy Calkins' Reading and Writing workshops are amazing. AMAZING. The students get to use a lot of play (act out their books, change their voice, "play" school with a reading partner, etc.), which makes it exciting for the students. She has a new word study program that I am not familiar with, but you could try a workshop method and incorporate your phonics into that time. Also, I would look at strategies you could implement to help your students learn the letter sounds. For example, adding a motion for each letter and sound. Jolly phonics is wonderful because it does this. Visuals and motions are powerful tools that help students recall (and you can do this with vocabulary and high frequency words as well).