My cat had surgery today and she won't rest!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

She is scaring me half to death. My cat has always been a climber, but tonight she is insane. We got home at about 6:00 from having her spayed, and she hasn't stopped moving around and climbing for a second ever since. She's still wobbly from the painkillers too, so every time she jumps up on something she either misses or falls right back off. I'm so scared she's going to pop a stitch! Why won't she just relax?? :dizzy:

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 12, 2009

My dog was like that after he was neutered. He wanted to start playing before we even left the vet's office. When we got home he wanted to jump on everything. He was fine and didn't pop any stitches. Your cat is probably just happy to be home :)

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

My cat had a broken leg, put it into a cast. I was not to let her outside, but she was an outdoor cat, and would not use a litter box. I did take her ouside to potty, and her cast made her turn somersaults when she got in the potty position. I finally had to take her back to the vet, as she would not go potty.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

My cat will gladly nap for your cat. That's practically all he does. lol

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2009

We had to put our cat in a cage for several days after she injured her hip so she wouldn't jump. She didn't like it and she just didn't seem to understand when we told her it was for her own good!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I had to put dirt in a litter box for my outside kitty when he was recovering from surgery. Hopefully your outside kitty won't need any more surgery, but if she does, maybe that would work for her too.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 12, 2009

Great...

Now she's tearing at her stitches. This is awful!

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

Ask the vet for a mild tranquilizer so she doesn't hurt herself. I'm sure they'll give you something to keep her calm for a few days.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

You need to watch her closely and keep her calm and comforted. They should have given you some pain killers/tranquilizars for home...? Our vet had us keep our cat mildly sedated during the first few days so she would be forced to just lay there and rest. When my cat was spayed, we also were told to keep her in a smaller space with no distractions. We took turns baby sitting her in a small bedroom that had no extra things for her to get into. She had a bed, a litter box, her food, and we had a sofa, a tv (on low) and a table. We were told NOT to give her free run of the house because it would be too stressful and dangerous for her. She should not be touching her stitches. Call the vet tomorrow. Maybe they itch. Did they give you a cream to put on her? Her recovery depends on how well she does during this first week home. My cat took a week to recover and we had to tend to her round the clock. I hope your kitty feels better but call te vet tomorrow for some meds. It's really cruel to expect her to recover on her own with no medical help.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 13, 2009

Poor little thing! I hope the discomfort ends soon!

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 13, 2009

Dirt in the litter box--what a great idea. My cat did recover from her broken leg. She was always getting into trouble.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2009

Call the vet- they can give you a cone collar to keep your cat from picking at the stitches. Confine her to a small room (maybe the bathroom?) so she has less roaming room and less to jump on.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2009

When they sent BabyCat home with me, she was so doped up she slept for 10 hours straight. I'm kind of surprised your vet didn't give her a mild tranquilizer to help her stay calm. I'd call 1st thing and let them know you need something to calm her - or like czacza said, a cone collar.

But after that - she was jumping on the bed as usual. But mine was :lol: glued back together, no stitches. She could lick at it as much as wanted. And she wanted.

15. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I have four cats. They sleep 20 hours a day. Unfortunately the 4 hours that are their play time falls between 2 am and 6 am. :eek: