my cbest scores...

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Tamzara, May 9, 2007.

1. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 9, 2007

Hi all! I just registered and I’ve been wondering for the longest time if I should post this or not, but I’ve realized not getting any sleep over it and beating myself up isn’t helping me so I might as well.

I got my CBEST scores a few days ago and I was totally surprised. I hadn’t passed the Math and the Writing part the first time I took it because I wasn’t ready for it, however, this time I thought I was.I practiced the Math portion more and I thought I know a lot of it. Also I got the structure of the writing part but I ended up getting a lower score on both of the sections then last time.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’m going to study more this time, but I’m so scared that maybe the same thing will happen again. I want to get my teaching credential. I want to be a teacher, but I feel like because I cant even pass a simple math and writing test, I will never be one.

I just feel helpless sometimes. Maybe it’s all in my head and I have to overcome this fear I’ve put on myself. =(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2007

That's a hard place to be, Tamzara.

How are you generally as a test taker? And how are you as someone to study for a test with?

4. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 10, 2007

I've always been a great test taker. I know how to study. I've done more studying in my life then just about anything else.

I dont know why this test seems to intimidate me. I look at it and think, "I should know this. I SHOULD!" but I just cant seem to do it.

It really must be all in my head.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2007

What have you been doing to prep, and what with?

6. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 10, 2007

I bought Cracking the CBEST by the Princeton Review last time. It helped me understand what was on the test, but when I took the test I realized the things in the review was much easier then what was on the test. Oh, and I studied the questions on the CBEST website, which kind of perpared me. For the writing section, I went back to my High School essay's I wrote, only because the Princeton Review basically explained that the essay should be structured as a 5 paragraph essay. So, I thought that would help.

I got my scores in the mail yesterday, and it said that in essay part, I need improvement in Usage, Structure and conventions. I thought I had those down but... nope.

In the math part, my weakest was Estimation, measurement and Statistical principles. (I knew that already, but when I did my pratice I thought I had it down.) Oh and I was weak at computation and problem solving.

I have to actually listen to what the score is saying and pratice problems like that more.

I'm going to go to the library on saturday to get books to help me with these.

This has taught me studying in college is not the same as studying for a standardized test.
    The more I time I spend feeling sorry for myself the less time I have actually studying to get a passing score.

7. BACI

BACI New Member

May 10, 2007

You think the CBSET is hard, the CSET is a realy doozy. I had trouble being concise enough to fit my responses, but structured enough that an english teacher would approve. It took me multiple times. I found it best to study out of the AP books. I hope this helps!

8. herrmannmarty

herrmannmarty New Member

May 10, 2007

Yeah I hear you on that. Uh huh... take your time studying the material

9. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 10, 2007

I guess it is different with everyone.

Studying for AP books is a great idea. I didnt think of that. Thanks so much.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2007

AP materials can be helpful for CSET single subject exams; they're broadly less so for CSET multiple subjects.

CBEST and CSET are simply different animals.

- CBEST explores the test taker's basic skills; people struggle with it either because they've got gaps in their skill base that they didn't know they had (and it's best to find out sooner rather than later and get those gaps remedied) or because they overthink the exam.

- CSET explores the test taker's knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge, sometimes in unexpected ways. The test taker should count on seeing questions that he or she can't answer right away - it's because the answer isn't known but rather to be worked out on the fly.

11. boz22

boz22 New Member

May 10, 2007

Fo shizzle my nizzle! Try studying the released CSET questions from the CDE website

They tend to repeat at least certain themes in their questions
    :eek: :D

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 11, 2007

Wait: CSET released questions on the CDE Web site? Where? I know there are CST released questions, but CST isn't CSET.

13. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 11, 2007

Boz22,
    Do you mean the practice questions on the CSET website?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2007

If there really are released CSET questions, I for one would love to know.

15. jd123

jd123 Cohort

May 12, 2007

Ditto.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2007

The noise you hear, however, is me not holding my breath.

17. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 12, 2007

I looked at the CDE website but I couldnt find it. Maybe I overlooked it.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 12, 2007

Possible, but not, I think, probable.

19. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 14, 2007

Probable!

I went to the library over the weekend. I got a few old CBEST study books. One of them was from 2000. I looked though the math questions and some of them are useful but most of them were not. I believe this is because they took Geometry out of the test?
    But, I couldn’t find anything else. I was trying to find specific math books but the system in the library showed to many theories and math that I didn’t need. I also tried to look for AP books but I couldn’t find those.
    I wanted to ask if any of you know other materials I can use to study.

Any info would be great. Thank you!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2007

AP books are waaaay beyond what's needed for CBEST.

