my car vandalized :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Linguist92021, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

I really can't believe this. I've moved here from San Diego 18 months ago. During this time I have been a victim of a crime 4 times!! During the other 39.5 years of my life that happened ONCE!! And I had lived in some crappy areas.

This morning as I was going to work I saw that someone broke my back window in my car, and then took everything they could. I didn't have a whole of things of value, but a lot of small stuff adds up, and the frustration of things stolen that has emotional value is too much for me.
    Especially because my house was broken into in May 2013 (2 months after I moved here), 2 weeks later someone tried to steal my car. It was damaged so badly, that it cost me $700 to fix it, only to find out that there is another damage, that costs $1000 to fix. I can drive it, (and have been for over a year) but it won't pass smog.
    Then in September my 2 tires were slashed.
    I moved to this new house, it's been a year, it's supposed to be a good area, and here we go.

So frustrated.

I called in to school that I won't make it, my P is at a training, so someone is filling in her for her. He's a nice man, but rough around the edges, and the first thing he asked was "You're not coming in AT ALL??" way to make me feel better. That just stressed me out even more.
    Then later he said don't worry about lesson plans, or anything, just take of my needs.

Oh, and my classroom key (that opens the office and a lot of other rooms) and all keys to my filing cabinets, desk, etc, was in my car and was stolen!!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2014

I'm sorry that this happened to you. Do you think that it's possible that you are being targeted? Have you notified school that your school keys were stolen?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

Oh, hugs, Linguist: this is awful! I hope you told the school that that key was stolen so those locks can be rekeyed at once.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

Yes, I told the school early this morning, as soon as I realized. It's so hard to remember what you have in your car, it took me an hour to actually come up with things.
    They said they will notify HR (procedure) and they will have to rekey everything. My classroom key is kind of a master key, it doesn't open everything, but does open a lot of doors, including the back door of the office.

I thought that maybe I'm targeted this time. Some of the kids do know where I live, and of course some of them are probably not happy with me (let's face it, they have issues and at times I do have to give them a consequence they don't like). But the cops said that it might just be random, this is a supposed to be a good area, but there have been 2 of these a day.
    Since last night, there was another car break in like this, a few blocks over.
    So who knows?

I do have a garage, and sometimes I park in there, but I don't have a garage opener, so it's a hassle to get in and out. And because I'm always running last minute, I often park outside :)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

More hugs, and more.

Forgive me for mother-henning at you, but it sounds like you may need to start using that garage anyway. Is the door the old-fashioned one-piece door, or is it a sectional door? If the latter, it might be fairly straightforward for you to install a garage-door opener yourself. If the former, installation is trickier but it might still be a very, very good idea; it would be a selling point for your landlord in the future, too.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

We had a garage once that didn't have an opener, and thought it would be so expensive and difficult to install an opener. Turns out, it was not. You can get them for less than $200 (a little noisier and a little slower, but they do the job), and installation can be done yourself if you're handy. A handyman could probably do it in an hour.

It's worth it-get the opener, and use the garage.

:hugs:

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

I know, I should have been using it all the time. I did first, when I moved here, but then I got more comfortable.
    It's a regular, modern garage door, it does have the opener, but has to be done from the inside. Which means going back and forth to get out, close it, go back outside, etc. I've been looking for a remote control, but it's so expensive, and at times I saw them for $25, but was never able to get them.
    So partially it's my fault, but at the same time, I should be able to park my car in front of my house :(
    Everyone else does it, and I've been doing it for a year.

I'm definitely getting on it though!!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2014

Linguist, oh man, so sorry again! :( Trouble seems to find certain people for some reason.

This reminds me, my mom told me not so long ago, to take pictures of every room of my house, especially of the expensive items, such as electronic equipment, etc. because if I'm ever broken into, that's proof showing what I had. I need to still do that & I should with my car too, but I don't keep anything valuable in my car.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

My students always say "I don't look for trouble, trouble always finds me". I always thought it was just a catchy phrase, and an excuse at the same time.
    Well, lately, it's been true for me.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

Ugh, what a nightmare! You must feel so unsettled. Definitely follow up with the police and the school. Really glad you reported the key thing to both of them.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

On top of all this, today is the last day of the quarter and grades are due.
    I have everything caught up to date, basically ready to go, except for my 3 English classes. I was going to grade the summaries they have been writing for 6 weeks, and was going to give them a lot of points. A lot of them have completed them, a few not always, and a few didn't.
    This is bugging me. Their grades without this is pretty representative of the work they had done, but this could bring up some of their grades.
    Maybe I will go in after school for an hour. Right now I'm still waiting for the insurance company to call me to tell me where to take my car for repairs and to rent a car.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 10, 2014

More hugs, Linguist.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 10, 2014

I am so sorry to hear this Linguist. I got my daughter an extra garage door opener for less than $30 last year. Maybe look at Lowe's or Home Depot if you haven't already.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

Thank you, I will.

