My Big Idea

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MsNobody, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MsNobody

MsNobody New Member

Jan 3, 2015

Hi everyone! I have worked with children with special needs for many years in different capacities. I also have ADHD and Aspergers myself, which I think gives me a different perspective and an understanding of the kids I work with.

I have been dreaming of starting my own school for neurologically diverse children. As a private school, it wouldn't have to stick so closely to regulations, and I'd be more free to use my creativity to reach children with different learning styles and help them to enjoy learning.

The idea has sort of grown, to the point where I really intend to start this school. I even made a website for it, for the sake of visualization. You can see the website by following the link in my profile. I plan to start with the preschool and tutoring programs, and eventually find a way to get licensed to teach elementary level children.

I would be interested in hearing people's opinions and thoughts on it, if you visit the website. I am prepared to accept constructive criticism, and I know that many experienced educators will think the idea is silly and idealistic. But I have talked with many parents of kids of special needs I know, and they've been very enthusiastic about the idea, so I think it may be worthwhile.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from people who might want to be a part of making this a reality (and who live in Oregon or are in a position in life where they'd enjoy moving there.)

Thanks, everyone!

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jan 14, 2015

I think it sounds cool. Have you looked into possible funding sources, such as doing contract work for districts? I am not sure it would work solely as a private school, unless you have a large population of wealthier parents with children w/special needs. Good luck! It looks like you have put a lot of thought into this.

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Jan 15, 2015

Please send me the link to the website. I'll let you know what I think. I wish I could do this. GOOD LUCK!