My "Board of Education" (inspired by challenge capsules thread) **pics**

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S Dubb, Jul 29, 2010.

1. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

So this was my guilty summer project.

I came across a great idea in this thread about a month ago and tried to come up with my own way of implementing it. After a few trips to Home Depot and with the help of a crafty friend, we put together the Board of Education.

To sum it up, each capsule has a question in it about something the kids have recently learned or will learn that month. Questions get changed at the start of every month. Colors go language arts, math, science, social studies.

When the kids have free time (like if they finish something early), they can go to the BoE. They pick any capsule they want, open it, read the question, and answer it (if they can) on an answer card which will be provided in an envelope next to the board.

If they don't know the answer, they can put it back and select another. They can keep going until it's time to go to the next activity or until they want to do something else. Each hole is lined on the inside with the soft side of velcro to help keep the capsules snug.

If they haven't learned what's in a capsule yet, it's my hope that when we cover the material for the first time that month, a student who picked it earlier might think to him/herself "Oh! That was in capsule number (whatever)!" and remember it better long-term.

At the end of the month I'll collect the answer cards for those who did them. If a student receives a B or higher on it, then I'll give them a card (via Vistaprint) that will bump a test or quiz of their choice up a full letter grade.

Here are some pics of the finished product. I can't wait to implement this! Oh, and thanks to Julie in GA for posting the idea to use capsules in some capacity in that original thread!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 29, 2010

Awesome job!! Will you make me one too :cool:

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2010

Wow! You did an amazing job! I like this idea a lot, and you implemented it in a very creative way. Where can you pick up those "capsules"?

5. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 29, 2010

very cool!!! Where did you get all of the capsules? Did you raid a toy machine?

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 29, 2010

OMG! That is wicked cool! I love it! I am going to have to do one now! lol So cool- thanks for sharing! I love your way of doing it- so creative!
    You can buy knee highs from walmart- they come in those little containers like that.

7. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Jul 29, 2010

I know drill isnt always good, but our fourth grade uses "race to the govenors house" cards on a ring to review fourth grade VA history, I made similar cards this summer for science review (they tend to forget a lot of fourth grade science and most of our fifth grade test is fourth grade... ) so I have a set of fourth and fifth grade "race" cards. I was thinking of ways to use them so they arent so "boring" so Im developing games to use them (the kind of things you may do w math flash cards) this could be a cool idea to use the cards so the kids can do things in their free time!!!

Very cool, I love the pics!

8. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

Thanks everyone! :)

For those who are interested, I got the capsules from here. Surprisingly not that expensive at all, but shipping brought it up to around $15 if I remember correctly.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2010

Oh, that is way cool. Now I want one! :)

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2010

I have planned a bulletin board for students to do task cards when they had extra time. I was stumped for a name...thanks to you, I have one now! (if you don't mind if I shamelessly steal yours!!)

12. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 29, 2010

By all means, use it! Although I must give credit to my father for coming up with it.