My annual "I've done jack squat" this summer break thread....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Coach Fallon

Coach Fallon Rookie

Jul 16, 2018

I took my kids to see the Incredible 2 a couple weeks ago. I honestly think its better than the original.

2. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 17, 2018

I’m not as bad as I’ve been in previous summers, but I’m definitely not in a school ready sleeping pattern!

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 17, 2018

I did this the first half of summer, and it was completely miserable. I don't even mind going to bed in the early morning hours and waking up in early afternoon, but I'd gotten to the point where I couldn't fall asleep until 2-3 PM, which really sucks when you have plans at 6-7 PM. I have insomnia, so it's not simply a matter of going to bed at a more appropriate time. I will just lay there for hours, which is also pretty miserable.

I basically ended up getting so flipped that I went back around to going to bed at 8-9 PM, and then last week I was visiting family and had to wake up around 9-10 AM every day because obviously they wanted to do stuff. I have less than 3 weeks left of break so hopefully not enough time to get completely messed up like that again!

As for school, it's really no big deal. Pretty much every year, I don't sleep at all before the first day. I'm not even very tired because the adrenaline of it being the first day keeps me going. When I get home, I usually fall asleep very quickly and easily around 8-9 PM, get a great night's rest, and am back to a more normal sleeping schedule by day 2.

Aces likes this.
  4. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 17, 2018

Same. I'm usually so wired the night before the first day sleep isn't even an option. Last year I stayed up until 2-3am getting ready and such. I slept for 2ish hours and was back up at 5 to go to school. I was wired throughout the day, came home, was in bed by 6.30 or so. I didn't even really visit with my husband/kids last year heh.

5. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Jul 17, 2018

This happens to me not just every summer, but every break. I've been forcing myself to at least be in bed by 3am this summer otherwise I'll get to the point where I'm not going to bed till well after the sun has come up. I enjoy the quiet of night, but this sleeping pattern makes it so hard to fall asleep at a normal time or wake up at a normal time and I feel like I waste half the daylight that I spent all winter waiting for. Every time I tell myself I have to adjust slowly back into a normal sleep schedule leading up to returning to school, but I always fail miserably at this.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 17, 2018

I’m always wide awake before the first day of school, then I crash by 6pm.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 17, 2018

Today I grabbed a frappuccino and headed to the park to do some professional reading. I wasn't sure how it would work out - worried about distractions - but it was amazing! I got so much done because I wasn't distracted at all! It was a quiet day at the park, so people-watching was minimal. And I couldn't procrastinate with things I find to do around the house. I think I need to do this every other week to stay on top of things.

MrsC and bella84 like this.
  8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 17, 2018

Do any of us sleep well the night before the first day?

I always wonder if there’s going to be a year that I’m not hyped up the night before! The adrenaline is rushing through my blood!

9. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 18, 2018

Apparently not! I'm already getting wired we got our **official** class rosters for first semester so exciting. I've got senior physics for A period, senior mechanical engineering for B period, prep for C period, and sophomore bio for D period. Which should be interesting I get to dissect frogs, yay.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. whizkid

whizkid Habitué

Jul 20, 2018

I've seen Avengers, Tag and Sorry to Bother You.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Jul 21, 2018

I got married and went on my honeymoon in June/early July, so needless to say, I have done jack squat school-related work this summer! I have three weeks left until school starts though, so I am planning on getting some work done now.