Try looking in the education section of your local big bookstore for skills review books for elementary students - these will typically be softcover workbooks, and most big bookstores carry an increasingly formidable supply of them. Leaf through the books for the different grades till you find one that fits a majority of your needs and that explains clearly what you need to do.

For the writing, have a look at Barnes & Noble's SparkChart on "The New SAT: Writing": that's an elegant and concise dissection of what does and does not belong in a standard formal essay.

Where did you fall short on the essays?

21. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 14, 2007

Oh thats a great idea. Thank you!

When I looked at the CliffTest prep book at the library there was a better explanation in the essay section then the one I had in The Princeton Review. It goes into dept and has lots of example. After I looked though it I realized what I did wrong on the essay.

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2007

There's no such thing as the one right book for everyone, that's for sure. (There may not even be such a thing as the one right book for ANYone, but that's another story...)

23. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

May 14, 2007

You are right...but anything at this point will help.

I just want to pass the test so I can get this yucky feeling out of my stomach.

24. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

This morning, I took the test. I wasn’t as nervous as the last two times. I took very hard deep breaths before I started, which calmed me down a lot. Once I got going, I seemed to figure out everything. The math wasn’t as bad as I thought it was. There were a lot of things that I figured out and all that studying helped refresh my memory. I feel very confident that I passed, but being the worrier I am, I wont relax about it until I get my score. Hopefully, it will be high enough and I wont continue having sleepless nights over this.

Thank you TeacherGroupie for your help. A lot of the links your posted in other threads really helped me out.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

Sounds promising, Tamzara. Now please go do something tonight that will take your mind off the test, okay?

26. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

=)

I'm going to be painting tonight.

Thank you again!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

Painting as in art, or painting as in house?

28. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Art. =)

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2007

Very good, then!

Now I can't resist: representational or abstract, and oil or what?

30. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

I mostly paint (representational) portraits with oil.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2007

That's awesome, Tamzara. When people who know from art mention influences they see in your work, what do they mention?

32. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Funny you ask that question because for the past three years I've been trying to develop my own style so people wont compare me to other artists. My professor would always say, "Its to much Lucian Freud. Its toooo much!"
    Though I love Lucian Freud, I didn’t want to have his style. SO, one day, I said, "THE HELL WITH IT!" I just picked up different colors, smooth out the paint and it developed into something else.
    By influences, the only thing many people have told me is their connection with the content of the piece. When they look at it, they remember something in their lives, how they feel, or another artists that does portraits like that.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2007

Lucian Freud, I will admit to knowing not nearly enough about.

What I was fishing for here, in the absence of images, was simply some points of orientation; if I may be forgiven a massive oversimplification, it would seem from your description that your work's more nearly like realism than impressionism.

34. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

You should definitely check him out. He is way too famous now, which doesnt make him as desirable for me. I have a bad habit of not wanting to share the things I love so much with the world.

You are right, it is more realism then impressionism.

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2007

(smiling gently)
    Artist As Fabulous Secret, eh?

I saw a reproduction of one of his paintings that made me squirm: it was of a woman undressed (A to Z will not let me use a Technical Art Term), and it appeared as though he didn't much like the woman; and TeacherGroupie does not voluntarily read novels whose authors don't seem to like their main characters. Which means much of my reading these days is YA, and that may go far to explain my presence on A to Z.

36. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jun 17, 2007

Hahaha.
    A lot of his subject matters are "undressed."

Maybe, if you looked at it in a different way. Not that he doesnt like the women, but what if he wants show to what they happen to be? Freud's subjects are often the people in his life; friends, family, fellow painters, lovers, children. So I cant imagine he didnt liked her.

But, in any case, art is subjective and we all see it differently.

Btw, is it okay that we went off-topic?
    I'm sure its not. I dont know why I'm asking.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 17, 2007

The going off topic was my fault; I'm cursed with a divergent brain. Pardon me while I grovel suitably. But it's not the first time that a thread on A to Z has gone a-wandering, and it's spectacularly unlikely to be the last.

As to the Lucian Freud repro, could be I need to see other works, or that one in a different context, or something.

38. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

I just got my score for the math section. I'm still waiting for the writing section.

I passed the math section. I'm sooo happy. I had a 25 on my last attempt but I got a 44 this time.
    I couldnt sleep last night, and all morning I was trying to keep it out of my mind by playing with the kids, but I'm just SO happy!

Thank you again for your encouraging words and all the help.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Brava, Tamzara! I'm tickled for you! Celebrate YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT with your nearest and dearest, or your best cheerleaders, or preferably both, hm?

40. Tamzara

Tamzara Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

=)
    Thank you!

I had ice cream with my mom. YAY!
    LOL.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 2, 2007

Oh, excellent!