Music while they work

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mom&teacher, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I play music while my kids are doing quiet work, but I only have 1 cd that I'm using because I don't listen to much music and I know that this one is okay and the kids like it.

Does anyone know of any other songs that I could play? I want more up to date music, but okay to play in school. I know of a lot of oldies songs, but not sure if the kids will be into them.

3. JRR

JRR Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

There are alot of CD's out there that you can buy with updated songs that kids sing instead of the original artist. The kids seem to like those. I don't know if that helps. :)

4. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

My kids love listening to classical music. They'll often recognize a piece of music from a cartoon. My favourite is when they ask for a specific piece - usually by the "la la la" method!

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 21, 2007

What grade do you teach? I was considering doing this, but I'm not sure how it will go over. I teach seventh grade. I wanted to play classical music too, but I'm not sure if it will keep them quiet or make them talk or be noisy of they don't like it. I guess all I can do is try...

6. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I would guess that your second graders would be into just about anything from the Disney Channel shows...Hannah Montana, High School Musical 1 or 2, the Jonas brothers... I think these should all be appropriate as they are from Disney for children. My 10 year old also likes John Mayer, Michael Buble, and that kind of music which is relatively harmless but fun. You might try some of the School House Rocks CD's which are fun to listen to and teach something too.

7. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I have a couple easy listening cd's for reading/writing time. I just bought one from Target out of one of those little kiosk things that you can preview. I've also heard that Enya is a good choice for relaxing music to play while kids work.

8. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 21, 2007

I teach Special Ed. My students over the last 7 years have ranged from first graders to eighth graders. This year I will have students from grades 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I've done the classical music thing with all of them when they are doing quiet work like writing in their journals, or even doing math work. For the older kids, start them off with music that they would recognize - and there are a number of classical CDs out there that are geared for kids. Even if they say they hate it, play it anyway during a specific activity. You'd be surprised at how excited they get when they hear it on the radio or on TV; they will tell you all about it the next day! There's no harm in trying. It might surprise you.

A colleague who taught grade 7 used classical music for art. She had the students draw lines to represent the music that they were hearing, i.e. curvy, straight, wavy, loopy... well, I'm sure you get the picture (no pun intended! :lol: ).

9. jellokites

jellokites Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I have heard that playing the music helps them, and if you keep playing it daily, they will ask for it if you do not play it!

I have various classical music cds, plus a few that have music with the nature sounds in the background.

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I played music from several different Enya CD's as well as classical last year. They really liked it at first, and if I forgot to put it on in the morning, more then a few would remind me that I forgot. It's also amazing to see how calm they become when they hear their favorite song from one of the CD's. They are very relaxed and comfortable when it is on softly in the background. I usually only use it for independent work time, though.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 21, 2007

Quantum Learning uses a lot of music (a HIGHLY recommended seminar-if I never take another workshop, QL will be enough). Here is some music I have had success with:

Disney movie soundtracks-I especially love Madagascar, lots of varying speeds of songs.

Someone mentioned the kiosks at Target, etc-great source. My favs are Spanish guitar (surprisingly soothing), Caribbean rhythms, Celtic anything (don't think bagpipes-it is really beautiful). All great for work time.

Titanic soundtrack-great Celtic sounds, very soothing

Top Gun soundtrack-inspirational, pump-up music

Hits of the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.-only play when you don't mind if they sing along.

TV Theme songs-lots of fun and fits a lot of different subjects.

A friend gave me an instrumental CD to sci fi moves (Back to the Future, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc)-love it for science or trying new things.

In general, don't buy CDs for one song-go for the soundtracks or mix CDs. Search the endcaps and bargain bins-the kids don't really care that it's not actually Will Smith singing Gettin' Jiggy Wit It on my party CD-it sounds close and they love it. Ask your music teacher-they are always getting free samples. Search your own music collection-you'd be surprised what you can find.

Hope this helps! I am BIG on music-it took a while to get other teachers in my school interested, but they are catching on. We had testing the other day, I was out with a group, and another teacher was watching my class. I had Caribbean rhythms on while they were working, and before I got back, the CD changed to the next disk-Madagascar, which the second song is "I Like to Move It". She was amazed at the change in the kids-they went from quietly working to bouncing in their seats and talking way too much. She was convinced of the benefits!

Good luck,
    kcjo

12. danic

danic Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I listen to some of my favorite CDs, I just pre-screen them first. Paul Simon is a big hit, as is some of my international music. You can even make a mixed CD with your favorite songs to make sure they're kid appropriate (during art, if I'm OK with kids being more energetic, I can even play U2!) I've noticed that if it's a calming song, kids are more focused and less likely to talk. I really like it in the morning because if I'm playing calming music, kids get straight to work on their bell work and don't spend as much time chatting with each other.

I say go for it!

13. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 21, 2007

I heard the curious george soundtrack is really good. I also play a lot of classical, usually during writing. I have some disney soundtracks during other independent work times, when I don't mind them being a little bit silly.

14. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

I recently bought a CD from Target (Back to School section around the teacher's stuff) that has kid-friendly versions of classical music, and it was only 3 or 4 dollars. I have never used music before in my classroom, but I'm really excited to try it. I'm not sure if they still have the CD, but it's worth a try.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 22, 2007

Putumayo Kids CD's make world and folk music. I have a few of their CD's. I just bought an Asian Lullaby CD that I will add to my morning music. I play very quiet music in the morning, and they come in and do journals or SSR first thing. I also buy classical and some meditation type CD's from Target for the morning.

For more fun CD's, I just burn my own from my music collection, keeping in mind what the kids would like.

I don't buy the Disney CD's simply because kid get enough media exposure. I think they can do without it for a few hours a day. I really feel like my job is to expose them to music they would not hear otherwise...

This year I will do music during our end of the day clean up, which will be peppy, fun music. Again, it's only my music right now, but I may add some of their choices if appropriate or if it goes with a theme. Some of the bands I play for the kids that I like are : U2, REM, Presidents of the USA (There is a really cute song called
    "Dune Buggy") Weezer, White Stripes (very cute song called "I can tell that we are going to be friends") and a few others. I make a mix of songs I think the kids will like but don't go out of my way to buy anything like Kids Bop because it would drive me NUTS!

16. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I like the Dr. Jean songs (tooty ta) and some of the Greg and Steve cds. If you look up kids music on amazon they will let you listen to a sampling of each song so you can pick the cd that matches with some of your themes or topics. I also have a wee sing that has old standard kids songs most of the kids like to sing along with during art.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

How about either Fantasia soundtrack?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 22, 2007

I got the Heigh Ho Mozart CD. It is made up of Disney songs performed by orchestra's in the style of various composers - Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, etc. Today, however, I played the Macarena. It may be the last time I do that.

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

I got two sets of CD's this summer at Wal-Mart to add to our classical collection for my group since I have several of the same kids this year through looping. I will look at the titles when I go back to school tomorrow because they love them. I keep them on in the background while they are working on anything (morning work, math independent practice, reading centers, ssr @ the end of the day). If I forget to turn on the CD player they will ask if they can turn it on.

20. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I usually only play instrumental music (classical, slower jazz) while they are doing real 'work', but there are fun kid's songs that we play when all they have to do is draw or color...that sort of stuff. I think it is too hard to listen to words and have to read or write other words at the same time. The fun kids stuff can be the KIDZ BOP series, I also love the Boynton books that come with CD's, such as Philadelphia Chickens. Check them out on Amazon.

21. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

Best Buy and Walmart have good priced CD sets. They have classical and relaxing (which are great for seatwork) and also kids mixes (for the morning or end of the day). I recenty purchased a KidzBop CD and was pleased. The songs are current but no bad language or "booty popping" happening. :lol:

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 22, 2007

I don't know much about "current" music, but studies have shown that children who listen to Bach and Mozart in the classroom during tests perform better on the tests. Another thought would be Native American flute music -- it is soothing and won't overpower what you are doing in the classroom.

23. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

music-- yes!

Someone once told me they read a study that was done to see if people learned better when they listen classical music. So i began using that in y class. This year I am alll high tech and plan to download music on my MP3 player and then use my portable speakers to play it. I notice all the rooms have a boom bo but its 2007 MP3s are the best! Just a note on Napster (there is a small membership fee) they have some good songs that I use in m class for lessons, like a song about the planets and one about nouns and pronouns. Then you dont have to be stuck with all these Cds you can update your playlists and add new songs all the time!

24. polgacri

polgacri Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I play a cd from "The Mozart Effect" series as the students enter in the morning and while they write in their journal. I'm not sure how much it calms them/helps them work better, but I enjoy it and definitely notice if I forget to play it!

25. MtotheC

MtotheC Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

do you have any suggestions for 5th grade appropriate music that would go along with studying the early explorers (columbus, cabot, magellan, etc.)? i want to play themed music to go with each day's lesson and I so far only have Pirates of the Caribbean that I've felt went with our whole explorers theme.

26. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

There's a classical music station in my area, so that's what I play for the kids while they work sometimes. Another teacher in my school puts on a light jazz station which works well too.

When they ask why we listen to classical I tell them because they aren't distracted by the words, and that studies have shown it stimulates the creative centers of the brain. :) I also think it's good to expose them to it when they might otherwise not really hear that type of music.

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2007

Try looking up "sea chanteys" on your favorite browser... for an explanation, see http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-sea-chanteys.htm. I just found these:

http://www.amazon.com/Rogues-Gallery-Pirate-Ballads-Chanteys/dp/B000GGSMD0
    http://www.contemplator.com/sea/, "Songs of the Sea"
    http://www.whalingmuseumstore.org
    https://www.calacademy.org/research/anthropology/tap/archive/2001/2001-07--chanteys.html

If there isn't something here, I'd be surprised: http://www.cumbavac.org/Explorers.htm