Music/Movement Suggestions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacher36, Sep 18, 2008.

1. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

My CD collection is quite boring besides my Beth and Scott CD which I really like. Does anyone have suggestions for great CDs for music and movement? I teach Pre-K. Thanks!

3. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

Dr. Jean, all of her cd's are great! We love Tooty Ta and The Button Factory in my class, those 2 songs are requested everyday!

4. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Sep 18, 2008

Jack Hartman makes some awesome stuff, too! I love the Gingerbread Man CD (ABC disco is a favorite off of that one)...also, not sure who does them (they're on a mix cd from a former co-worker), but my kids love the Freeze Song, Body Talk, Body Rock & Moving Everyday (I think some are Jack Hartman as well)

5. forkids

forkids Cohort

Sep 18, 2008

Greg & Steve CDs are great. My students LOVE them and beg for the songs and activities over and over. My favorite is Kids In Action.

6. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

Thanks for the ideas. I just googled all of the artists mentioned and will try to pick up the CDs. Any ideas where I can get them cheap???

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 18, 2008

Okay, this isn't legal but its free. Go to your local libraries and look for CDs in the children's section. Sometimes you can find good music to copy.

8. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, already on it!;)

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 18, 2008

Greg & Steve are a must (I love Animal Actions!) and Dr. Jean is great too :2up:

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

I love New Bridge for Learning CDs. They have a lot of great music and movement CDs that require the children to listen and dance and move the way the words say to-- they are set up in different catagories like community helpers, language, fine motor, large motor, etc. . . .all kinds of different catagories

11. Erin720

Erin720 New Member

Sep 19, 2008

I have to agree with the suggestions of Dr.Jean and Greg and Steve. Dr. Jean especially has so many songs that teach but that the kids absolutely love (Ever since I played Alphardy for them--teaches letters and letter sounds--they've begged me to play it every single day since). My kids are also huge fans of Laurie Berkner (especially her Whaddya Think of That? CD) and I recently got a Hap Palmer CD, which they love now too. I know that for all those I mentioned except for Greg and Steve (can only get a hard copy as far as I know), the music can be bought online and downloaded immediately so you don't need to wait for a CD to ship. Also easier to make multiple or replacement copies this way.

check out "songs for teaching . org" (no spaces but I can't post links because i'm new)...theres a lot of great stuff there. You need to buy them but for many of them you can sample several songs to get an idea of what they sound like

12. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to build my music library. I love the website that lets me hear the song before I buy it!!! I also ordered some from my library (Dr. Jean and Greg and Steve) to see what I like before I buy. Thanks again!!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

ditto! They also have one called Kids in Motion, and their entire series called We All Live Together! Good for learning spanish too!

Two other artists include Ella Jenkins is another and Nelson Gil

oh, and the Bean Bag songs. Takes all the guesswork out of what you should be doing to promote gross motor skills.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2008

that amazon.com is my second home! I stay there as much as I visit here!

you can play the whole cd, and decide which is better for your $$!

word to the wise. copy your cds, and put them up. some cd players will not take the copied cds. Most will. Keep the cds in cases...silly for me to tell you I know, but they are so fragile! Write your name on them. They will walk away! :eek::rolleyes:

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 27, 2008

I don't keep my cds in the cases--for space reasons-- I actually bought a 3 ring binder and I found at walmart in the cd cases section refills for those expensive cd notebook type holders. each "page" holds like 9 cds and there are like 5 in a box. they were less than 5 dollars I believe per box. te binder cost me 1.49 on sale and I got white. I actually bought two binders and two sets of the pages (they fit right into a 3 ring binder and still protect the cds really well. One binder I marked music cds and the other I marked story cds. Its easier to find what i want with just a few flips of the pages and if I want to transport them home or to another classroom for some reason it's easy to just pick up the binder and walk

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2008

hmmm... I've seen other teachers do that too! Guess I don't have a large collection to consider that move... but I will keep it in mind.

Raffi is another favorite artist. It is good to get a variety of songs, especially folks songs, and musicians from different cultures/languages. You can have music/movement and multicultural activities at the same time!

17. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

I know for Dr. Jean you can go to her website and listen to most of the songs. You also purchase the songs/cds online and you get the link so you have them almost immediately than you just need to download it to a cd. I'm not sure about Greg and Steve but most artist are doing that these days.

18. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Sep 29, 2008

I also love Greg and Steve as well as Dr. Jean. For just "Fun" music, I put on the backyardigans CD (my own children's-we LOVE it) or Laurie Berkner (also my children's). Laurie Berkner is featured on Jack's Big Music Show a lot, and of course the Backyardigans have their own show. It gives them something different to listen to!

(And I do lots of classical music during quiet work time and resting time-supposed to help the brain grow).

19. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 29, 2008

I use Greg & Steve CD's A LOT, along with Dr. Jean "Kiss Your Brain". I also use Tony Chestnut, but can't remember who the CD is by....