Muslim while teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bluejay, May 7, 2012.

1. Bluejay

Bluejay Rookie

May 7, 2012

I have been teaching middle school general science and freshmen biology for 5 years in private Muslim run school. At this point in time I am ready to quit the teaching profession altogether. I love the content and believe in teaching as a very rewarding career but from my personal experinence it is a dead end job with very poor pay and with little respect from the community in general. Before making the final jump (not sure to where yet, I'm pretty open) since I am a hijab wearing individual and while my college experience has been all here in the states, my high school years were overseas and my native language is not English. What is my prospect of getting a teaching position in American public schools. I am not that optimistics that situation will be better for me but I just want to see if there is any sliver of hope for me staying in this profession. ANy feedback is greatly appreciated.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 7, 2012

First of all, welcome! :welcome:

Second, remember to breathe. If you are unhappy teaching in the school where you are, you should feel comfortable looking elsewhere. As long as you have certification from your state, you should be good to go. Having two or more languages mastered should be a strength as a candidate, especially one that is spoken by other recent arrivals to America (Somali speaking teachers are in demand in my area).

As for the hijab, it is a sign of faith, respect, and reverence. Unless the school has an ordinance that students cannot cover their heads or wear religious clothing / accessories of any kind (including crosses), there should be no problem with you wearing yours as a teacher. This is my ideal hope, but it's a sincere belief that you have the right to be happy in the classroom and school that fit your passions as a teacher.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 7, 2012

As long as you can speak and write English fluently, as cat said, I think it would be great for schools to hire you! We definitely need more diversity in teachers, not just in ethnicity, but also beliefs, etc. Students need to grow up learning compassion for people of all types, as it's become a highly globalized world.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 7, 2012

I think you would be hired if you can speak and write English well. I was hired in a diversity job fair, so I know that many schools in my area are looking for diversity.

Best of luck.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 7, 2012

Hello! I do believe your location may play a role. I think it would be difficult for you to obtain a position in my county. Which is sad and...horrible. :(

7. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

May 7, 2012

Unfortunately, I agree. I started my career up near Chicagoland, where this would be far less of an issue. Down here in a more rural area, you wouldn't get hired. That sounds crude, but I live and work among an extremely bigoted community toward a whole variety of things they perceive as "bad". :eek:

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 7, 2012

This is very, very sad.

But I can see why it would be an issue in some areas.

9. Bluejay

Bluejay Rookie

May 8, 2012

Thank you very much everyone for the honest and straight forward reply. I really appreciate it. I pretty much have decided that I will try my best to look for other opportunity. Teaching is just too depressing for me right now. I went to a cardiologist twice for chest pain and he diagnosed me with mental stress.

10. Bluejay

Bluejay Rookie

May 8, 2012

Orangetea,
    Are you from south east asia by any chance?

11. Bluejay

Bluejay Rookie

May 8, 2012

Thank you. It feels so good to be among fellow teachers.:)

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 8, 2012

Oh, YIKES! That's no good. Use the hope of finding something better and happier as a way to relieve much of your personal stress.

If you're worried about your outward showing of your faith being a problem, may I suggest applying in communities that have a fairly large Muslim population? They would hopefully see you as an asset and a role model.

13. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 8, 2012

Wouldn't matter here. We have a couple of Sikh boys here. All I ever hear are compliments from girls on the beautifully colored fabric those head-thingies are made of. I suspect it would be the same for Muslim garb.

Dastar, it turns out.

14. Bluejay

Bluejay Rookie

May 8, 2012

Thanks.
    That was my wish, to be an asset and role model but its not happening. Definitely not going back to my community, sad to say. Unless for some real desperate reason.

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 8, 2012

Bluejay, if you're willing to move, there are places around the country with large Muslim populations, even places you might not thing about. I live in North Dakota, which most people think of as predominately white. Well, while it might be true for the rest of the state, it's not true for the three largest cities. Anytime I go to my kids' schools, I see quite a number of kids wearing various Muslim dress (forgive my ignorance, I don't know the difference between the different types of head scarfs, just that some cover more than others). I can't say, however, that I've ever seen a teacher who's Muslim. I think there should be, considering just how many kids there are.

Regardless of what you decide, you deserve to be happy. Good luck in whatever choice you pursue!

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

Pretty much anywhere in CA will work out for you. Even the more conservative areas have large numbers of southwest asian immigrants, so a person wearing a hijab isn't too off the charts.

17. jenneke607

jenneke607 Rookie

May 15, 2012

At the very least, it's worth applying -- and also thinking about some positive ways to spin your experience. Employers are not quick to hire people that seem frustrated and/or burnt out, so it's important to psych yourself up. This attitude will kill your application far swifter than any religious misconceptions ( as you have surely encountered).

While I personally only wear my hijab on Fridays to attend jumu'ah, I understand that this can be a source of contention, even amongst liberal and tolerant people. While I have not experienced a lot of Islamophobia when I wear my hijab out for errands, I definitely get different looks or feel as if I am treated differently than when I am without it. Granted, I am white and grew up in a Jewish/Christian household, so I don't look like your average Muslim, but still. I put on my hijab at work last week so that it would be in place before I arrived at the mosque, and my coworkers didn't recognize me! (I received questions like: "are you lost? Can we help you find the main office?") It's not like I was wearing a niqab...

18. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

May 18, 2012

Even though most people think conservative when they think Texas, we have a very large Muslim population at my school. Lots of students and a parents wear traditional attire. I don't think you'd have a problem here (especially since you teach science). Now, if you were to leave the city and go out into the country, that would be a different story.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 18, 2012

Although I've not personally worked with someone who wears a hijab, I have been to workshops and conferences that I have seen women wearing one. So, my guess would be that if they would wear their hijab to a workshop that they would also wear it to work.

20. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 18, 2012

I would say that in most places in California (especially the large cities) it would not be a problem. If you are bilingual and speak Farsi, Arabic, or many of the other languages from countries that have a Muslim majority you would be seen as an asset. The difficulty would be the shortage of jobs due to the cuts in funding rather than the hijab. If you have a BCLAD certificate that would be a help.