My cat may have cancer

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherkasey, Oct 15, 2007.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 15, 2007

Well, I took Holly to the vet and was trying to be optomistic but it looks like that didn't work. Holly is my baby, my 13 year old cat who I have had since the day she was born. She is my child and I love her so much.

I took her to the vet tonight to get her rabies shot and b/c I had noticed some small lumps growing around one of her nipples. The vet said that they are mammory tumors and are likely cancerous b/c of how fast they are growing and the fact that Holly was never fixed.

I have 3 options... One is to do nothing and let her live out the rest of her life. With this, the tumors will continue to grow and if it is cancer it will spread. She will eventually begin to have trouble breathing, the tumors will ulcerate, and then it will be best to put her down. The second option is to have x-rays done to see if there is any visible signs of the cancer spreading and to have the tumors removed and have a biopsy on them to find out if they are cancerous. They gave me an "estimate" on the cost of surgery (like her life is like having repairs done on a car:mad:...sorry I'm just really upset right now) and it will cost around $515. Then if it is cancer, who knows where we will have to go from there. The third option isn't really an option because she is 13 years old and the risks of complications are not worth the risk.

She is such a good girl. And the vet kept commenting on how Holly is one of the most beautiful cats she has ever seen and so well behaved. I just can't imagine Holly not being here to jump up on my bed at night and meow at me to pet her:wub:.

So I need objective opinions here... what would you do if you were in this situation?

3. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Oct 15, 2007

My dog, who was 15, had cancer last year. We had tumors removed from her mouth once and the vet said she had a couple of years left. After the removal it spread really fast. We had another one removed...and it grew back again. Vet wouldn't remove anymore...so about 4 months after discovering it we had to put her to sleep. It was the hardest thing my family had to do. It's not an easy decision to make. I literally was on the floor and couldn't get up I was so sick over it. So I understand what you are going thru...and it's hard to know what to do.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 15, 2007

I would go with the first. let her live in peace until she is ready to go.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 15, 2007

It would be hard for me to make that decision. My Lizzie is snuggled up across my arms as I type. Is she in any sort of pain? Did the vet seem to lean towards one or the other? Could you handle the money for the surgery? I wanted to be a vet growing up. My entire life, through the start of college was about being a vet. I was at the vet's office with my cat (getting her stitches out after her being fixed) and a dog came in that had a fishbone down in it's throat. The secretary was telling the guy that if the vet couldn't get it out they would have to do surgery and it would be several hundred dollars. This big man started crying saying they couldn't afford the surgery so they would have to have the dog put down if that were the case. That was one of the times when I knew that I couldn't be a vet. I couldn't make a family make that sort of choice. That's why I like my vet now, he knows that Lizzie is more than just a "pet". He even takes care of my classroom pets for me. He has put down 3 rats for me, no charge, and doesn't laugh when I cry about it.

6. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I can't image having to make the decision. The summer before last my male cat got really sick....wouldn't eat, drink, just layed in a chair on a pillow....and he is a big time lap cat. I took him to the vet, and they drew blood, at first the vet thought he could have feline leuk. Thankfully he didn't have it....just some strong infection. After a couple of rounds of antibiotics he was much better. I do remember standing at the vet's office with my mom waiting for results and trying not to cry.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2007

You are so kind, Christy. I am just like that with animals. I could never be a vet and see all the suffering and sadness. My friend at work just had to have some surgery done on her cat for some kidney problems. She has NO money, so they let her make payments. I might be sneaking a payment to the vet one of these days to help her out.
    Anyway, I think I would just let the kitty be as she is. Sometimes when they start doing surgeries, it does spread and things get worse. Besides, it might not even be cancer. Our old cat has some lumps and I am just leaving him alone. He is happy and healthy and i am not messing with him.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2007

I understand your hurt, teacherkasey. My dog, Sparky, is 11 this year. He was just treated for pneumonia. Yesterday the vet said his chest and lungs are clear, but he still has labored breathing. They are looking into other causes, like cancer. For your cat, I say do all you can, and if money runs short-like ours is- ask about a payment arrangement, like I plan to.

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2007

I don't know what I would do. I've always been the type that I don't think you should spend a lot of money on animals. However, one of my cats got sick this weekend and I took it to an emergency vet. They told me it would cost $855 just to run the tests. We then asked how much it cost to put him down, because we don't have that type of money to spend on a pet. They ended up giving us some antibiotics and he's back to normal, for now at least. But then, my other cat got sick yesterday. I took him to an emergency vet also, but I'm not sure if he's going to make it. I hated leaving him at home today-I'm so worried that I'll go home and he'll be gone. And he's my favorite cat. I've already paid $225 for both of them. I never thought I'd get so attached to these cats.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 17, 2007

It's impossible to give an "objective" opinion when it comes to our animals! I have a 12+ year old dog who is blind, deaf, with skin problems. He is starting to poo on the carpet. I take him to the vet monthly for cortisone shots. I know what I should do logically; however, I don't thinks logically when it comes to him!!! My best friend's 21 year old cat was not doing well near the end of her life. The last time she took her to the vet, she handed her the credit card and said "do whatever it takes". We just returned from a field trip to the local vet. There was a pet chicken there with a broken leg!! One of my kids asked do they eat that chicken!!!! Pets have a special place in a lot of our hearts.

I sympathize with you. You have to decide what you can afford and what you consider quality of life. If it were me, I would be foolish and pay more than I could afford.

I don't envy you. I know I'll be walking in your shoes soon!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

I feel your pain. My dog (my baby until lil ones came along) had cancer. We thought it was a rawhide & they were about to do surgery but found she was full of cancer. The doc said this dog must be so loved & she must you guys to live as long as she did with cancer. We had them put her down. She was sick before the surgery not eating, using the bathroom & just laying around. They asked if cancer was what it was if we wanted to put her down, we said yes...she at least deserved to go out peacefully!!! UGH...what a tough spot!!! Prayers for you!!!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2007

Please let us know what you decide. I know that its a hard decision to make.

13. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 17, 2007

Well, Bill and I talked and decided that we need to call the vet to ask a couple of more questions before we make a final decision. When I heard the word cancer my mind just shut down and I started crying. So with my mind a little more clear and with Bill's imput, we came up with questions to ask.

This is as hard for him as it is for me b/c she has grown so attached to him over the last couple of years. She has never responded to anyone like she has with Bill... except for me obviously ;) b/c I am her "Mommy" and have had her since the day she was born. She has become sooooo much more vocal, she greets us at the door, rolls over to have her belly scratched like a puppy...lol:p.

Thirteen years is a long time and we have been through a whole lot together. Some people think I am crazy but there will be a hole in my heart when I don't have her with me each and every day:blush:.
    I wish I knew how to post pictures. I want to share the beauty of my Holly...lol:hugs:.

Thank you for all the words of advice and thoughts. They mean a lot:hugs:.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  14. smalltowngal

Oct 17, 2007

I don't think you're crazy at all. When you get an animal and have them for that amount of time, you begin to think of them as part of the family....and when they aren't there every day it's difficult. I hope that the vet can give you the answers you need.

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2007

I'm so sorry about your cat. Hug your cat and enjoy the moments that you have left with her.

16. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Oct 17, 2007

I totally know how you feel....I just lost my cat a few weeks ago, and it was extremely hard. I pray that your kitty does not have an invasive cancer...it's hopeful that she can maybe live for a while without too much pain or discomfort. You never know, miracles can happen!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 19, 2007

I've added a picture of Holly to Kasey's post. Be sure you scroll up and see her. She is beautiful!!

18. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 20, 2007

Christy~ Thank you again for helping me share the picture of my baby:hugs:!!!

19. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 20, 2007

What a cute Kitty!

20. smalltowngal

Oct 20, 2007

She's beautiful!