music....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by drowningintears, Oct 22, 2007.

1. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

so, im a student...and today my LA teacher gave me detention because i listen to "suicidal music" as she likes to call it...so do any of you have any ideas of why she did that, or am i crazy?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

Where you listening to it during her class? If not and it wasn't hindering your learning, then I don't understand the detention.

4. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

I wasnt disturbing the class at all...she told us that we could listen to music or watch a video in the next classroom over, and she simply took one look at my ipod and told me that i had detention for listening to "bad suicide music".

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2007

I'm not sure why she would let you listen to music or watch a video..but given that she did, I don't see the need for the detention. Have you gone to your principal to get their opinion?

6. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

She let us watch videos and listen to music because the rest of the school went on a trip and only a couple students stayed behind (me being one of them, because i have better things to do). The princable says the same thing everytime, "You probably deserve it anyways" if i hear those words one more time i'll go mad. The whole school system is ****ed up...

7. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

Sigh. Music is one misunderstood subject matter. You can blame the Constitution for that. When our Forefathers gave us freedom of speech, I do not think they anticipated the uproars that freedom would cause, or the controversy.

I listen to a lot of different music, some of it with politically controversial lyrics that I am sure some people would not care for. The musicians I listen to do not get a lot of airplay for that reason, save for public radio, because right wing politicians fear the lyrics, and fear people getting ideas.

That is it in a nutshell, drowning. People try to control what they fear. If they cannot understand something, they ban it, or they punish you for it, because they are afraid. It does not make it right, but it is the reality.

You do have the right to listen to what you want on your Ipod, and if you are not causing a disturbance, you should not have to be punished, though each school does have their own discipline policies, and I do not know yours. Sometimes things such as lyrics, tshirts with what some people would consider offensive, dress, hairstyles, etc... are all things addressed by a school so that the general peace can be kept. Same reason we have the Constitution, so we can all (hopefully) learn to live together in our differences.

Do I think it is right you are getting a detention for what you choose to listen to? That's a tough call. It does depend on your school's rules, and unfortunately, rules mean sometimes we have to conform ourselves for the better of the other people around us. There is a time and a place for everything, including listening to what we want to listen to. Sometimes you have to back down and comply with the rules, even if they do not feel right. It's part of becoming an adult.

8. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

I think the teacher maybe didn't do it right because you didn't percieve it as caring. But I'm positive that the teacher took it away because they were worried. Music has a very strong effect on us and listening to messages like that is going to bring you down and make you feel like everything is awful. Is there something else you can listen to? I don't know what's going on in your life, but it seems like you feel that no one is on your side. Do you trust any adults that you know?

9. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

but, we all have a right to say and do whatever we want, to some descent...and its like in school we dont have rights..because the teachers are scared to let us think for ourselves and find out that were smart...or something like that.

The music and lyrics in the songs aren't that bad, they just describe me (or describED). I don't really have any adults in my life that I trust, I don't really trust anyone unless i've known them for a long time...

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

well actually our rights don't include taking away anyone else's rights... understand? I think it's the 9th or 10th amendment. So we need to consider other's rights as well as our own. Not all teachers can do well with attitude, but I bet they'd love to see what you think in a good essay or in a discussion... they tend not to like it if you comments go off topic no matter how insightful your comments would be... so if you keep the comments on topic they will probably love your interest. If it's off topic you could always write down your question and ask at another time...
    What I would like to ask you to do is to google or look in the phone book for some help with this. There are resources out there. I don't know what state you are in, there are several national numbers. Like 1-800-4ACHILD. Those places can give you immediate assistance and also give you other places where you can talk to people. There's a national number for teens, for any kind of assistance they might need and it's all confidential. I wish you would call.

You don't have to trust any one you don't want to and there's nothing wrong with being reserved--that's a good thing. Is anyone bullying you, because if they are get let us know, we can tell you how to get help.

Maybe the lyrics describe how you are feeling but do they really describe You? I'm glad you have music that understands how you feel. I really wish you would give someone in your life a chance. You would probably be surprised at how many people really do care about you. Sometimes they just don't show it in the way you need it. Just remember adults are people too, not perfect, not always doing their best. Doesn't mean they don't care about you.

11. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

Ive given everyone I know a chance, they just never took it...Im not being bullied or anything like that...i just have trust issues...

12. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

well honey please call one of those numbers and let's get someone in your life you can trust. Okay?

13. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

But if I call them...i have to talk about my problems...and im not good at doing that...especially with a random stranger...

14. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

These are people who are trained, they know how to talk to people and listen. Just give it a try. I'm sure everyone who calls them starts out uh, uh...silence...uh... :) They know how to help. My kids said to tell you that they've felt all of the things you're talking about and so have their friends. And I can tell you that one of them listens to Celtic music which I consider extremely depressing... :) I make her go into her room to listen to it. All kidding aside, we're all rooting for you and you're going to make it through this. You've got to know that there will be hard times in your life but they will pass. Do you like to read, by the way?

15. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

drowning, I am sorry you are going through this. I remember being a teen, and I have two teenagers myself, and I know it is not an easy age, and especially when you feel like you have no one who listens to you.

There are people available to talk to you, as I mentioned on the other thread, counselors who are trained, who will talk and listen, and help you through whatever it is that you are going through. Please take the steps to find someone irl to speak to.

16. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

I always tell my sister, who is also afraid to call people and discuss her feelings or fears, that she will never meet that person IRL, so it doesn't matter if they think she is stupid, scared, silly, or anything else...what matters is that they are giving her the help she needs.

I hope you get the help you want!!

17. drowningintears

drowningintears Rookie

Oct 23, 2007

I'll try. thanks...

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 23, 2007

Or call the Boys Town Hotline. They are trained to help teens, children, adults, anyone who needs to talk about things like you seem to need to. It's all confidential. You really do need to speak with someone. I wish I could help, but forums are more limiting than a phone conversation. 1-800-448-3000

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 23, 2007

You're talking to us. You're reaching out and trying to make connections.

20. maroki

maroki Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

Another thing I just thought of that might help when you call someone would be to write down what you want to say, and basically just read it to them.

I do that sometimes when I am going to make a difficult phone call or have a stressful conversation with a parent...and it makes it much easier when I'm saying it for real.

Write down what you want to say, how you feel, and what you want to communicate. Practice reading it out loud, then call someone. Believe me, they'll be more than happy to listen, even if you are reading something that you wrote. Any of the numbers listed by other posters would be a great place to start...

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 23, 2007

It does sound like you have more going on than just unpleasant teachers who don't like you (or your music). Maybe what you need is to get to the deeper issues. I'm not saying it will be easy; it won't. But it's like any other cleaning job. Things always get messier before they get cleaner. As long as you keep sifting through all the mess it will eventually get cleared away. It may take a while, but it will happen.

I wish I could be more help, but I just don't know how. Please, call a hotline or someone who has been trained to help troubled individuals. You seem to really need someone who can offer you sound advice. I'm not sure I can.

My prayers are with you.

22. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Oct 23, 2007

drowning, we are all random strangers. :D

Talking, whether on the phone, on the internet, or face to face, especially with people who are unbiased, is a great way to get things out. I have worked with women who are domestic violence victims on a hotline, and trust in the fact that people who work on hotlines are trained, and have very likely been there themselves at one point or another, so can put themselves in your shoes and help you through it.

I am a mom, and a future teacher, and though I have taken a lot of psych classes, I am not a psychologist. I am just someone who hates to see anyone hurting, and you seem to be doing just that. I can't do anything other than "listen", but there are people irl that can offer you more than just an ear. Please seek them out, ok?

23. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2007

I myself have to go chat with the irl kids here. :) We'll keep you in our prayers, you're going to be okay. It will start getting better right away, you'll see. Just don't forget to do your part too and give others a chance. Suenos con los angeles, hijo/a.

24. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Oct 24, 2007

Listen. You need to cut this emo stuff out and seek professional help if you feel the way you do about your life. I know some of the music you probably listen to and while I think it is utter crap, in some less savvy peoples minds, it is setting off alarms and red flags. Proceed with caution.

25. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 24, 2007

Jarenko,

After reading your posts on this thread and many others, I worry about you becoming a teacher, and worry about the future students you may have. What you express in writing is harsh, and I hope you do not speak that way to kids, or speak in such a tone.