my cat (sad)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scooter503, Nov 2, 2011.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 2, 2011

Cat lovers, beware as you read this...it's hard for me to write.

We have a cat who is inside/outside. We got her specifically to be a mouser, and she caught a lot of rodents this summer. Last week she was out and was gone for quite a few days (she's usually gone 12-36 hours at a time). We started to worry after two nights...especially when the temps were hovering near/below freezing. We put out food and a box with towels in case she came back in the middle of the night.

Anyway, she came back Monday night after 5+ days...with a broken leg. We took her to the vet, and it was bad....compound fracture (through the skin), open wound, infection. The vet felt she was probably hit by a car...maybe even the first day she left. He suggested putting her to sleep, but we decided we couldn't do that...she obviously worked SO hard to get back to us. Anyway, after weighing the other options (one of which would have meant 4-6 months in a cage-like device with pins/screws, etc. and a cost of almost $3000), we had her leg amputated today. She is on antibiotics and should be home sometime tomorrow.

It was such a hard decision. Just wondering what others might have decided. BTW, she is only 4.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2011

Animals learn to adapt pretty quickly after losing a leg. If I had been in your situation, I would have done the same thing. The being in a cage for that long would not have been humane to the cat, IMO. I hope that with the antibotics, the cat heals quickly.

4. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Nov 2, 2011

We went through the same thing with my kitty a couple years ago. He was about 3 at the time. He did adapt REALLY well to having only 3 legs. I did feel bad for him when he'd try to scratch his ears and couldn't, though. (I'd help him out!)

Sadly, he disappeared on Labor Day weekend and we haven't seen him since. :( There were a couple other kitties that went missing so we think the coyotes might have been close. But if that is what happened, I think it would have happened regardless of him missing a leg or not. Your kitty will be just fine!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2011

To think of your hurt, scared cat giving it her all to return to you both breaks my heart and makes me smile...she is loved, obviously. You did what I would have done. I wish her the best! :)

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2011

I would have done the same. No offense to my kitty, but I wouldn't spend the $3000 for the other option.

Will she be an indoor only cat now?

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 2, 2011

I have heard that animals adapt very quickly and then don't even know that they are missing a leg. I think you made the right choice.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 2, 2011

I would have made the same choice you did. I've known a lot of 3-legged cats through my work with cat rescue groups. All of them had adapted quite well, to the point where if you didn't look, you might not even notice the cat was missing a leg. I hope your cat heals quickly!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2011

I also would have done whatever I could before putting down a pet. It's only a last option for me.

Are you going to keep your cat indoors for now on?

10. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Nov 2, 2011

I actually almost adopted a three legged cat this past weekend. My apartment only allows two :( Such a sweet little girl...I dog got a hold of her :(

But I agree, I would have done whatever I could have done, and I have seen plenty of dogs and cats with one or even two legs amputated.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2011

That's a real shame! :( I certainly agree w/ not wanting her put to sleep after she found her way back to you. I'm sure I would have done the same thing as you, if not going ahead & paying the $3000. I've had cats before, but I'm so much more a dog person, so I might have paid the money because I don't have any kids (yet) & my dog is my baby...unless my dog's already older, then maybe the amputation.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 2, 2011

I would do the same.

My mom had a three legged cat (named Lucky of course) and he would run through the house!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 2, 2011

Your kitty must really love you. I'm glad you decided to take the best possible care you could of her. Hugs to you and kitty.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Nov 2, 2011

I think I probably would have ended up doing the same thing, even though I know it must have been a really tough decision. Your cat is definitely well-loved.

15. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 2, 2011

I would have done it too! We had a 10 year old dog who fell into a grain auger and broke her leg. Mom and I really tried to convince dad to put her down, but after seeing her hobble around in her huge cast and seeing the sparkle still in her eyes, we decided she was not done yet. It was amputated and she lived another 3ish years. She would still try to chase the UPS man even to the end!

Your cat will adapt!! Good luck!

