Music & Movement

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Butterfly4, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

What does everyone do for Music & Movement? The last teacher I worked with just played music and let the kids dance around...thats it.

I'm teaching a three hour program, and I really don't have time for Music. However, with Florida's hurricane/stormy season here through November, I will have plenty of rainy days where we can't go outside, so I will do music then. I just need some ideas.

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jul 29, 2006

My favorite to do with kids is Dr. Jean cd's. The kids really like them, and they are alot of fun. I also have tried a group called "The Learning Station"- the kids loved some of their songs, especially Tony Chestnut. The Adults like that too. I also do the chicken dance, limbo, the freeze, and bean bag records when we can't go outside.

4. star9305

star9305 Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

My students like Dr. Jean too, but they love Greg & Steve and Jim Gill Cd's more. All most all of their songs have movement to go along with them and they work on lots of academic skills (numbers, letters, rhyming, opposites). Some of their favorites are: The Mack Chicken Dance, May there always be sunshine ( I made my own book for this one), List of Dances, Jumping and Counting, Number and ABC Rock just to name a few. Jim Gill has 4 cd's out and I use all of them Greg & Steve has quite a few but I have about 3 that are my favorites.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

The CDs are great ideas because you don't have to re-invent the wheel! Music & Movement is not my expertise and I struggle here too. Often I resort to the Movement part. We act out stories, play moving games like London Bridges Falling Down, and incorperate props like a wooden blocks and scarves. With blocks I ask children to balance on, stand behind/in-front/beside, switch w/ a friend, etc. I look forward to reading other's suggestions!

6. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Jul 30, 2006

Vannapk, I guess I didn't express myself correctly. I AM planning on doing a lot of singing, fingerplays and actions to songs during circle time, during clean up, line up, etc. I know it is important. I was just looking for some suggestions I guess for those rainy days to use musical instruments and lots of movement.

Thanks for the suggestions though! =)

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2006

Butterfly.......have you ever used the music from "Peter And The Wolf"? That would be an excellent rainy day story/music to use. It teaches children about different instruments, etc. They can dance to the different rhythmic patterns in it too. You could do this for several sessions. My Kinders love Peter and The Wolf.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 30, 2006

Sorry Butterfly4- I misunderstood :(

9. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 30, 2006

How about My Lovely Lycra - this is so much fun and great for developing coordination, gross motor skills and is just plain fun.
    Another musical game is Cockroach. The children are shown the actions ; Fork - stand up with arms up like a fork, Spoon - hands joined above head in a circle, Knife arms up and Cockroach- children lay on their backs on the floor with their arms and legs moving around. They dance to music, when the music stops the teacher calls out one of the words and the children have to recall the actions.
    For recognising different tempos - use a drum for walking, maraccas for running, triangles for tippy toes, tambourine for skipping etc. You play the instruments and the children respond.
    Another activity i used to do was tell stories with the instruments. I would divide the children into small groups and each group would have a different instrument (one for each child) I would make up a story involving the weather, and they would listen for their cue.
    While they are in these groups you could sing 'I am a fine Musician'.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 31, 2006

Music and movement

My 4-year olds love using rhythm sticks. There are CD's that cultural provide songs and movements. I also taught them basic movements from 50's, 60's and 70's songs (the hand jive, jerk, swim, pony, a watered down hustle) and played the music. Next year I will add some classical to use with scarves. They love Greg & Steve's "The Freeze'', Listen & Move", and "The Boogie Walk"

11. mrod

mrod Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

The Flight of the Bumbleebee

At the lab preschool at the university I attend we cannot just use music during our music and movement time. It was kind of hard getting together a file folder of 35 activities I cannot remember some of them off the top of my head but i'll get them for you. But one acitivty was putting on the classical music The Flight Of the Bumblebee and have the children fly around the room like bumblebees while making the buzz noise. A teacher holds a bell and every time she rings the bell the children have to attach themselves to other children holding hands, then they would fly around the room as partners. Then again the teacher would ring the bell and the children have to attach themeselves to other bees. You continue this way until the entire class is one large bee. I'll look for the other activities for you as well.

12. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 6, 2006

These are things I do in my kinder music classes that could be adaptable to pre-k. In fact I do some of these with my pre-k summer school kids.

