music theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ArizonaTeacher, Jul 31, 2007.

1. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am trying to plan ideas for a music theme but I am really getting stuck on art. What kind of art could I do with a music theme besides make different types of instruments? What topics should I cover during circle time? Do you know of any fun activities you could recommend? Thanks for your help!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Draw while music is playing?

4. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 31, 2007

Art: Make wrist or ankle bracelets with bells on them, make shakers using paper towel rolls, add beans, staple closed (I'd place tape over the staples for safety), add streamers, etc. Paint/draw to various music, a variety of tempos & styles. Collage of instruments (find pictures in old school catalogs). Paint or draw a song-children listen/sing/move to, a familar song then illustrate it. Maybe wrapping paper with musical notes on it-they could paint on it at the easel.
    Circle time: Use various movement activities with instruments and/or scarves while listening to various types/styles/tempos of music. How does the music make you feel? Intro the families of the ochestra (Pre-K can get into this too). Concepts- fast/slow, loud/soft, high/medium/low notes- Papa Bear (low voice), Mama Bear (medium voice), baby Bear (high voice), children change their voice as they move up & down). Games- guess the instrument (out of sight shake a bell, play a triangle, drum etc., children guess what instrument they hear. You can also show a variety of instruments then cover them, remove one without the children seeing it, remove cover, they guess which is missing. Have guests come in & play various instruments. Clap, stomp, snap...rhythms using their names, nursery rhymes, songs. Use rhythm sticks. There's a lot of great movement activity CDs- Hap Palmer, Dr. Jean..... Make up songs as a class, children are always asking me to listen to a song they can sing (some real, some they make up as they go). Add a variety of song books (great role playing). Learn a song in sign language. Hope this helps. Have fun!

5. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

great ideas...thanks so much!