must haves for 3rd grade

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by tb71, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 18, 2012

Hello all. I'm moving from 6th grade math to 3rd grade self-contained and although I'm really excited about the change I'm starting to get a little anxious. What are some things I must have? And do?
    Thanks!

3. Miss Bradley

Miss Bradley Companion

Jul 18, 2012

I am wondering the same thing. I'm moving from 6th grade Language Arts to 3rd grade self-contained. Any information would be very helpful!! :)

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2012

I will be starting my second year in third grade. I moved from first to third so it was a big shock to see how independent and capable they were. I've worked in sixth (para/interpreter) and although it's been years I think that third grades are like sixth graders in their independence and pretty much their maturity ( lol) but the biggest difference is that third graders love you! They are still sweet and innocent and for the most part really love school.
    They have the reading and math thing under control or so they think, now they get to expand and improve! They love feeling like big kids..learning cursive, using notebooks and binders, learning more science content.

Next year for sure I'm going to focus on organization- putting papers inside of folders and not just shoved in the desk!:p

5. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Jul 18, 2012

I agree. It is my second.year in third grade and last year organization was a big thing.I am hoping this year runs more smoothly though. I had a middle of the year maternity leave.

6. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

:whistle: my 6th graders definitely were not sweet and innocent LOL!

This is what I know for sure I need...daily 5 stuff, word wall, class library. On the organization...this is not my strong point, so any suggestions on this too would be appreciated :)

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

This might sound stupid but I'm new to it too!

What words do you put on your Word Wall? Our 1st and 2nd grade class uses one with the basic words. What do you put on yours? Spelling words? Vocab words?

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I put up vocab words from our vocabulary book, math, science and SS words.

9. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

I felt the same way and asked around, just as another posted said you can use a variety math vocab., spelling etc. I'm thinking of using a different background color for the different subjects. Not sure yet...I always start off with good intentions but some how run out of time.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I like the different color idea! I just hope I make enough "color" paper to place on the wall for each vocab area. Hmmm, something to think about!

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2012

I like to have content area word charts as opposed to one big wall. I find the kids tend to use them more frequently. You'll love 3rd.

12. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Aug 9, 2012

Welcome to the best grade level!!! :)

You are going to LOVE third grade! I don't know if there is anything specific you will need but here are some ideas... make sure you have a very balanced classroom library with a wide range of reading levels (I know every grade level has this but be prepared to have extremely low and extremely high), a cursive chart (if your district teaches cursive in 3rd grade), look into state testing (many states begin state testing in 3rd grade - you will want to know what they look like, when they will be, how to best prepare your students - in my state 3rd grade is the first time they ever see the state test and so it takes some planning and time to go over what it actually looks like), and I LOVE Time for Kids, I am sure Scholastic News is good too - many of my students don't know how to read nonfiction texts, Time for Kids is a great resource for helping with this!

And if you haven't... visit Beth Newingham's third grade website! She is amazing!