Music theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by RedVac, Mar 25, 2010.

1. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Mar 25, 2010

Any ideas for Music Theme? We are doing this in April in my 3's and PreK. I do have a sign up for parents to play instruments in class. Looking for ways to really expand this.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 26, 2010

make instruments...

*shakers with either TP tubes, water bottles or paper plates that you staple shut
    *Rainstickes--- TP tubes, toothpicks (cut the end off after you get them secured), rice
    *egg shakers- fill with any number of things
    *tambourines could be paper plates with jingle bells...
    *drums are empty containers
    *string rubber bands over open box tops...
    *Water glasses with different amounts of water in them...

I bet your kids could invent more :)

With those, you can talk about pitch and dynamics... is it high or low? Loud or soft?

*Play listening lotto... you can buy pre-made games, or just put together a variety of sounds, kids play like Bingo or just guess aloud what the sounds are.

*Play a mystery music game... after you've experimented with a variety of instruments, have one child play one of them (hidden from view) and other kids have to guess which instrument made that sound.

*Tak about beats/rhythm... clap or play instruments to imitate the rhythm (there's a great Jim Gill song called Follow the Band that does this). Count the beats... are these 2 patterns the same or different?

Are you anywhere near a school that has a band? Even beginning band students would probably LOVE to show their instruments off to your class... or go hear the jr high or high school band or orchestra, even if it's during a rehearsal. I've had jr high kids demonstrate their violins, flutes, trumpets, whatever to kids. They love it all around.

4. carebear1

carebear1 New Member

Mar 26, 2010

When i did music i had some really fun activities my classroom is divided in centers. So i turned my dramatic play into a stage and let the children play musical instruments and made microphones out of toilet paper holders. We made musical instruments for arts. Listened to different kinds of music. In my sensory table i had music notes with white sand. It was a lot of fun the children really enjoyed it.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 26, 2010

Bobby McFarren has a clean version of Wizard of OZ that is all his voice doing different sounds. My children found that very amazing, and spent a lot of time working out how to make those sounds.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

Have students close their eyes and listen to a particular kind of music - classical, jazz, etc... it is better if it doesn't have words. Then, play it again and have them draw a continuous line that matches what they hear (stress that they aren't "drawing" anything). Play different kinds of music and repeat with new paper and compare the different pictures.

Have students start on one side of the room, play different styles of music and have them walk/march to the other side of the room to the music, repeat with different styles and have them discuss how their steps changed.

7. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 10, 2010

I know this is an old post but I wanted to share one of my favorite ideas.

We always listen to Peter and the Wolf (each character represented by a different instrument) and then we read one of our favorite stories with lots of characters (this year it was the Mixed Up Chameleon, last year it was I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly) and let the kids "be" the characters by playing an instrument each time the character is mentioned.

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I love these ideas :) I am not very good with music so this gives me good ideas on how to incorporate it into the classroom. Thanks!