Music to start class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by iheart5thgrade, Jul 2, 2009.

1. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Do any of you use music to start your class? I'm talking about music playing while they come in, unpack, and get ready for your subject?

If so, what songs do you use? I'm not necessarily talking about "educational songs"...it could be any good music for the classroom. Ideas? I once heard of a writing teacher who started class with Natasha Beddingfield's "Unwritten"...and I thought that was SO cute....what has someone else used?

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I have a soundtrack for all of our transitions. I change it up each year. Most recently I created a playlist in iTunes. The day started with "Start the Party"(I think from Camp Rock). That song would allow them enough time to unpack, go to their lockers and get settled. It immediately would transistion into classical music. They were to be at their seats and starting the morning work (changed as the year progressed between: handwriting, journals and silent reading). The classical music would play for about 15 minutes. This gave me a chance to do attendance, check in folders/homework and sometimes meet 1:1 with a child to review a skill. The song "We're All in this Together" would play and that signaled the transition to put away the morning work and come over for our morning meeting.

I use songs throughout the day as transitions. It eliminates me having to verbally be talking over them with directions. They know exactly what to do when certain songs will play.

I used 'unwritten' for writing.

I also played 'Upside Down' (Jack Johnson) for science.

4. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jul 3, 2009

Great idea with the timing of the music selections!

I sing for almost every transition time. It gets them focused pretty quick and it's a brain break.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2009

Saw a video of a class where the teacher played "Don't Worry, Be Happy' when the children entered the class....by the time the song was over they were expected to have pencils sharpened, backpacks put away and at their desks...

6. terptoteacher

Jul 3, 2009

Love this idea!!!!!! Plus I love Jack Johnson!!! I just got a cd player that has an Ipod hook up, so I think I'm going to make a playlist for this! I thought about putting all my cd's on my ipod, but I have 40 or 50 cds!!!! That's a long time infront of the computer!

7. terptoteacher

Jul 3, 2009

And apparently I like exclamation points!!!!!!:p

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 3, 2009

I love this idea! I would love to hear all of the songs that you transitioned with throughout the year. How did you introduce all of the transitions to your students?

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 3, 2009

I use clean popular music. My kids love it!

10. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Jul 3, 2009

In one class, I used Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi and other famous composers. Used one composer every month and taught them the titles of the compositions and a little bit about the composer as well.
    By the end of the year they could recognize and name about 25 famous pieces plus composer. :thumb:
    I used it for transitions but also for background music in art and sometimes Mozart for math as well.. Playing softly in the background..

That was the only class I used music with. Come to think of it, I'll do it again this fall, I think.. :cool:

Mozart effect and everything.. :)

11. terptoteacher

Jul 3, 2009

I play a lot of music but not specific songs for specific actions.
    I mostly play quiet background music while they work....
    Gary Jess, George Winston, those "relaxing" spa cd's at the Target kiosk.....

But the idea that when they hear a specific song, they know, "oh, this song means it's check in time...."
    Then the music segues into a different song and the children know that means to get out a pencil and start working on morning/bell work....

yup, gonna do it

12. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 3, 2009

Love this idea!

I like the Don't Worry, Be Happy!

One teacher would play Rainbow Connection. Another would always play We're All in This Together.

I'll have think about this...might want to do this.

13. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Jul 5, 2009

I use music when students enter/unpack/morning procedures. It's on (very quietly) for about 15 minutes. In the morning I use patriotic songs ("America The Beautiful", "Star Spangled Banner", etc). I find that the music helped the kids relax and get right to work in the morning. They even started singing along as they unpacked.
    For Writer's Workshop I usually play Unwed Sailor (it's upbeat instrumental). This year I'm thinking of finding wordless soundtracks of music they would know (from Disney and Pixar movies). I may use Pandora Radio to make a station (if I can play it through my school's computer).

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I have the soundtracks from Pirates of the Caribbean and one of the Narnia movies. They are instrumental, and are semi-upbeat without being distracting. I would play them during writing workshop or when working on art projects, etc. The kids loved them!

I really like the idea of the opening "schedule" music...what a great way to keep them moving along :)

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I love soundtracks & classical throughout the day. One teacher used the clean version of the Black Eyed Peas "Let's Get It Started" at the beginning each semester to get her kids rolling. They *loved* it!

16. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jul 8, 2009

My friend uses Greg & Steve's "Good Morning".

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

I used to use music, but the school that I was at would play music instead of a bell. The kids knew they had to be in the room by the end of the song. Sometimes it would play so loud I'd shut my door.

18. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 8, 2009

I love this idea! What grade do you teach? I might try this in Kinder! I like to have music going. Drawing/painting to music is fun. Also, another transition activity as a "quick break" between activities/subjects, have them move to music (how does the music make you feel...)

19. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2009

love love love to use music

20. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I love using music in my room. We listened to a lot of international music last year. My students enjoyed listening to Latin, Hmong, German, and other foreign language music. It also brought in Social Studies because we found the countries on the map. The Nepal music was their favorite :) Crazy :)

I don't have my CDs home with me or I'd give titles... I am sure there are plenty on iTunes or similar sites.

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 8, 2009

I love all these suggestions and hope this thread is still arond when I have time to write some suggestions down!

22. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

I love this idea! I think it would be a great way to start a class.

23. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Do you use the same song each morning for the entire year or do you switch it up? Did you find that it worked consistently throughout the entire year?

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2009

How about the Fantasia soundtracks? They're gorgeous!