By the way if anyone has Progressive for auto insurance, please don't ever file a claim online. Most companies encourage you to do things online and it's usually faster and easier.
    Not with them. After I filed it (which only took 5 minutes) I kept waiting and waiting fro a call, online it showed it was processed, but no call.
    finally I called them to set up a repair shop and a call rental, they said it takes 24 hours to return a call if I file a claim online, and why didn't I just call them?? (nowhere did it say any of this online) they took care of everything on the phone, but this was frustrating. She had to look at everything. ?? Annoyed.

16. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Oct 10, 2014

Ohhh I am so sorry :( Hugs to you.

That really stinks. Its a violation and emotionally does take its toll i'm sure. Thank God you are ok though..that's the most important thing.

Take care, try and do something nice for yourself this weekend.
    God Bless!

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

Thank you.
    It really got to me when I noticed that a rhinestone cross (pretty big) is gone, my daughter gave it to me a few years ago for Christmas. And a teeny tiny cross made by a previous student in juvenile hall last year; he made it out of the string of his shoe, in secret, during my last week, so I can remember him when I move.
    I'm not religious, but these had great emotional value to me :(((

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 10, 2014

I didn't post anything on here--but yesterday, my backyard furniture and decorative items were stolen.

The sliding screen door that leads to my patio was also broken. Thankfully, my home is fully alarmed and all windows have security bars. Also, after hearing about a friend of mine who had her front door kicked in, I purchased a device called the "Doorricade" for my side garage door and front door.

Despite the fact that the people who came into my backyard didn't get in my house, I still feel violated!

Linguist--we live in the same area of CA!

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 10, 2014

Someone in my apt complex got their door kicked in in broad daylight...probably on the 1st floor whereas I'm on the 2nd floor, but of course things still happen.

Thanks for posting YTG about that Doorricade. I told my parents about that. I'd like to have that for my apt door too & what's good it that the drilled holes will be on the inside. I'm thinking even installing it above the lowermost door hinge may still be just as effective if the deadlock is blocking it from being in the middle.

Now this is the same idea, but even more durable & a feature in which you can safely open the door just enough & not have anyone foist their way in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO_gIN-8-9U&feature=related

Or how about this...no drilling:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3390r-tFRIA

20. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Oct 11, 2014

oh Linguist, So sorry to hear this happened. How bizarre that they would tale the crosses. I'm not christian, but that just hits me as...is ironic the right word? May everything start to get much much better very soon. hugs.

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

I assume they were tweekers, or other drug addicts looking for anything that could be sold for money. I can tell they were in a rush, because they took my GPS but not the cord that was used to plug it in the car, the iPhone charger, but not the actual part that goes in the car.
    Kind of stupid. They left the glove compartment open, probably looked there for a gun. they just grabbed a bunch of stuff that was of no value. I haven't been using the GPS, because the sides of the screen are insensitive so I don't really care about that. They can look through all the programmed San Diego addresses and my old address here.

My car window is now fixed, it cost me $100 (my deductible). I just keep telling myself that it could've been worse, I could've left my phone in there, my purse (at times I leave it under the seat, but not lately), our hose key (my daughter sometimes leaves forgets it in there). If I had my purse in there, with my flashdrives, they would have taken 3 years worth of lesson plans - most of that is backed up on my laptop, but not all.
    So it could always be worse.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 11, 2014

The cross looked really pretty. It was about 4 inches tall, completely decorated with rhine stones, it was so pretty. :( And it was from my daughter, 3 years ago.

23. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 12, 2014

I park in my garage and would never think of leaving my purse in my car. I usually clean out my car every night -- even my work bag even if I'm not planning on doing any work. I don't have anything valuable in my car except for a couple of really old CDs that I don't listen to.

24. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 13, 2014

I'm now keyless :( It will take a while to rekey the school and until then I probably won't get an extra key to my classroom. There's a slim chance that they have an extra, but I feel so uncomfortable. I have to leave my classroom unlocked all the day, the other alternative would be to keep going to the office for the key and that just won't work. I can't even lock up my purse, because all my keys are gone.
    During lunch and breaks I have been sitting with students at a table near my room, so now I just have to make sure I watch it more.

We have a filing cabinet in which I keep all student folders. The locks can be simply pushed in to lock, and students do that all the time, but fortunately we had a spare key for that.

And on top of it now my P is in trouble, because last year she gave me the computer lab's key, which was assigned to her. Now that's gone, they know she did that and she's in trouble :(
    She didn't make a big deal out of it.