My 1st Demo Lesson!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by SportsJunkie25, Jul 3, 2009.

1. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Hi!

I've been a sub for about a year and I have to do my demo lesson for a teaching position; math and science. So, clearly, I have to do one for math and one for science. What are some things I should MAKE SURE I do during my demo lessons? (Besides what's on my lesson plan)

For instance, my friend said to make sure I take name tags and give them to the kids so I can know who I'm talking to. Is this common?

Any other thoughts? :D

Fyi - My demo lesson will be done on about 5-6 faculty members, pretending to act like students.

Thanks a bunch,
    The newbie

3. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jul 3, 2009

Oh, I would so hate having to do that!! Once I was on an interview committee and we had two different teachers come in for a practice teach. The guy that got the job called on students by name, was very organized - with clear transitions from one step to the next, and had a focused lesson in which his objective was met by the students. The guy that did not get the job was very casual, did not appear to have put any planning into his lesson, and had an objective that was not able to be met in one setting. So, my advice is to be prepared, consider all of your transitions, choose an objective that can be met, call on your "students" by name, be confident, and dress professionally.

Good luck!

4. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to it, either. It should be interesting.

On the first day of real school, I'd have the students introduce themselves and tell me a little about themselves but, during a demo, I'm not supposed to do that, right? It's just supposed to be another day in class? If that's the case, I guess I will have them put on nametags...

Thanks for the info!

5. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 3, 2009

Maybe you could plan one demo lesson that incorporates both math and science.

One suggestion: prepare a lesson on how to solve simple physics problems. How to recognize data from story problems (highlight or underline?), organize it(I use labels: Given: Unknown:, and assign variables for data), decide on an equation to use, and algebraically rearrange the equation to solve the problem.

Just a thought.

6. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

Is this for a middle school or a high school position?

7. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

High School

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

Any particular part of math? Do you know what course the opening is in?

And do they assign you a topic or do you get to pick your own?

9. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Algebra. Yeah, they gave me a lesson to teach but I was just wondering if there was something else I should do (i.e. name tags for students) besides the lesson that I'll be teaching.

The Algebra lesson is for Cube Square Root Equations

I can't think of anything "creative" to help them learn how to do this besides memorizing the steps so I guess I'll just stick with that. If you guys have any thoughts, feel free to share.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

OK, you're right, it's pretty cut and dried.

For a Do Now, have them write out the perfect squares and perfect cubes, and keep them on the side somewhere. Talk about squaring and "unsquaring".

Then solve an incredibly easy one: sqr(x) = 3. What # has a square root of 3? 9, of course!

Then talk about how we could go from the 3 to a 9 algebraically. You square the 3.

Why?? Because we don't want "sqr(x)= ", we always want "x=". and the way to "un-square-root" (Not a word, but it should be!!) a number is to square it. But we KNOW that anything we do to one side, we need to do to the next.

Let's check (Because these ALWAYS have to be checked for extaneous roots!!!) . Yep, sqr(9) = 3.

OK, let's take it up a notch, to sqr (x + 2) =6
    Square both sides: x+2 = 36, x=34.
    Check, yep it works.

Now throw a "2+" in front of the sqr and see what happens.

** Put the steps on the board, in real language, not mathese.

THEN start to talk about cube roots!

Does that help at all??

11. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

You could then end with an exit card that gives the "students" 1 or 2 practice problems as a formative assessment so that you could see where to go for future lessons. They like to see some sort of conclusion to the lesson.

12. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Yeah, that help but I have a question: Aren't I supposed to act like they've already learned that? I thought I was just supposed to start with the cube root equations? But, I guess that's a good idea b/c review is always a good thing...

Oh, ok...I'll do that. Thanks!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

To be honest, that's how I teach it with my honors class. My "do now" is review-- something they can do on their own that leads into today's lesson.

In fact, I wonder if you could find an SAT prep question that leads in... I use SAT prep questions as Do Now assignments all the time.

Wait till I put the kids to bed and I'll see what I can come up with.

I interpreted the title as both square and cube root equations. Did you mean just cube roots? Even if so, kids will NOT be able to understand cube root equations if they don't already understand square root ones. So be sure you hit at least 1 or 2 square root equations before you touch on the idea of a cube root.

And be SURE to do one with an extraneous root ( for example: 6 + sqr(x) = 4

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

I agree with Alice--my Do Now is usually a review or a test prep question.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2009

That's what they do as I take attendance and check the homework.

16. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Oh, ok...good call! :D

17. SportsJunkie25

SportsJunkie25 Rookie

Jul 5, 2009

How do I start?

Hello all!

I just thought of another question: How do I start my demo lesson? I'm sure that sounds like an obvious question but I'd feel awkard if "they" came in and I just started teaching.

Scenario: No students. Faculty members (approx 5-7) will pretend to 'act' like students, therefore, I'm sure they'll overdue everything (they plan on being discipline problems b/c they want to see how I'd react. I've be warned...) but oh well.

So, should I just have them come in, have a seat, introduce myself as "Ms. SportsJunkie" :)D) and do an ice breaker? Or, forget about the icebreaker and just treat them like they're students and just start teaching?

Thing is, if it were my 1st day on a real job (as a teacher) I wouldn't just start teaching...I'd have the students introduce themselves and learn a little about them. But, this is a demo lesson so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to act??

Thanks!

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2009

I would probably act like it is not the first day and "remind" the "students" as they enter that they are supposed to begin their daily Do Now which is written on the board. The lesson they gave you to teach is not a first day lesson so I would have a Do Now written on the board before they walk in. Give them a minute or so to get it done while you take care of "business stuff" (roll, etc.) and then begin by going over the Do Now which can be a review question leading into your lesson.