1. I suggest looking into Raffi CD's or videos (the videos have get up & move songs too) ---my kinders love his songs. One that comes to mind is "Bumping up and down in my little red wagon" and the kids act out the motions for it.
    2. "Head, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes (I downloaded a great one that goes through the song and leaves out a word in each verse & hums instead. Like "hmm, shoulders...etc., then hmm, hmm, knees and toes. So eventually you are humming every body part. Then the last verse adds the words back, but goes super fast. It takes at least 4 mintues and we are EXHAUSTED by the time it is over.
    3. Woodie Guthrie's "Put your finger in the air" Once the kids know the song, work in partners/groups and have them touch their
    partner(s) fingers, shoe, etc.
    4. Act out "Five Little Monkey's Jumping on the Bed' (remember chanting is a great basis for learning rhythms). I also act out "Roll Over" (There were ten in the bed & the little one said, "roll over, roll, over...so they all rolled over & one fell out...)
    5. If you can find Elmo's Alphabet rap, my kids LOVE to free dance to that. I call them their "cool moves"---you'll be cracking up at their "moves".
    6. A good game of freeze dance is always fun---play music...when the music stops, the kids freeze.
    7. I have a song called the "popcorn song" and the kids act like kernels of popcorn popping.
    8. "Alison's Camel has 10 Humps"
    9. "James Brown" (" a walking down the street trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents"---walk in place to a beat) ("He missed, he missed, he missed like this, like this like this"(jump to the beat).
    10. MY KIDS Prek-1 ALL TIME FAVORITE "All Around the Kitchen"---directional song.
    11. ABC Rock
    12. Use the story of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears to discuss "High, Middle, Low" Use the H, M, L voices to tell the story and let the kids practice them. Move to show H, M, L
    13. Have you heard of Lumni Sticks? I's basically rhythm sticks ( you could use dowel rods cut into 12 inch pieces) and make up routines to a song. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Pick a fun song and tap the floor, tap the sticks above the head, tap in front, tap behind. Sometimes I even play follow the leader with this. Will reinforce folliwing directions/leader & keeping a beat.
    14. Put on patriotic music and have a parade (work on marching) Make maracas with to decorated paper plates & streamers stapled with beads inside. We also have dress up parades for "Halloween On Parade" and just for fun sometimes---can use any fun song.
    15. Make "Shape Music" Have students cut out shapes (triangles, squares, etc, and display in an order. Assign an instrument for each shape. Point to each shape at a time and have that instrument play (or make noise) in order or just point randomly to a shape. When you point to the shape, those instruments play---teaches students to pay attention and look at "music".
    16. Add sound effects to the "Wheels on the Bus". Ex: The money goes clink, clink, clink...talk about what instruments would be the best choice to make a clinking sounds *tambourine), wheel sound, windshield wiper (scrapers or maracas) (they don't have to sound exactly like it...just similar. The point is that the students learn to play at the appropriate time.
    17. Add clock sounds to "Hickory Dickory Dock" with sticks or woodblocks. If you have a xylophone, take turns letting the students play up and down the pitches on the words "up" and "down".
    18. Work on singing on pitch...at this age, play games that give the students a chance to sing individualliy. I ALWAYS use made up songs that sound like "nah, ni, nah, ni boo boo" Ex: have students close eyes. Pass out colors to some students and let them look, then hide the color. Sing "who has the yellow" Then the student witht the yellow card echos back what you sang (remember to make it sound like nah ni)....that's how young students develop pitch recognition.

19. There are so many new versions of "If You're Happy & You Know"...my favorite has sad, mad, excited, scared---talk about fun to act out. I always pretend like I'm crying on the sad, and the kids can't keep a straight face.

20. Voice/name recognition. One student sits facing away from the group---no peeking) :) The students sit in a circle and pass a penny while chanting: "Acka lacka tacka lacka Jeremiah Joe. Everybody's voice sound different you know. Acka Lacka tacka lacka Minnesota Mack, who has the penny beind their back" Whoever has the penny when the chant stops says or sings any pitch "I have the penny behind my back". THe person in the chair guesses who has the penny without looking. SO MUCH FUN! I have another game similar to this for Halloween if you want it.

21. Teach movements & chant: Hello Neighbor (wave), what do you say (point 3 times)It's going to be a wonderful day (hands in air). So clap 3 times, and boogie on down, give a little jump and turn around" We do this as a big group, but then do facing partners, and switch partners.

I hope these are what you were wanting...it's a little bit of moving, singing, and instruments. Check out the Music In Motion website---they have a whole early childhood section. If you need any more ideas, let me know...those were just off the top of my head, and I know if I looked at my books I could give you more ideas. Sorry if there are typos...I'm tired & going to bed instead of proofreading.

13. chrisb718

chrisb718 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I too love Dr Jean and The Learning Station. We do a song from one of these CD's daily. I have put batteries in our CD player so that we are able to do them outside also. Christal