Must see's/to do's in London?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

My husband is going there for work soon and won't have a lot of time to sightsee since it's a work related trip. I haven't been there since I was a kid so if anyone has been there recently, what were some of the things you recommend? Maybe list just a few and if something stands out, I'll let him know! :)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 13, 2012

Ride the Eye! The view is spectacular!

I really enjoyed the Globe and was very bummed that we couldn't get into Westminster on our very short trip, but that might just be because I am an English teacher.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

Definitely ride The Eye!! If you want to hit Westminster, be there before 3:30 since that is when they close the sighseeing tours. We got there too late and were bummed. The Tower is amazing, especially if you know some of the history behind it. Try to eat at the Prince Albert one night if you can, great food! If you can get out to see Windsor, that's great too, Buckingham Palace is good, but it was very crowded when we were there. Oh I can't wait to go back!!!!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

Get (free) tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London!!! It's tne nightly closing ceremony at the Tower, when the Queen's keys are passed from the day shift (Yeoman Warder I think???) to the night shift. It's complete with ghost stories and the tale of the one time during the Blitz that the ceremony was late. It's absolutely fabulous. The tickets are easy to find online.

If you don't want to see the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace, see the Changing of the Horse Guard... sorry, I forget where. Churchill's Cabinet War rooms were incredibly interesting-- they're the underground bunker he used when it wasn't safe to be above ground. Likewise, the Imperial War Museum was incredible if you're a history geek the way we are.

6. smalltowngal

Jun 13, 2012

Alice~is Changing of the Horse on Downing Street?

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

THat sounds right, stg. But it's been a long time. I'm sure that a little time on google would find it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 14, 2012

Never been, but have fun!

9. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

London has always been on the top of my travel wish list... One day I will get there... Have fun!

10. smalltowngal

Jun 14, 2012

We didn't see the actual Changing of the Horse, but our tour guide mentioned it when we passed the place. I know we were near Downing Street at the time.

I cannot wait to go back!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 14, 2012

Second... or is it third, the Globe and the Tower of London.

I am a history buff though, so I might be biased. There is also the British Museum which is AMAZING. It is what you've always imagined a museum to look like.

Definitely hit up some Cornish Pasty shops and really nice pubs as well. I spent most of my time in Canterbury rather than London though so I didn't spend too much time in the food venues in London.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

Thank you for your recommendations! I'm not going on the trip since it's his business trip but he is excited about the advice on here so far esp the Churchhill war rooms, etc...he loves history. This will be his first trip to Europe!

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 15, 2012

Any certain bus tours?