"my body" lesson ideas

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ash_sk8s, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jan 22, 2012

I need lesson ideas for "my body." I have 3 year olds. We have separate weeks on nutrition and the five senses, so I am just focusing on the body. Here's what I've got so far. Only 50% of our activities needs to be theme related, but I try to do as many as possible. You can see I still need quite a bit. There's not a lot of lesson ideas on the web that focus on the body. Creative art is the hardest for me - it's supposed to be very open-ended and not a product (so my skeleton is pushing it lol). Any ideas?

Language Arts:
    1. Read What's Inside My Body?
    3. ASL/Spanish - exercise

Cognitive Development:
    2. Create stats chart (height, weight, etc.)
    4. Shape body
    5. L/R handprints

Creative Art:
    3. Create skeleton w/ q-tips

Social Science:
    1. ASL/Spanish - body, face
    5. Dramatic play with people - discuss differences (i.e. skin color)

Computer Lab:
    1. Draw shapes to make a body in Paint
    2. Type numbers 1-9
    3. Mouse control in the Dora program

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 23, 2012

the American Heart Assocciation has some great resources.

4. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jan 23, 2012

Gracias, I'll check it out.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 24, 2012

Operation is a game that uses body parts.

6. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jan 24, 2012

Hygiene - germs, washing hands & brushing teeth

7. errrika

errrika Rookie

Jan 27, 2012

You can talk about all the systems of the body. Have a large body image and layer on top all of the systems: skeleton then heart and lungs, stomach, etc. At the very top add clothes. I like the clothes because it shows that even though you don't see these things from the outside, they are still in there working hard.

As you add each item talk about their function and how they help us. After a few days they will be able to put it together themselves.

Then you can do a similar art project. Give a body shape and ask them to put all the different body parts on. If you want it very open ended you can provide materials they can use (toothpicks, color paper, balloons (i know, not ver safe...) and have them figure out which material they can use for each body part.

8. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 27, 2012

Do a Venn Diagram of human skin vs fruit skin/peel. How are they the same and how are they different.

If you have a water table you could use clear tubing, straws, funnels, and eye droppers. The tubing and straws could simulate veins and the water could simulate the blood that ruins through them using the funnels and eye droppers. I dyed my water red using bathtub tint :)

Set up your dramatic play area as a doctor office or hospital.

There is a real cute and short video on youtube called "dancing bones". It shows a skeleton dancing and demonstrating how bones are connected. My students LOVE that video. Some of the video they can actually act out.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2012

There was a song on Sesame Street years ago...
    I've got 2 eyes, 1,2
    They're bth the same size, 1,2
    I've got 2 eyes
    And they're both the same size...then it moved on to other body parts.

10. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 28, 2012

We did a body unit and had a mock doctor's office in one of the classrooms. We had some xrays, and the kids guessed what body part it was, and some stethescopes, and we taught them to find their pulse on their wrist.

Also tracing their bodies on butcher paper.

I did do the Q-tip skeleton with 1st graders once and I cannot imagine trying to do it with 3s. But I do have an old Scholastic book about The Skeleton Inside You and it talks about the function of a skeleton, comparing it to a wooden chair (as opposed to an armchair, which would represent the skin and muscles etc. covering.) There's a part about clay-- without bones we would be like a playdough figure (can flatten or change its shape...) Maybe you could do something to explore the idea of skeletons/rigid structure-- tinker toys, popsicle sticks, toothpicks-- and no bones (playdough.)

Also using objects from the room to make a body on the floor (plate from the kitchen area as head, etc.)

11. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 28, 2012

We did a body unit and had a mock doctor's office in one of the classrooms. We had some xrays, and the kids guessed what body part it was, and some stethescopes, and we taught them to find their pulse on their wrist.

Also tracing their bodies on butcher paper.

I did do the Q-tip skeleton with 1st graders once and I cannot imagine trying to do it with 3s. But I have an old Scholastic book about The Skeleton Inside You and it talks about the function of a skeleton, comparing it to a wooden chair (as opposed to an armchair, which would represent the skin and muscles etc. covering.) There's a part about clay-- without bones we would be like a playdough figure (can flatten or change its shape...) Maybe you could do something to explore the idea of skeletons/rigid structure-- tinker toys, popsicle sticks, toothpicks-- and no bones (playdough.)

Also using objects from the room to make a body on the floor (plate from the kitchen area as head, etc.)