Mute English

Discussion in 'General Education' started by luigiorama, Jun 10, 2010.

1. luigiorama

luigiorama New Member

Jun 10, 2010

Hi,there, I´m holdng an investigation about MUTE ENGLISH, that is the ability to read and understand a language but without being able to speak it. I´ve found information about this phenomen just in China and Japan, but I´d like to knoe if anybody can tell me somthing else about this topic. PLEASE HELP Meee!!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2010

I have had two completely deaf students. Both were born deaf. One talked some. The other did not. Both received special education services in reading and writing.

Other than that, I dont' know what else to tell you.

4. luigiorama

luigiorama New Member

Jun 11, 2010

No, the type of student, I´m talking about, is the one who is physically perfect, they can hear, talk (in L1), and see, but in L2, they can read, and listen and understand, but they can´t speak the L2.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2010

That's not an uncommon phenomenon.

I have many friends who are Hispanic, but whose parents chose not to teach them the language or to speak to them in Spanish. The parents did, however, speak to each other in Spanish in front of the kids on a regular basis.

As a result, many of my friends can understand spoken Spanish, but they cannot speak the language.

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

I would almost wonder if it was a psychological block. I've some some research back in school on mutism, but I don't remember anything about this.

7. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jun 11, 2010

8. luigiorama

luigiorama New Member

Jun 14, 2010

Hey ms. I can´t download that document, can yousent it to my e-mail, please; luigiorama@gmail.com
    ThankS!!!

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2010

My grandma used to speak her native language in front of me. I understood about 25% of what she was saying, enough to get the jist of it, but nobody evver taugth me the language. I cannot speak it to save my life.

10. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 15, 2010

I work with deaf students who are fluent in ASL. They are learning to read and write English, but cannot hear and speak it. There are many deaf people who are like this, so you may be able to find what you are looking for in the deaf education literature. This may or may not be similar to what you are looking for, but I do have one student who can hear English spoken to her, but she has difficulty expressing in both English and ASL. I've adapted many activities for her, for example, instead of signing, she points to a picture or word. She rearranges letters of the alphabet to form words, and so on.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2010

It's a little unusual to be able to post to a forum like this and receive a document by email but not download it from the Internet.