Must have been a nightmare!

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

I woke up in tears this morning. My wife wondered what was going on and I said that I didn't want to be a disappointment to my family and school system. I honestly felt like I have been doing a poor job in class and people will eventually find out! :(

I know that it's only been a week so I have a chance to get this classroom management working. My wife said that EVERY teacher has had problem kids so my situation is not unique. I guess that made me feel a little better. My eyes are sore from crying and the wife says don't let a group of 8th graders make me lose sleep. I worry that I can follow through with the suggestions offered to me. Confrontation is surely not my strong suit so dealing with discipline issues is uncomfortable. Ironically, I have children and they listen to me, or else! :lol:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2013

Hugs, Pi, and have a hanky. Your students haven't figured it out yet, but they're lucky that you care this much.

Why do you think your own children listen to you? What do you do to make that happen?

4. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Aug 24, 2013

I don't have much advice, but all I can say is that you're not alone in this classroom management thing. I'm also a first year teacher, and I've heard this is a common struggle for all of us! Hang in there!

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 24, 2013

I had my mini breakdown this morning too. From one stressed teacher to another... :hugs: Find something that you can do to completely get your mind off your worries. For me, I hopped on the mower, turned on 80s music, and sweated out my stress. It didn't solve anything, but it put my head in a better place.

6. willow129

willow129 Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

yeah, I definitely understand about worrying about being able to follow advice...I stress about that so hard. Will I pull through when the situation requires it?? You'll have so many times to practice though, because you have a long career ahead of you! Maybe you could ask someone to observe you/and also observe someone else who's been at it for a while!! :) That was really helpful to me and my friend, we were both first year teachers last year :)

7. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

Can you put up a teaching video on youtube so we can give you suggestions?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2013

We can help you too, Milsey. Show us yours.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

Wow.

10. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 30, 2013

Pi, I wish I could tell you that you won't have bad days/weeks/months years from now...but here I am...year 19...and I'm having a heck of a time with this class.

It's a tough job and, unless one is a teacher... one doesn't fully understand all the challenges that go with the occupation.

Hang in there, buddy...and know that if you didn't care this much, you'd be a less-than-efficient teacher. :)

And enjoy this three-day weekend!