Must-See Places in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2012

Sure, travelling out of the country is great & all, but for those who can't always do that every year, what spectacular places WITHIN the U.S. are there? I'm sure there's some magnificent things in every state so let's hear it!

I'd go to every state again that I've ever been to:

Hawaii
    New York
    Georgia
    Florida
    Arizona
    Utah
    Nevada
    Alaska
    Texas (just had a layover there, so didn't get to see anything)

I already live in California.

I especially want to go to:

Washington D.C. - Smithsonian
    New Orleans
    Chicago
    Boston - just seeems interesting
    Philadelphia
    Minnesota - Mall of America! :D

I want to go out of town for Christmas break & I was thinking San Fransisco, but maybe I'll try somewhere new!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

I really enjoyed Philadelphia!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

Ha! I've never been out of the country. I've taken at least one vacation a year my entire life, and they've all been within the continental US. I would list some of my favorites, but I've got a party to attend! I'll come back later.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 8, 2012

I think it really depends on what you want to do.

Colorado: the Rocky Mountains, skiing, Vail, Denver, Estes Park
    Michigan: Traverse City has a Cherry Festival every year. End of June-first of July. Detroit: The Henry Ford Musuem, Greenfield Village, Ford Rouge Factory Tour, when the factory is running you can watch them actually making Ford F-150's. The Upper Penisula has many wonderful attractions ranging from State/National Parks, waterfalls, Sault Ste Marie, the locks between Great Lakes.

Then there are all of the Great Lakes. Can be enjoyed from many vantage points.

Louisville, Kentucky has the Louisville Slugger Factory that you can tour. It's an actual working factory, making baseball bats. My daughter, who isn't into sports did enjoy seeing the factory. She didn't think she would.

Illinois, the home of Abraham Lincoln

Gettysburgh

New York City: take in Broadway on a Wednesday

Yellowstone National Park

St. Louis & the Arch. Go north to a little town called Hardin, it's on the Illinois River. Awesome restaraunt called The Riverdock.

Dallas, do the still give tours of the ranch that they used in filming Dallas? Lots to do in Austin.

Kansas City, I remember going to Crowne Plaza as a child, that's about all I remember.

Those are some of the places I've been to or want to go to. It really depends on what you want to do, time of year, indoor/outdoor. Shopping, historical.

6. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 8, 2012

I love Washington D.C., but that could also be because I'm a history teacher! People at work always make fun of me because I have gone there for summer workshops for the past 3-4 years. (I didn't go to one this year and missed it! I was just there for the NCSS conference this past November, though!)

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2012

Oh gosh I have traveled so little in the USA.:( My friend's mom had a goal of going to all 50 states before she turned 50. I think that'll be my goal too! Driving through states don't count!;)

I have been to:
    FL, GA, SC, NC, LA, WV, Washington DC, MD, VA, PA, NY, OH, CA, NM, CO, UT, MN, and HI. Obviously I'm an east-coast girl.;)

I'd love to go to Alaska. I definitely want to see more of the west coast. When my novio and I move back to the USA we plan on taking a 3 month road trip though the USA while waiting for his greencard to come in. We want to see lots of the west!

The thing that's so awesome about the USA is there is SO MUCH to do and see. Anything that fits your fancy you can find a place to go. I don't think anyone could see all of it in a lifetime. But, here's to trying to discover our wonderful, majestic country!:cool:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2012

Oh yeah, I'd love an Alaskan cruise. I've only heard good things about it.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

I have traveled to (final destination): Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and I live in North Carolina.
    I have traveled through (ate, stopped for gas, shopped in some cases, etc...): Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana, Alabama, and Georgia.

I have never been west of the Mississippi, nor have I been to New England.

I will be going to San Antonio in April for the NSTA conference. I'm excited :woot:

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

The places I'd like to visit most are (being general) Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming. I also need to visit Jamestown. The one place I'll never visit (I know...never say never but I feel strongly about this) is Vegas.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

To expand upon my traveled to places:

Michigan- Everyone should visit Mackinac Island.
    People think Detroit is Michigan, and that is not the case. Detroit is actually a beautiful city (downtown) and has a ton of things to do (Detroit Zoo, Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, Motown [Histsville USA], sports, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit Science Center, Woodward Avenue's Dream Cruise, Belle Isle, plus all the pockets of nationalities [Greektown, Mexican Town, Pole Town, etc...], etc...)
    All of the shorelines are gorgeous, no matter where you go.
    Michigan's Adventure (amusement park) has an awesome water park.
    The U.P. is breathtakingly beautiful.
    There are as many things to do in the winter as the summer.

Ohio: Cedar Point.
    I like Cincinnati. They also have Kings Island.
    There is the Football Hall of Fame in Canton.
    I wish they still had Sea World and Geauga Lake. Before Six Flags and Cedar Fair.
    There is a really big basket. I got lost and drove past it once.
    Ohio is not my favorite state. I am a Michigander :p

Illinois: Chicago!! I can't even begin to list all of the fabulous things about Chicago! Other than that, I have only really been to the Danville/Champaign area. At Thanksgiving, so it was cold and dreary.

Wisconsin: My dad's side is from the UP of Michigan, near Wisconsin. I used to go frequently when I was little, but we haven't been since I was 8. I don't remember much. I'd like to go to Wisconsin Dells.

Mississippi: My dad lived there for a few years. We would take trips to Gulfport and/or Biloxi before Katrina. I loved it! It is so pretty and it is not super crowded. Unfortunately, I was 12 and at the mercy of my dad, so I didn't see much else.

Tennessee: I've been to Memphis several times and done the whole Graceland thing and stuff. I'd like to go to Nashville and Pigeon Forge.

Florida: I've been everywhere but Daytona! I'm a big race fan, so I am dying to go in February! Oh, I haven't been to the Keys, either. I think everyone is familiar with Florida. I was not impressed with Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.

South Carolina: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Charleston! Myrtle Beach is fun, too. I'm going next month! I've only been to the coast of SC.

Kentucky: I've been to the Louisville area as a kid. I don't remember much. We went to Kentucky Kingdom. I have stayed in Florence twice while visiting Cincinnati.

North Carolina: I am embarrassed to say that I have seen very little. I live in the midst of NASCAR country. I know where several drivers live. I have been to Charlotte Motor Speedway many, many times. I have casually bumped into NASCAR drivers while they were out and about on off days or the off season. I have been to Carowinds (amusement park). I have not seen Charlotte outside of shopping. It is a gorgeous city, and I really want to explore it. I want to go to the mountains and Biltmore House. I really want to go to the Outer Banks. I will be visiting Raleigh, but it will be on a school fieldtrip, so I really won't get to see it.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

I'm not sure if they still do tours, but I think you can still go to SouthFork and look around. With the new series, I'm sure there is a renewed interest.

I loved Washington DC. I would love to go to Virginia, Washington state, Maine, and Boston.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2012

Fun post, Ms. I!

Last year I was fortunate to go on a 16 day camping trip by taking this geology class at a college. We started in California and drove up to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and then back into California. It was such a fun trip.

Anyways, my favorite state was Montana. What a GORGEOUS state! I was so enthralled with the beautiful sky, mountains, and plains. We went to Glacier National Park. SO BEAUTIFUL! I want to go back there.

I have also been to Arizona (Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest), and to Hawaii (Oahu).

15. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Sep 8, 2012

I have always wanted to travel to all 50 states. I think right now I've hit about 14. Clearly, I've still got a lot of ground to cover! Most of my travel has been in the US. Outside of the US, I've only been to Mexico and Canada. I did hit one of my big wishes this summer when I traveled to Hawaii for the first time. We spent a week on Maui, and it was AMAZING!

16. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 8, 2012

I live in New Orleans and I love it! It's just really hot right now. If anyone wants tips on what to do, let me know! :)

My favorite area of the U.S. is the Pacific Coast. I would anywhere on the Pacific coast in a second. I went to wedding in Orange County, CA this past weekend and I loved the beach! Also, drove up and down the 1 by San Francisco and loved that too.

I would like to go to Oregon and Maine. I have been to every state on the East/Gulf Coast. I have never been Chicago, and I am just "meh" on visiting it.

I know people go on and on about NYC, but it's just too crowded for me and find you have fight to live there. I do love the museums and Central Park.

17. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 9, 2012

I have not traveled very much, but I have visited many places around the Ohio area. Since I lived overseas for 3 years, going out of country (except to Canada) is not a big draw for me. I really want to see OUR country. I would prefer to drive to see all the small towns. I LOVE small towns, especially ones with a town square.
    Some places I'd like to see are:
    Montana and Colorado (probably hunting lodges)
    Napa Valley
    The Grand Canyon
    Alaska
    The Outer Banks
    Maine/New England in the fall!
    Washington D.C.
    Disney World (my husband has never been, and I went when all that was there was the Magic Kingdom!)
    Nashville (I'm a huge country music fan)
    Chicago/New York City-but only if someone was showing me around-I am not a big city person!

18. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 9, 2012

I have never been west of the Mississippi. I actually haven't left Wisconsin in 5 years (other than trips to the UP and Chicago to visit friends and family). I do enjoy traveling, but I have too much credit card debt to justify it right now. Traveling is expensive, even if you spend wisely!

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2012

I would try somewhere new for your Christmas break!
    I loved the Smithsonian in DC. I would also love to visit Boston (I did visit Salem one time but we didn't have an extra few days for Boston). I would also love to visit Philadephia since that is where some of my relatives were from.

Even though I live in NY I have never been to Niagra Falls. That is on my list of vacations to take next. There are also many other places in NY that are beautiful and interesting. People forget that NY is a HUGE state not just ONE CITY. If you are coming to New York and have time to travel upstate a bit you can see some great sights!

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

TeacherNY, while I absolutely hated the city, Cooperstown in New York is just as lovely a town as they come.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 9, 2012

I have never been to Cooperstown but many of the towns that I live near are similar.
    Upstate NY in the fall is the best time of year! There is a local Fall boat tour that goes up the river and you can see leaves in the most divine colors.

22. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 9, 2012

I certainly haven't been to as many places as I would like but I loved the Smoky Mountains - beautiful.

23. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 9, 2012

I've traveled to a lot of places. I love Cali and the beaches, redwood forrest, San Francisco, Disneyland, Universal, Seaworld. Utah, for Arches, Zions, Moab, Park City, Vegas, Hoover Dam, The strip, Wyoming, Jackson Hole....on and on. But one place I absolutely loved was South Dakota and the Badlands. I enjoyed Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills etc...but the badlands were unbelievable. I spent hours there.

24. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

I really enjoyed DC and Boston, but I'm a big history nerd! I couldn't spend more than a few days there, though--I'm definitely not a city person.
    I got the opportunity to travel every year with my college wind ensemble. We visited Seattle and Portland, Texas (San Antonio, Austin, Houston, and Dallas), and Hawaii. We also did a tour of many of our member's hometowns in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. That one was not as exciting... ;)

I've also been to California (San Francisco and Yosemite), Wyoming/the Dakotas, Hawaii, and Florida. My grandma lives in the north woods of Wisconsin, so I don't consider that "going on vacation"--but I love spending time up there!

I want to go to Philadelphia and Maine some day. I also need to get down to the Smoky Mountains--I live close enough to them now that it's an easy weekend trip. One of my goals is to see all the national parks. :)

(JustMe, I also have 0 interest in Vegas...)

25. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 9, 2012

Also, Little Rock is pretty neat to. I love the Clinton library. I love Lafayette, La just for the food! I like the South ( a lot of history)and love the coast.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2012

I think I live in a pretty interesting area. I am right in the middle of Gettysburg, Hershey, and Lancaster Co. (Amish country). There is so much to do and see here.

I love San Francisco. And Boston. And Disney World.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2012

Here are some of my favorite places:

• Smithsonian museums in Washington, DC
    • Mammoth Cave in Kentucky
    • Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, KY
    • driving the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina
    • the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee
    • Atlanta--although I hate driving there
    • Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC
    • Cincinnati Zoo
    • Keeneland in Lexington, KY (also the Kentucky Horse Park)
    • gulf-side of Florida
    • Lake of the Ozarks

My ex-husband has visited Mexico, Canada, and every US state except Hawaii and Alaska.

I live in Kentucky. I've been to maybe 20 states. I've never been out west or to the New England states. I've been across the Mississippi River once. Some of my friends and I have tossed around the idea of a bus tour to New England.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 13, 2012

Sounds great guys!

29. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2012

I've been to 42 states, but many of the amazing sites listed here I've never seen! I'll add my "amen" to the people who said Cooperstown, NY, and Crown Center in Kansas City. Add to that my favorite place in the world--the Country Club Plaza in KC. Also--Pike's Peak, the Painted Desert, the Great Smoky Mountains in TN, and 2 places I've never been but hope to--Mount Rushmore, and Alaska! Let us know where you wind up going! Happy travels!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2012

This time, just to get away for a few days that doesn't cost a lot, I'm still thinking San Fransisco (which I've been to before). I'm thinking of leaving the day or 2 after Christmas.

But I'm enjoying reading about all the great places everyone's listed.