'must have books' for library

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by toystory365, Nov 14, 2006.

1. toystory365

toystory365 New Member

Nov 14, 2006

I'm not a teacher but have enjoyed this site for ideas to reinforce what my son is learning at school (he just started JK). I was hoping to get some feedback on what books that are used in the classroom for teaching various themes. Our library now consists of Golden books, Arthur, Franklin etc but would love to add more theme/educational books as well. In fact, my plan is to print off the lesson plans to do some extra work at home. My son is going to be a big brother soon, so I'm looking for activities to keep him busy! There are so many helpful websites with tons of lesson plans, I'm hoping you can help me narrow it down to the 'must haves' so I don't break the bank building up the library:)

So far books that I have seen many lesson plans for are:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - we already have this
    Brown Bear, Brown Bear - have this one too
    The Mitten
    Polar Express

The themes in our JK cirriculum are:

All about me
    Apples & Pumpkins (science:seasons, natural surroundings)
    Our Body
    Holiday Symbols (science: magnets)
    Winter (science: weather)
    Groundhog's Day/Valentine's (science: shadows)
    Dinosaurs (science: living & non-living animalsl)
    Rain/Rainbows/Earth day (science: colors mixing)
    Flowers (science: lifecycles of plants, water)
    Farm/Zoo (science: animal habitats)

Thanks in advance!
    Mel

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Nov 14, 2006

GOOD====
    Swimmy = cooporation. It is a wonderful book.
    Beyond the Ridge = death. This is one to put away to read when there is death.
    CHARLOTTE’S WEB = a chapter book. This book contains so much. Science with the life of a spider, friendship, and more. You might want to consider Charloettes Web video.
    BAD=====
    Kids like Junie B Jones, but the English she uses is so terrible. The books are not good examples and I don't want them in my library. Captain Underpants is a horrible book.

Go to the public library and check out books free. They also have books on tape, puzzles, videos and more. It's all free.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 14, 2006

I would ask a librarian about the best books to use. Sometimes they have a list of "best" books. I attempt to use fact based books--so I avoid bears flying in air planes, and puppies baking cookies. Most quality books leap out and grab you--and you know they are good.

5. KdgtnCop

KdgtnCop Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

Wow! Visit the library for "must haves"....you can take them out again and again. If your child seems to like a certain genre of books, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, latch into his preferences and go with it! Some of my class favorites are actually independent author studies...try Kevin Henkes (Owen, Chrysanthemum, etc), Jonathan London (Froggy), Rosemary Wells (Max and Ruby), and believe it or not, the stories by Madonna, especially Mr Peabody's Apples! Dr. Seuess is good for specific skills- but I'd be careful with the "Seuessian Rhymes" (made up words!)I explain to my class that Dr. Seuess does that, and not all of his characters exist in real life! Other favorites- Eric Carle and Jan Brett....great authors never go out of style.

6. #1StepMom

#1StepMom Rookie

Nov 14, 2006

Froggy!

I have a 6 year old (1st grade) who loves the "Froggy" books. They're very sequential and even the youngest readers can remember the repeating phrases and feel like they're reading. Also, the "Five Little Monkey" books. There are several of them.

7. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Nov 14, 2006

Tomie dePaola books, Mem Fox, Curious George (not the movie book!),For chapter books Junie B.Jones Kindergarten series, and Ready Freddy series.

8. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 14, 2006

9. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Nov 14, 2006

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, The Ramona Series, The Borrowers, Chronicles of Narnia.
    Look for the Caldecott & Newberry books.

10. toystory365

toystory365 New Member

Nov 15, 2006

thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I goggled books for kids & a bunch of libraries have recommened readings posted as well...don't know why I didn't think of that!

Please keep any other suggestions coming! Each month our school sends home a book club order form so I want to have a better idea of what books to look out for.

11. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 22, 2006

Rainbow Fish

The Giving Tree

Corduroy

The Runaway Bunny

Must haves. Look up these authors--their other works are great also.
    :angel: