Mutli CUltural books

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by erminia31, Nov 30, 2006.

1. erminia31

erminia31 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

First of I want to thank all you great teachers for the advice I already recevied, I need some more, lol. For one of my courses I have to choose a picture book that has to do with multiculturelism, it can be about african americans, asians, indians, altnertanve parents, etc I was thinking of doing "100 dresses" does anyone have any good ideas?

3. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Nov 30, 2006

One great book on Native Americans is Jingle Dancer. It is a story of a little learning the tradition of dancing from her family. So it shows Native Americans in current day settings and how they incorporate traditions.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2006

Ada, Alma Flor. I Love Saturdays y domingos.
    A young girl enjoys the similarities and the differences between her English-speaking and Spanish-speaking grandparents.

Allen, Debbie. Brothers of the Knight.
    In this contemporary retelling of the fairy tale “Twelve Princesses,” an African American reverend in Harlem endeavors to discover why the shoes of his twelve sons are worn to pieces every morning.

Allen, Debbie. Dancing in the Wings.
    Sassy, an aspiring ballet dancer, tries out for a summer dance festival in Washington, D.C., despite the other girls’ taunts that she is much too tall.

Ancona, George. Fiesta U.S.A.
    Text and photographs describe four fiestas celebrated by Hispanics in the United States and in New Mexico: The Day of the Dead or All Souls’ Day, Las Posadas, Los Matachines, and La Fiesta de los Reyes Magos.

Cheng, Andrea. Grandfather Counts.
    When her maternal grandfather comes from China, Helen, who is biracial, develops a special bond with him despite their age and language difference.

Cooke, Trish. Full, Full, Full of Love.
    For young Jay Jay, Sunday dinner at Granny’s house is full of hugs and kisses, tasty dishes, all kinds of fishes, happy faces, and love.

Dominguez, Kelli Kyle. The Perfect Piñata=La Piñata Perfecta.
    Marissa picks out a yellow butterfly piñata for her birthday, but by the day of the party she decides it is too beautiful to break.

Elya, Susan Middleton. Home at Last.
    When she and her family move from Mexico to the United States, eight-year-old Ana helps her mother adjust to the new situation by encouraging her to learn English.

English, Karen. Speak English for us, Marisol.
    Marisol, who is bilingual, acts as a translator for her Spanish-speaking family members.

Gerber, Carole. Firefly Night.
    A young Chippewa girl follows a firefly as it reveals the secrets of the night, the many creatures that share her forest home, on her way to sleep. Inspired by Longfellow’s “Song Hiawatha”.

Grimes, Nikki. Meet Danitra Brown.
    Danitra Brown Leaves Town.
    “You oughta meet Danitra Brown, the most splendiferous girl in town!” Poems and letters tell the story of a little girl named Danitra Brown.

Hamanka, Sheila. All the Colors of the Earth.
    Reveals in verse that despite outward differences children everywhere are essentially the same and all are lovable.

Herold, Maggie Rugg. A Very Important Day.
    Two hundred and nineteen people from thirty two different countries make their way to downtown New York in a snowstorm to be sworn in as citizens of the United States of America.

Herrera, Juan Felipe. Grandma and Me at the Flea.
    Juanito accompanies his grandmother to a flea market in southern California where they enjoy seeing old friends from their Mexican-American community.

Herrera, Juan Felipe. The Upside-Down Boy.
    The author recalls his life in the third grade when his farm worker parents settled down in the city, so that he could go to school for the first time.

Howard, Elizabeth. Virgie Goes to School with Us Boys.
    In the post-Civil War South, a young African American girl is determined to prove that she can go to school just like her older brothers.

Jeffers, Susan. Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message From Chief Seattle.
    A Squamish Indian chief describes his people’s respect and love for mother earth, and their concern for its destruction.

Lewin, Ted. Big Jimmy’s Kum Kau Chinese Take Out.
    The sights, sounds, and smells of a busy Chinese take-out restaurant are seen through the owner’s young son.

Maestro, Betsy. Coming to America The Story of Immigration.
    Text and simple illustrations tell the evolving history of immigration to the United States.

Mak, Kam. My Chinatown.
    A boy adjusts to city life away from his home in Hong Kong, in the Chinatown of his new American city.

Park, Frances. Goodbye, 382 Shin Dang Dong.
    Jangmi does not want to leave her home in Korea and move to Brighton, Massachusetts, U.S.A., but soon her belongings arrive, her friendly neighbors bring her family food, and she makes a new friend named Mary.

Raczek, Linda Theresa. Rainy’s Powwow.
    A Native American girl attends the traditional powwow where she is expected to choose for herself a specific form of dance and receive a special name.

Sis, Peter. Madlenka.
    Madlenka’s Dog.
    Madlenka, an imaginative young girl, travels throughout her New York City neighborhood greeting her many neighbors including the French baker, the Indian news vendor, the Italian ice-cream man, the South American grocer, and the Chinese shopkeeper.

Smith, Cynthia Leitich. Jingle Dancer.
    Jenna, a member of the Muscogee, or Creek, Nation, borrows jingles from the dresses of several friends and relatives, so that she can perform the jingle dance at the powwow.

Wong, Janet S. Apple Pie 4th of July.
    A Chinese American child fears that the Chinese food her parents are preparing to sell on the Fourth of July will not be eaten.

5. erminia31

erminia31 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006

thank you so much