My asst. principal made me sick to my stomach today.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Arky, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 26, 2009

Today our asst. p. came in to watch me teach. I was doing a shared reading lesson. I am one of those types that likes for everything to be perfect so I stress a bit if it is not. It never is perfect so you would think I would have gotten use to that by now. As she is watching me she gets up and starts going behind me. I know she is looking for something so I turn my head. She quietly asks where my lesson plans are. I die inside just a bit because for the first time this year I had nothing down for math. ( Of course she comes in this week!) I had read on this site about teachers sharing plans so I decided I was going to get my co-worker's math plans and write them down in my plans. I wasn't feeling good the day I wrote my plans and it seemed like a fine idea at the time. I forgot!! She reads and reads and it seems like she is never going to leave. She writes and writes as I read and die inside a bit. She leaves the room. I breathe a sigh of relief. SHE COMES BACK! Now I realize I do not have my reading plans out!! I can't remember which book I was going to do in Guided Reading. I give the children a question to write about in their journals and I slowly walk to the reading table. I call my first group. She leaves! That scared me to death. She is new at our school and we haven't figured her out yet. Why did that bother me so much? I hate getting new principals. They do not know you and you have to prove yourself all over again. Guess I made a great impression today!

3. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

It probably isn't as bad as you think it is, I would hope she would see by your previous week's plans that you are a very capable and thorough teacher. I know how you feel though, I have a bit of a principal phobia myself! :D

I can tell by the posts you write that you are a very knowledgeable teacher, so be confident in yourself and your abilities!! :thumb: And if she does mention anything about your plans, just explain that you were already familiar with the week's plans because of the extensive collaboration efforts you made with your coworkers but in the process of it all you forgot to write it down in your book. Principals like words like collaboration. :)

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2009

:agreed: This is totally what I was gonna say.

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Feb 27, 2009

i bet it wasn't that bad either! ((hug))

6. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 27, 2009

Thanks guys! She actually left me a good note and complemented me on a warm inviting classroom. I guess I take pride in always trying to do a good job and she caught me off guard. As I said she is new to our school and she is constantly going into the classrooms. We have never had someone go in and out as much as she does. I have always thought this is what admin should do but when they do it you can't help but wonder what are they looking for. I spent hours during my breaks today and after school writing plans that matched what I was doing. Ha! I tend to change my plans during the week. I guess that is not good anymore. If I saw the book I had planned to read for shared reading but remember a better book I just found that morning I would switch. If I had a problem in math that didn't get solved the day before I would continue teaching it so my plans do not always match. I will make sure I stick to them next week!! We have 3 new principals this year so we all are on edge a bit. All three are a bit serious. No laughter, all business.

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2009

Does anyone ever actually stick to their plans anyway? :)

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2009

They are new -- so they are not ready to let their guard down yet.

Give them time.

9. apple1

apple1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2009

You wouldn't be a good teacher if you did stick to your plans. You have to make exceptions to the plan for reteaching and finding better material to use.

10. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Feb 28, 2009

Don't forget--- even with all the planning that we do, things can still get really messed up quickly and sometimes that's the best way for kids to learn. I sorta like it when a kid asks a question that isn't 100% on topic but sparks their interest--- at least then they can see how I act on my toes :)

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 1, 2009

I'm glad you survived! Reading your post made me nervous! :)

12. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 1, 2009

One thing that got to me about the math and having nothing down is that I had all the math I was going to do for the way already copied and in a stack. I had enough for two weeks as I always try to copy a lot when I go to the copy machine. I went ahead and wrote down those pages as soon as she left but I never know how many I will get to as it depends on the kids understanding of each concept. That is one reason I writing all this stuff down and then you can't follow it exactly. I never think fast on my feet when it comes to a situation like that.

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Mar 1, 2009

I was thinking the same thing. I continually make changes & do not update my plans. I teach 11 sections of 4th & 5th. So if something doesn't work I make sure I fix it. Sometimes you run across new things or the kids bring up something that would fit in. I think adjusting plans shows you are a good teacher & willing to make changes to make your lessons better! :D

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 2, 2009

I'm surprised she would interrupt your teaching to ask you where your plans are. All in all, from what you have said, I think you did great! Every teacher has a day/week where the planning doesn't go as well as we want. Maybe we were sick, maybe something unexpected came up. We know what we are doing, we just don't have it written down. Big deal. Don't worry about it!

15. blessedteacher

blessedteacher Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

I wouldnt worry about it. It seems like you had it all under control.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 3, 2009

I write my lesson plans but I rarely take my lesson plan book out of my bag.

17. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

I have to keep my LPs on my desk at all times. I use my LPs to set up for each lesson in the morning.