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 3, 2011

I have known several animals that have lost a limb. They adapt very well and in a couple months you won't even be able to tell she got hurt. She is lucky to have you make that decision for her.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 3, 2011

Awwww, so sorry to hear about your cat's ordeal. But, it is reassuring to hear from everyone that cats can and do adapt to the loss of a limb. I think you made the humane decision.

The last time my younger cat escaped, he returned by dragging his injured body home. The vet said he'd been hit by a car and I thought he wouldn't make it. He had internal injuries and lived. He desperately tries to get out still but hasn't been able to sneak past me. I hope yours will stay inside now.

18. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 3, 2011

Our cat came home from the vet today! The vet said her infection was not as bad as he had feared. He did a great job. She is surprisingly alert and has no bandages or restrictions of any kind. She's been moving around, and has eaten a few times.

In answer to questions...my husband says she will be an indoor only cat now. I see his point, but know how much she loved being outside. I'm hoping she will lose interest in being outside so it's not an issue.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 3, 2011

That's good news. I hope she continues to surprise you with her quick recovery. My cat has never accepted being kept inside, but I know what's best for him. And I can't help but recall how he looked when he was injured. Good luck!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 3, 2011

I don't know if I could make an outdoor cat an indoor cat even if I knew it was a safety issue. Poor thing. I know that must be a hard inner battle.

As for forking over money to do what you did, I would have done the same in a heartbeat. Many animals do recover and get around with remarkable resiliance. How sweet he is reunited and you now know what has happened and that he will be alright. I'm sure it was scary and heartbreaking but it is also a miracle too.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 6, 2011

How is she doing Scooter?

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 7, 2011

A friend of mine does cat rescue and foster. She has talked about several tripod cats. They adapt so quickly (cats and dogs). You definitely made a wise choice. Good luck on the inside cat issue. It's hard to change them!

23. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 7, 2011

She is doing really well. She spent Saturday hiding under the bed, but was pretty social yesterday (even when we had company, which isn't always the case). She was awake most of the day, and even starting jumping up onto and off of furniture. We are weaning back the pain meds and she is adapting well to that. She gets around rather well.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Nov 7, 2011

Aw, poor baby. :( What a blessing that she wasn't killed and made it home to you. A little fighter!

How is she responding to the amputation? As far as keeping her indoors now, could you possibly put her outside on a leash? The reason I ask is because one of my cats was a stray (I got her from a shelter), and I can tell that she is just meant to be outside. I take her outside sometimes in the summer (supervised), but she is so depressed most of the time. I just can't let her out on her own, though. I'm just worried your cat will get depressed, too (especially with the amputation).

Also, if you do put her on a leash, make sure she is supervised. When I was little, my kitten got all tangled up on her leash and died. (I'm sure you have thought of all of this already. :) )

25. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011

I found my cat outside as a stray. He wasn't fixed, and he was really built like an outside tomcat. I am pretty sure he was eating rodents and birds until I found him. He did try to escape for the first year, but overall, he has adapted well to becoming a fat lazy indoor cat. Even when I try to coax him out the door now, he wants nothing to do with outside. They will adapt - just play with them a lot - give them places to climb and new, interesting things to play with. I also hide treats so it gives him the feelings of hunting and finding.

26. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 9, 2011

She seems to be doing fine with the amputation. She's started jumping up onto furniture again and moves around really well.

As for the outside thing, we did make her stay inside last winter for about 6 months (we got her fixed in November of last year, and by the time she was healed decided it was too cold to let her out for awhile). Once she's healed we'll let her out into the garage to hunt (I know we have mice in the garage). Not sure if we'll get a collar and leash for her...I'm wondering if it would just be easier on her to not let her out at all. She's been going to the patio door (where we usually let her out), but has just been sitting there. When she used to want out she'd get very insistent...scratching the door, meowing louder and louder. We used to let her out just so she'd be quiet!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Nov 9, 2011

Would you consider creating a cat-safe outdoor area for her? There are all kinds of ideas online for enclosing outdoor spaces for cats to play in.

I'm so glad to hear she's adjusting so well!